It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

y2k and 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
was y2k a goverment warm up for 2012?

if you have any views on this please share

imo it could well be true

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

Please, clarify what you mean with y2k.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

they way y2k was played out to be the end of the world the way people all over the world panicked was it just a test to see how we will cope if 2012 is true?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I hope you're right about this because the y2k thing turned out to be a huge non-event. The amount of precautions taken here to avoid problems were over the top, ridiculously expensive and the amount of inconvenience we suffered was identical to nearby neighbouring countries who took no precautions whatsoever (and NOTHING happened in the end).

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Well, the hysteria over y2k was mainly about the risk of a global computer blackout due to the numbers 00 that would occur in all computerized operations, 00 meaning "repeat forever". This spread some concern around the world, but it was an error constructed by man, so man fixed it. As far as I know it was only some african country who had problems with it, the rest of us noticed nothing. Other types of frears were mainly religious ones, and with that I mean isolated sects and gatherings, nothing that in general worried anyone. The counting of our years is accually pretty superficial and has very little to do with the intergalactical cykles that accually matters.
With that said, the y2k hysteria was not anything else than a stupid hype. I never felt worried and no one around me either.

Regarding 2012...dude, that will be some treat! No proof what is really gonna happen, but something is in the doing alright. As you follow world events, both political, but more important those events that has nothing whatsoever to do with politics, you can see that the mayan predictions are lining up just the way they should.
But this awareness of the 2012 close-up has not reached a clear "official" level. Most people are totally blind to this upcoming event and I would suspect that any "world goverment" would like to keep it that way.
I might be wrong here, but where I am from this idea of the 2012 happening has never been in any public media of any greater significance. This might seem a bit alarming, but in my opinion it will not matter wehter we know about it or not, the cosmic plan can not be influenced by man, it will influence man on a plain that we are not able to "steer" in any direction.

So, even though I have not fully understood what kind of reply you are hoping for, my answer will be: no, I don't think so.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Y2K was a legitamite concern, it was so legitamite, that companies spent money running simulations and fixing code.

How many years is their between 2000 and 1998 2 right. Ok how many between 00 and 98 -98 or 0 if only positives and possibly with a ugly overflow error 4294967198 would be the result. Ugly compound interest if a bank missed that even once.

It was the reality of how bad it was going to be that got them to fix it to avoid it. It was not some hype thing.

On the other hand 2012 is a mythology/religon thing. I do not see comparison myself

think how fired up these boards will be going into Dec 2012. 'where will you be", "survival kits sold out" "alian in my back yard asking for calendar" ect ect. It will be way more discussed here, 2000 was a nerd earthy thing

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I mostly agree Redge, but as I recall certain religious groups were getting fired up about the millenium, too. New Agers and a segment of Christians, mostly. Some of those Christians being militia style groups in the States with a belief the end of the world was nearly here, unfortunately.

I can't help but think perhaps something like the Y2K business was a method of defusing panic. To be sure, there were legitimate concerns, but the problem could be dealt with. Media hype builds up the problem to the point its the main concern of people thinking about the Millenium, including among that possibly crazy faction who might try and help the end of the world along.

When it fails to pass, as expected, the public in general relaxes (because the fake threat has been removed), and the messianic groups, who likely expected to take advantage of the chaos, are screwed. They missed their chance and the world is not ending.

This is all hypothesizing on my part, I admit, but I think there may be elements of truth to it. I'm not sure if anything will happen in 2012 though. Its popular in certain circles, but is hardly mainstream to any of the major religious players (Christianity, Islam etc), so it would be very hard to tie this year into any similar threat.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaliayev

Good point I forgot about millennium groups and only thought of the computer issue. At the time people were worried, but all the news cast covered that every company was handling the problem.

I remember stories of trial runs and such, that being said, what makes a more sensational, stick in your head news story. Banking testing, or nuclear plant melt down do to -98 gallons water pumped into coolant tank...

Good post thanks.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777

think how fired up these boards will be going into Dec 2012. 'where will you be", "survival kits sold out" "alian in my back yard asking for calendar" ect ect. It will be way more discussed here, 2000 was a nerd earthy thing

I will be careful now, because I don't know if you are being ironic here or not, so I'll just start by asking; were you?

