It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know why the MOD the US Military and China are trying to access my laptop?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It seems as though my computer is blocking lots and lots of IP's from University of California, Office of the President. I always delete every file on the p2p network programs and place the actual file on windows, so should I still be having a problem with people trying to connect with my computer over such files?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Well this is my point. I have nothing in bit torrent and this as been the case for at least 2 weeks.

Ape thinks it may just be because servers have not been updated. It could be I guess but two weeks for an update seems a long time.

Anyway whoever it is they are being blocked so nothing to worry about.

And anyway its not like I have the truth regarding Dulce is it??

Oops!

Regards

Paul

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Hope_for_reason]

KTK

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Redge777

whois on
61.233.88.42 This one is coming from Australia, unless that is just where the block is routed or something beyond me.
OrgName: Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
OrgID: APNIC
Address: PO Box 2131
City: Milton
StateProv: QLD
PostalCode: 4064

Ring them and ask

www.apnic.net...

[edit on 24-9-2007 by KTK]

[edit on 24-9-2007 by KTK]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I put peer guardian on the computers in our home. I was absolutely amazed at how many connections we were getting. At one point, over 7000 hits a second on our router, while running a torrent program.

We use a torrent client and soulseek on a few computers.

It took a few weeks to get the numbers down to a manageable size. Now, it's just a few dozen an evening while running stuff.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   

who is on
OrgName: RIPE Network Coordination Centre
OrgID: RIPE
Address: P.O. Box 10096
City: Amsterdam
StateProv:
PostalCode: 1001EB

ReferralServer: whois://whois.ripe.net:43

NetRange: 194.0.0.0 - 194.255.255.255
CIDR: 194.0.0.0/8
NetName: RIPE-CBLK2
NetHandle: NET-194-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType: Allocated to RIPE NCC
NameServer: NS-PRI.RIPE.NET
NameServer: NS3.NIC.FR
NameServer: SUNIC.SUNET.SE
NameServer: NS-EXT.ISC.ORG
NameServer: SEC1.APNIC.NET
NameServer: SEC3.APNIC.NET
NameServer: TINNIE.ARIN.NET

Yer I got Amsterdam from another source also. But then another 3 gave me Croatia. So I started playing with the class B address, All gave me Croatia..

Croatia is my flavour of the day.
Try another source, most will say Croatia

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
"Hope" there are a number of screen snapshot programs. A good, free multiuse program is Irfanview. Downlad and install. open it. Click on 'Options' at the top and then click capture/screenshot. Leave the program open and flip back to the desired screen. Use the assigned button to capture and save the screenshot.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
I put peer guardian on the computers in our home. I was absolutely amazed at how many connections we were getting. At one point, over 7000 hits a second on our router, while running a torrent program.

We use a torrent client and soulseek on a few computers.

Im guessing most hits were legitiment torrent searches, from numerous clients.

Dont be paranoid, especially if your using torrents, gaming networks, etc..

Im suspecting if you went over your 7000 with this program that the originator used, not only would they be coming from NASA, CIA, NSA, IANA, CSI, FBI, WBM, WB, PRNK, .. .. MOON..

Seriously, who cares.. Scan your pc, no keylogger, no worries..

I would be more worried about what Microsoft is installing on your PC without you knowing..

Takes off Propella hat.. Enjoy

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corbin Dalus
"Hope" there are a number of screen snapshot programs. A good, free multiuse program is Irfanview. Downlad and install. open it. Click on 'Options' at the top and then click capture/screenshot. Leave the program open and flip back to the desired screen. Use the assigned button to capture and save the screenshot.

Or press Alt+PrtScn

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Back when, we used to track down and report everyone who port scanned us with their ISP.

Now, I just look at the attempt logs. We have a pretty elaborate hardware firewall. A lot of new and upcoming script kiddies download port scanners and make these huge sequential sweeps - easy to see.

Interestingly, you see a lot of them in the Netherlands, one or two ISPs accounts for maybe half the juvenile probing I catch.

