It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1700's Chew House is Unearthed in Maryland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Archaeologists have located the site of a mansion on the Chesapeake bay which is said to be larger than the Governor's palace in Williamsburg VA.
The Chew family moved to the area in the mid 1600's after first settling in Jamestown VA.

The predecessor of the McMansion

DEALE - Anne Arundel County archaeologists knew they were looking for one of 18th-century Maryland's rich and famous.

Samuel Chew was a well-connected Quaker planter and merchant, and his home on a knoll above the Chesapeake Bay was an early landmark, used by ship captains to guide them into the tobacco port of Herrington, on Herring Bay.

This is still an ongoing dig and they are requesting volunteers to help with this project, so if you are close by and interested, give them a ring, it sounds like some interesting items are awaiting discovery.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I read "Chew house" and could only think of maybe a place for buying illicit tobacco "chaws" and chewing it. You know, kind of like a "speakeasy) only with spittoons?

Oh dear. It was a spicier picture than "the home of Mr. Chew."

Unusual name, that. I wonder where it comes from (Chou? But that's "cabbage" in French) -- anyone here into genaeology?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Man this is the kind of stuff that makes me want to stick with archaeology as my major instead of switching to nanotechnology.

Maybe theyll find the bodies of all those missing colonists.

new topics

join