It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling standards on ATS need improvement

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
In a simi-serious vein here, before the bloodletting becomes a slasher epic, the spelling is important. But, it's also up to the poster to decide how they want to be perceived.

Much like my friend The Borg, I love Firefox. But in the heat of the moment during a rapid exchange, I may post without rechecking. This often results in bad punctuation, reversing the placement of letters ("ie" and "ei" come to mind), failure to stop run on sentences that might confuse the reader because I'm in a stream of thought and just posting my ideas, and not overly worried about how the end result may effect the overall structure or a beauty of the composition as a whole. (:dn

Yes, it matters. But it is the exchange of ideas that are of the greatest import, and not they manner that these ideas are laid/lain/laying upon the pristine pages of ATS. I would rather have good thought provoking mental images than pretty words all in a row.

Edit (twice) to fix the "thumbs down" icon and add another ")" at the end of the "thumb"and remove the smiley. Somehow I couldn't do that, so blame it on software.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by NGC2736]

[edit on 30-11-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736

Originally posted by blahdiblah

We're not crying, this is a joyous celebration of the riotous confusion of a polyglot assembly of tongues. A symphony macabre to some, and a gala fandango to others.
And with that I will waltz along with amusement at watching both sides.

Ah - the blessed rule of the lowest common denominator... : )
The sweet dream of those who'd like to see others be dragged down to their pitiful level of, ehm, culture.

Dream on.

In fact, they'll end up dancing the fandango on their days off as illiterate serfs.

Language is not all about spelling; but spelling is all about language - about one's attitude to language. And THAT is what matters.
(More on that in some other post. Or not.)

And by the way... you may think you're not on either side.
In reality, fence sitters are the ones who end up being stomped into mud by either "side" - or by both.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

No. Spelling and grammar do not somehow sympathetically alter the the physical world.

Actually, they do.
Not spelling (more on that later), but certainly grammar.

Language - especially the syntax - is a direct, literally living expression of one's conceptual world - both of individuals and of entire nations.
And the conceptual world is eminently plastic, susceptible to change, AND intimately correlated with the physical world.
Any change in syntax and grammar is a reliable indicator of "tectonic" changes taking place in the mind set of an individual or a community.
(After all, why do you think that language analysis is an ancillary method of assessing someone's mental health?)

In this context, spelling is important insofar it reveals not only an individual's level of acquired culture, but also his or her attitude to language.

Fuzzy use of words = fuzzy thinking.
(I could provide respectable references to bolster the last sentence - but name-dropping is beneath me. Sorry. ; ))

It would however cause the reader to question the intelligence, rationality, veracity, and perhaps sobriety, of the poster and thereby call into question the value of the content.

Indeed.
And why, do you think, that is so...? ; )

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

I think this falls under what a lot of ATS'ers are failing to realize, that we have an image to maintain. People fail to realize this and consequently aren't more vocal towards the removal of proofless threads and bad spelling.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
May I recommend that everyone switch to Firefox 2.0

It has a spell checker that you can right click and select the suggested spelling of words.

It's how I fool everyone into thinking that I can spell.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Vanitas wrote:

Fuzzy use of words = fuzzy thinking.

I agree completely with that and the notion that language can change the way we perceive "reality".

Sapir-Whorf? Korzybski? Wittgenstein? Pretty much all of analytic philosophy?

I just didn't think that it was time to get into all of that.

Oh well.....time to head off to the salt mines.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
try finnegan's wake.
that harm and eyes ewe tu take an under stand.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RiotComing
3) Isreal rather than Israel.....

Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Butt Off (ROFLMBO)
That's some funny stuff, coming from the OP that is complaining about spelling and still gets one of his own statements wrong.

- Just another piece of evidence proving we are all only Human and that computers are still trying to take over the world!

ISRAEL = Correct Spelling

[edit on 30/11/2007 by wyldwylly]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wyldwylly

Indeed, from Isra'El-"wrestles with God", Jacob's new name in the Old Testament.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Jim_Kraken]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Israel is real, is it?

As my granddaughter says, "Lighten up!". Enjoy all the things you can get from the buffet.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I must admit to either skipping completely past posts that are really bad gramatically or with lots of mispelled words. Just a little personal obsession.
I will take posts that OP's have spent time on to get it right more seriously, if they have invested time on their posts then i will invest my time in reading and responding. Only fair i reckon'.