I only get interested about the ones that are trying to attack the firewall with malformed packets and the like. We get about one a week.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replys, you guys seem to have a good idea what your on about so I have to say my original concern as seomwhat declined.

I have managed to get a screen capture though just to proove it really was saying MOD. I havent had any attempts now for a few hours so hopefully its all over.

The whole thing as really opened my eyes up to how unsecure the internet really is. kind of worrying really, and like what smokeyjo said. What are the real big corperations like Microsoft up to and what can anyone really do about it??

Regards

Paul

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Well you know,

Every time I ever get on a peer 2 peer program file sharing, or get on a bittorrent network, or anything of that nature, my IP blocker starts lighting up with all kinds of weird IP addresses.

Different Governments from across the GLOBE.. Poland, places in Africa, I've had UAE, i've had China, i've had South Korea, Russia too.

and of course some American Military Bases would pop up occasionally.

I have an explanation, possibly. Since the IP blocker blocks all the government and military IPs, anyone connected to a p2p network or a bittorrent network from a govt or military network (even a wireless one) who tries to download from you will be unable to and then you'll receive a blocked msg on your IP blocker for that country or agency.

Sometimes they ARE looking through shared folders ..

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
it might even be just random ddos bots running from ip to ip i seen how some work its preety wild thay jump and it might be just jumbling everywere maybe

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hope_for_reason
Thanks for all the replys, you guys seem to have a good idea what your on about so I have to say my original concern as seomwhat declined.

I have managed to get a screen capture though just to proove it really was saying MOD. I havent had any attempts now for a few hours so hopefully its all over.

The whole thing as really opened my eyes up to how unsecure the internet really is. kind of worrying really, and like what smokeyjo said. What are the real big corperations like Microsoft up to and what can anyone really do about it??

Regards

Paul

Bleh, they're all the same IP addresses with different ports lol.

Anyway, what can one do about it?
Not use windows.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I use PG and its just blocking known anti P2P sites and governments.

If you use P2P, someone at a government place may have been trying to download off you. If you dont use P2P, he may have been trying to download off someone who used to have your IP address.

Its nothing special, Ive had all those hits too. The best one was the President of Lithuanias office trying to get something off me.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Flyer]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hope_for_reason

At the time you're seeing the MOD show on your block list, what sites are you looking at, or what programs do you have open?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

Well to be honest apart from P Guardian I only had the web running. To be honest I was looking at 2 sites this morning (both legal!) ATS and Google news.

Cheers

Paul

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Yeah but if someone was using bittorrent and then closed their connection. You log on with their ip and the people on the swarm try to connect to you to get the file.

Now its different if you have a static ip address.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
To say this lightly ... not being behind a hardware firewall and or something that preforms nat ... network address translation is like dangling your feet in a very unsafe pond... in the early days of rr.. meep meep we could sometimes see nodes in network neighborhood. So a good idea is to put yourself on a small local network that nat filters and blocks broadcasts that go hunting for open doors. Software will never do the job of a properly configured router.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyJo
Im guessing most hits were legitiment torrent searches, from numerous clients.

Dont be paranoid, especially if your using torrents, gaming networks, etc..

Enjoy

The gaming networks are killers. My youngest son (24 years) and friends set up a network in the basement and have at it. At these times, we can have 15 computers up and running. They kill the band width with their crap.

As far as legitimate hits, PG knocked out about 90% at that time. Many, many fine educational institutes trying to connect. I see more of them trying to connect with soulseek than torrents. (Just a side note for the kids in college, keep up the good grades!)

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I elected to stop reading the blocked attempts 2 years ago for my sanity.
Just ignore the back drilling snoops if you plan on having any fun online.

I've got stories that would curl you hair that date back to 1996 over the squirrel nest on my computers. Today I just laugh over the high costs I've averaged
to stay connected. I'm lucky to have one operational computer that last longer than 6 months.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join