The fact is that this is such a common misconception regarding 2012. There will be no big "ka-boom there it happened!". If this is your approach you will notice nothing. It is the time when a looong string of events come to show, when the seed has finally bloomed out and brought fruit. One could almost say that the 2012 closing is happening right now and it has been happening all the time. That it would be some sort of sudden revelation is just absurd and those in such thoughts are so off the trail it's silly.
And if it turns out the way it leans towards, in dec.2012...I don't know if there will be any ATS or even internet, not even to speak about electricity, but that is only speculation. Still, if everything looks like it does today on that date, I wonder if anyone would bother posting anything on a forum. Hopefully, hopefully there will be a global "awakening" throughout all mankind making this kind of communication obsolete. That is only a hope though.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

I was mostly just thinking of the discussions, not agreeing with them. I don't put weight into 2012 really. But many love the topic. I keep thinking "nobody knows the time of the coming of the Lord" That being said, it might go to crap then just like it might in 2011, or 2013, or maybe 2012. I do find it a fun conversation.

I heard the date was set by Mayan calender for Dec 22, but I am not well versed on the subject. And I see your point that it would be a slow decline, however most world shake ups seem to happen overnight. It is like the coiling of a spring then wham, things are suddenly way out of control. I am thinking man made events, war and such, or even an asteroid, or nothing at all, in those cases net if still here would be going wild.

I do agree the world is spinning into the abyss. Some days I just wish something like "The Stand" would happen, then I think of all the deaths, throw it out, and get frustrated again.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I would like to think of it as sort of the last step in the evolution of man. The time when we will step away from the old patterns and into a new age, or a whole new reality. A unification and the entering of a new thinking, a higher state of mind. A time when the shackles will forever be thrown away and we will be able to cooperate globally without pissing each other off all the freaking time.

At the year 2012 I doubt that the "great catastrophy" will occur, it will probably come earlier than that, and starting this autumn and going through almost all next year the predictions tell of great disorder and violent turns of the old world as she twitches in her dying spasms. This seems very interesting due to the elections in both the US and in Russia, the old rivals; one of them in the decline and one on the rise. The polarity of east and west are very important in the change of paradigm that the whole deal is accually all about.

Or, maybe (because it is all up to speculation unless you are truely enlightened) the great destruction (IF there will be one) will be apperent after 2012 and the date will set the time when we have to make "the stand" world wide to face a threat that would take us all down.

I have so many theories on what is going to happen, but I can say that with the information I have on the Mayan predictions and the awareness of what is happening with Mother Earth at the moment, it will not be pretty and we will probably see a whole lot of devestation going on at some point.

But the main thing is really not to see 2012 as the end of the world, but as the beginning of a new one, or how this reality will refine itself into something much greater. 2012 is not a prediction of doom but one of rebirth. But, hey, if it would turn out to be some major, major, MAJOR kataklyzm or alike, it would be one hell of a show! My thought has always been that if you can't fight or change it, enjoy the ride and see where it takes you. If the asteroid is coming or Mt. St. Helens decides to erupt once again, just face it and do what you can to survive and check out the aftermath.

I love to discuss this stuff, if raises my spirits.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
i agree tht something spiritual is going to happen i did read about the calander tht we are going to get a massive boast up the evoulition ladder something along the lines of say a 1000s years of evoultion in a very short while "the quicking" ive heardit be called along with other things

here i why i think it is a very important and beliveble calander
www.13moon.com...
the League of Nations (forerunner of the United Nations) early in the 20th century, which considered three of 500 suggested entries. The 13 Moon - 28 Day Calendar was by far the most popular—98% of 1,300 businesses polled supported it. “The League proclaimed in 1930 that on Jan. 1, 1933 the world would have a new calendar,” says Arguelles. “But the Vatican opposed it and mustered the support needed to defeat it.”

i was reading tht basicly the Gregorioan calander puts our natural body clock out of sinc there was even talk of thts reason why people are not as spirituality aware as we are its as if we are ticking to a man made clock and not the same clock as nature/animals/the universe etc but as you can see the Vatican opposed why you opposse something tht is good for human kind .........opps silly question

none the less it is fascinating stuff and what a privlige to be alive at such times and more important to be aware of it

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
For our generations, and by that I mean us born during the 60's and up to today, it is hard to accually see how fast the world has been spinning for the last decades. We are all used to new groundbreaking discoveries in the technological, medical, military and energy sectors that we expect nothing else than some brand new awesome device, be it TV, drug, cellphone or whatever to entertain us in a new way, at least five times every day. Nothing is hi-tech, revolutionary or amazing enough for our decadent minds. If we get sick or injured we are relying that the hospital will have a treat and cure for all our problems, soon we have the cures for everything. One can even sew back a severed limb nowadays. We can look into the universe and see the accual birth of it all. This massive load of information avaible to the public makes us tired of everything, not understanding what a strange and lightning-fast age of discoveries we live in. It's almost to that degree that we won't even care.