Slightly off topic... i find it funny.
A poster who claims to be divine, son of...., an angel, an alien..... whatever, there are plenty of these threads around, common denominator, they are all terrible spellers.
You'd think these guys with powers and or higher/divine direction would at least be able to spell if they want us mere mortals to take them seriously.

Having said all that i had to read through this 3 times to make sure there aren't any errors and i still may have missed one or two, sometimes that happens!

Peece too yuse guis, mojo.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I know bad spelling or grammar can be irritating, but the fact is a lot of people DO struggle with it, and I would hate to see their views surpressed because of it. It's something we just have to put up with.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My personal opinion

Oh no the bad speeelers r oot 2 get u.

I really could care less about spelling myself.

I can read peoples posts whether they spell their words incorrectly or whatever.

If people don't want to read a post because of bad spelling so be it.

Thats my opinion and don't expect anyone to agree.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
Slightly off topic... i find it funny.
A poster who claims to be divine, son of...., an angel, an alien..... whatever, there are plenty of these threads around, common denominator, they are all terrible spellers.

i remember having a thought that babies know everything when they are born, and as they grow and we "teach" them, it makes their former divine knowledge inaccessible.
in other words, language is a TRAP that prevents us from thinking clearly.

so, perhaps, extrapolating this theory into this topic, the bad spellers are MORE LIKELY to be angels, or aliens, or whatever else 'beyond our ken'.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by billybob]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
While reading through this thread, the name Don Tolman came to mind... Here's a quote from his book -- the "FDR" (Farmacist Desk Reference). Page 11.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdaneig. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I alwyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

Of course, it doesn't exactly relate to everything we're speaking of here -- but thought it'd be funny to share.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RiotComing

well i'm very sorry my misspeling would offend you on a site like this but i have to go to my 17 year old daughter to spell easy words i did not do very well in school but as i have grown older and the advancements of the computer and mouse i have been a little more enlightened , but how i spell or write should not offend anyone im not here to impress you with anything im here to learn from the people here now if you would like to hold a spelling 101 class i would gladly attend , but untill then i love this site and i will continue to post as long as im coutious and mindfull of other members fealings.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
As I see it we are not in English class. Many people come to ATS from all over this planet and I think they do a great job of getting out there thoughts.

For myself..... I am getting tired of people picking apart every word one writes or speaks. When spelling mistakes are made so what, we aren't being graded.

Tehre han'st been a trhaed hree at ATS yet taht was so baldy wirtetn taht I hvna't been albe to raed it.

edit: for spelling

[edit on 30-11-2007 by observe50]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Reply to everyone that doesnt think that spelling is important, that it is the message that counts.

Sure, it is the message that counts, and you do have to cut some slack for those from non-english speaking country's (this is an english/US site), but you have a computer that will do the work for you.
Hello, spell check anyone!!
Its not difficult.
What you dont have time to use spell check, it takes 10 seconds, if your message is that unimportant to use something as simple as spell check then why bother.

(edit for non spelling related issue,
)

[edit on 30/11/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wyldwylly

What do you mean? Israel IS the correct spelling - you're trying to twist my opening statement to make me look the dummy, and I resent that. If you had bothered to read the thread, you'll see a screenshot I provided where someone here on ATS incorrectly mispelled it as IsREAL, which is certainly not the correct spelling. And it's not like just a typo, it's like they sincerely believe it is spelt IsREAL when we know it's not - and it happens often around here.

Not that I really care. Honestly, it doesn't bother me a heck of a lot, but posts like yours do dismay me just a tad. Comprehension is just as important as spelling, and you my friend, seriously need to resit your SATs.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't really mind if someone incorrectly spells something. I understand that some may actually have a difficulty with spelling.

What does annoy me is when people don't use paragraphs, periods or commas. It really is not hard at all to include them and it makes reading so much easier. I really don't think there is an excuse not to use them.

==

if we all typed like this when we wanted people to take us seriously i really don't think anyone would and you would just end up looking like a 6 year old in grade school also the meaning of your sentences can really get messed up someone might perceive your words to mean something completely different and we don't want that now do we in a place like this where i like to think that i can at least take some people seriously

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join