It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the UK and spying on peoples pub. transport usage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
i travel to london on a regular base (every 2 weeks )
i finally decided to get myself an oyster card to make my life easier with public transportation

happy about the gained transport payement ease, i decided to set my card to auto top-up (tops up the card credit automatically as soon as it drops below 5 £
i surf to the site
and decide to register my card .
Being a bit paranoid and already knowing about the gazillion cameras filming everything and everyone in the UK i decide to thouroughly read through the disclaimer and i see the following

i know that some of the ats members from the UK are mighty p***** off about their upcoming id cards, but don't you think this i s a bigger invasion in your private lives ?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
In a word NO

All that is saying is what is the general law anyway. If police want information from any organisation they can demand it with a court order so all this is doing is stating the obvious or making it clearer for all those that didnt know.
Why buy an Oyster card anyway? I never do I just buy my Rail and underground ticket combined and pay cash. Noone knows who you are that way.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
nobody knows who you are if you do not register your card anyway.
and that is the point , do you really think that tracking oyster card usage will prevent crime and acts of terror ?

only honest and "hard working" citizens (who save a lot of money by using that card on a daily basis) will be tracked, this whole tracking/police information story being someway public , people who want to remain sort of anonymous will do like you do and get their tickets from any ticketing machine , and they (and you) will be filmed anyway

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
paveing the way for a cash-less society?

the day we give up cash is the day we give up our freedom........dont be fool'd cash = freedom

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
They trialed a cashless system in Swindon a while back, using a Mondex card or something.. everything was paid for by this pre paycard so i hear.. a resounding flop i hear too lol ...

I use cash for everything even petrol and supermarkets cant stand credit cards or them debit cards and im not tracked too "bonus"

Regards
Git

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The Octopus card in Hong Kong is where the Oyster idea comes from. It is accepted by the eight 'arms' of public transpot in HK (super efficient) and is even accepted at 7/11 convienence stores as payment.

The system rocks though I can understand the source of paranoia.

The answer? Don't register for auto-top up then they do not know whose card it was that went from the LUL station by the AK47 and explosive shop to the LUL station outside the Houses of parliament but you still get the savings and ease of use that is important to all terrorists.

I would be more worried about my mobile phone if I was you, they can track you within a few metres plus have a good handle on your communications.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by completenuttergit
They trialed a cashless system in Swindon a while back, using a Mondex card or something.. everything was paid for by this pre paycard so i hear.. a resounding flop i hear too lol ...

I use cash for everything even petrol and supermarkets cant stand credit cards or them debit cards and im not tracked too "bonus"

Regards
Git

That's where they go wrong, with a small trial. Look at Belgium, a bank there (BankSys I believe unleashed the Proton card) didn't bother with any trials, they just said to the whole nation, "Right then, here's a new card, have at it. " It's now got over 9 million cards in circulation

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by EJHoover

I would be more worried about my mobile phone if I was you, they can track you within a few metres plus have a good handle on your communications.

Irrelevant realy. In my case I have PAYG so they dont know who I am at all. Yep they know where their SIM is when I turn my phone on but thats all.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
we have cashless systems here too, and the only thing it is used for is to pay your parking , bus and train can be payed for by sms (even parking), this will certainly trace that you have bought a bus ticket but as it isn't bound to any specific line i don't care (hardly use it anyway)

@EJHoover
in our wonderful little country it is quite common that the police eavesdrops on mobile phones, witnessed it a few times (they listen I listen)

as for spotting you via your mobile , yes but they can track the cell you are using which still gives you a few sq/km to go through
that only being allowed under exceptional circumstances ( but we all know how that goes)

about cameras : about two years ago our royals got death threats via phone.The police tracked down the cal to a public payphone in the central post office , they had cameras , they spotted the person on the recordings , guess what ? It was a cop .
Anyhow he admits to the calls and sent to justice and release him as they were no proper permit issued for these cameras and the public was not made aware of them.
Makes me gain back a bit of trust in the system on one hand but on the other, the guy walks free.

join