This may have hundereds of explanations, but one stands out more and it has ties to the Mayan predictions: the number of people living on the planet. The more brains at work, the more discoveries and inventions come to life. And the spiritual twist to this is that the Mayans say that the evolution of man, the last step towards total awareness and unification of all consciousness can not happen until the correct number of souls are born. In that case, overpopulation is a nessecary evil towards this last step in the developement of man.

This step needs to happen because first of all, many of us have left all spirituality aside or cling desperatly on to our religions even though we feel that it makes not much sense anymore. We know that there are no thrones up in the sky, we are the masters of the universe, we create the world we live in and we control the ways things are. We no longer need some god to explain natural phenomenons, laws of physics, the cosmos and such. Despite this, the lacking of something greater, something other than the physical, is haunting us. We need something greater than ourselves. We need a revelation of some sort to ease our minds. We cry out for magic, we urge for something that is above and beyond our comprehension. Something different. This is what the 2012 is all about: a new way, a new age.

After the so called "atomic age", what age are we in? If you look back (in a european historical point of view) from the stoneage and forward you see that the "ages" gets shorter and shorter the closer to present time you get, but as you reach the "atomic age" the pattern shows that the next age has to happen soon. This age will hopefully be more than yet another age of war, greed, suffering and famine. This might be the true golden age.

I am just so damn happy to be alive right now. I watch the news every day to follow all major world events, I keep an open mind and look for specific happenings around the globe that might have some part in this showdown. I show my gratitude towards the archaic spirits that protect and guide me thorugh these turbulent times. I feel it happening, every single day. And the best of all things; evil seems to be losing this battle. Everything is in order. The light will come from the north and it will prevail.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
2012 was the end of the mayan calendar. or the end of that cycle. it is also said that the mayans may have seen this a the next step for human kind. the spanish wiped out any further knowledge than that.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
For our generations, and by that I mean us born during the 60's and up to today, it is hard to accually see how fast the world has been spinning for the last decades. We are all used to new groundbreaking discoveries in the technological, medical, military and energy sectors that we expect...

This may have hundereds of explanations, but one stands out more and it has ties to the Mayan predictions: the number of people living on the planet. The more brains at work, the more discoveries and inventions come to life.

Another thing to consider is communication. When discussing societal intelligence you can treat every person like a brain cell. And every person he interacts with, in person on the phone, or even just reading someones book as a dendrite connection. As long as you remember the information and can reattach to gain more it is a valid link.

So our added communication, storage of knowledge, and now Google, have exponentially increased the power of the planetary brain.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Yes, but we are still sort of toying with it, getting to know it, unaware of it's true meaning and power.

This forum is a perfect example for how it is supposed to be used, that is why I hand around here all the time. This tool of communication makes oppression hard. We are becoming more and more aware of what is accually happening in the world around us. That is why goverments try to restrict the internet, but they can not do it because such actions will be known through the spreading of the word through the net itself. It is such a beautiful metaphor for what is happening;
Not too long ago the emperors gave this gift of communication in good belief to the masses to improve communication. But now they wake up with the hang over of the century when they see what we want to say when we communicate. Now they see our discontent and disgust with the current power structures. Man, they screwed it all up! But they should not shed any tears over it because it was destined to happen.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
2012, that date pops up alot, last i heard it was the predicted day that aliens or (gods) where to visit the planet earth and also i read somewhere that 2012 was also a predicted date for a meteor impact that would wipe the planet of life. And now the new y2k date? i have got to admit tho since the year 2000 the worlds just gotten worse and its all being covered up im sure the govenment know something that they are telling us, but i didnt think that was like them.

seriously though i think 2012 is going to be an interesting year

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

There method of restriction is interesting, banning or cutting off information creates backlash, so I believe the current method is flooding the good information with bad, and making sure good information is less visible.

Search engine results are an example of how this can be done. Google 911 conspiracy. then look how many debunk sites vs good truther sites come up on the first page. If someone for the first time goggles the topic, the debunkers get the first say.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Well, that is only the beginning.
We also have the wikipedia-incident to think about, that one is even more disturbing.

I guess it takes a sharp mind to avoid such propaganda and disinfo and I must say that even though most people are still idiots, the sharp minds seem to pop up more frequent. They can flood the net, sure, but still: problem not solved. Apart from the cops, militaries and guns pointed at us, we are taking control, inch by inch. They can supress us all they want but our minds will stay focused on what is right and what is downright sick. They can't deny our anger.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Well I like to think it is 'they can not deny our love'. But hey I understand the frustration and your use of the word anger I am sure is the same. It is anger over the lack of empathy for people you care about.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join