Spelling standards on ATS need improvement

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
LDragonFire, here's a more fleshed-out response, for what it's worth. Please take it with good grace.

Originally posted by LDragonFire
What would you like to see?

I would like to see you cool your boots for starters.

Banning people who don't use proper grammar and spelling?

Absolutely not. I made this thread to point out the absurdity of perfectly good Western education systems that spit out poor exponents of proper English usage. I notice you're from the USA. (Oh dear, not another one... *groans* LOL) - (please note - sarcasm guys!)

Maybe limit membership to English speaking people only?

Haha, like I've said like a broken record on this thread, it's the NON-English speaking people who have a better command of English than some of YOU fellas who come from 'perfectly good' education systems - courtesy of our philanthropist friends in the Rockefeller family!

Who should set the standard?

Step up to the plate by all means, my friend. It's up to yourself to take your own personal responsibility. Consider this thread a friendly reminder that you are an English speaker after all. Act like it! I personally don't care. I actually laugh each time I see 'your wrong' written on the internet, it just looks like a Halo geek with his insecurities crumbling around him as he tries to 'pwn' his chosen opponents into the proverbial turf.

I feel like your attacking and Harassing people who don't spell or use grammar as well as others. Thats sad IMHO

No, I'm not attacking anything; it's just an observation I'm making and you are free to type how you like here. I don't care! The only thing I'm 'attacking' is the impression one gives when they use such poor English. It indicates they are young, brash, anti-establishment - actually those traits are not necessarily bad. The last thing that comes to mind for me is that they are a foreigner. I'm just wondering if others here feel sorta the same way, that's all. I think language should be celebrated in all its forms. Most of ATS have stunningly high standards anyway.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well thanks for those of you showing support after my post, but people I was just been sarcastic, actually my spelling is the last of my worries, remember English is not my first language.

But I am doing a heck of a job with my writing.

You know it is bad when in my native language I was an impeccable writer. But this is life, I never imagined that I would end up living in the main land.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
But I am doing a heck of a job with my writing.

Don't worry Marg, I always know where you're coming from regardless.

Even the best spellers make basic mistakes. I know as far as I'm concerned, when I type it's kind of a stream of conciousness type thing and I end up with a few elementary spelling errors.

As long as it's not text-speak I can usually figure out what someone is trying to spell. Also, not singling anybody out here, pointing out sombody's spelling errors on a public forum is just wack...........or is it "whack"?

Peace

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I dnot tinkh it mttaers as yuor brnai can stlil dceipehr wdors nto seplt corerclty. Egnlihs is nto hte fstir lnaugaegu fo lla mbemesr hree.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RiotComing
It says they are one step away from pwning you so look out!

Yes, we all make mistakes. There is a spelling or grammar error in every post on this thread, including all of yours. Different people, have different skills. Most of us who type poorly are well aware. I doubt that your typing skill will change God's or an alien's acceptance of you. Perhaps your intolerance will actually be a mark against you.

Many of us are typing on laptop which have small and sticky keys. On top of that, the text on a laptop tends to be a bit smaller, which in turn makes it easy to make mistakes and harder to correct them. I always spend more time correcting my posts than typing them. Even then some mistakes get made. Sorry but some times the fingers just don't keep up with the brain.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well I must concur, we really should take time to use our spell check. Why the @*%$ do we go to school?

Oh, now that we are on a good rant, why don't we clean up another subject...

Make it mandatory that every member acknowledge their TRUE LOCATION!!! I have found more UK members actually have the polite respect of letting everyone know where they hail from. There are a few Aussies & Kiwis. Thank all of you, our cousins 'or the water!
But us poor brain dead Americans... oh, sorry 'bout that, I meant to say...us poor paranoid Yanks... like we are hiding our chocolate cookies from our neighbors. Right.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DREAMING MAN

Some of us are not totally ready to admit our location. I live in a place where the question is often asked-" If you get a divorce, is she still your cousin?"

Do you think I want to own up to that?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Dear Disgusted, congratulations on coming up with a new defense of careless spellers:

The "god'll getcha for that, Arthur" mark against you in the big black book in Heaven for mentioning it.

On the 'there's a mistake in every post', nobody is asking that your posts are error free, only that a modest effort is made. Check your facts, check for the most obvious homophone mistakes, use the Firefox built-in checker.

Obscure grammar errors, or typos like transposed letters are not the issue.

If I bring my 'A' game to each post, why not everyone else? To do less is not to 'deny ignorance', but to promote it.

I still get a kick out of the English teacher undoing the work of hundreds of thousands of dedicated teachers everywhere by suggesting spelling and grammar are not important.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by DREAMING MAN

Some of us are not totally ready to admit our location.

Some of us are perfectly willing to shout our nationality from the rooftops, but that doesn't necessarily equal my location. Sometimes there are good reasons for not saying where you are at a given time...

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
I still get a kick out of the English teacher undoing the work of hundreds of thousands of dedicated teachers everywhere by suggesting spelling and grammar are not important.

Which moron said that? Unclear of the job description? :shk:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
When someone interchanges your, you're, there, their, they're, too, to , two thats not a typo, thats a gap in knowledge. Its very hard to take anyone seriously if they cannot communicate effectively on a very basic level.
Aside from what has already been mentioned, there is this :- "I could care less". This implies that you do care and could care less. This, in my experience, always comes from Americans. I have wanted to say this for so long so please listen ! Its :- "I couldN'T care less". As in, I care so little now that I couldN'T care less ! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh! Even John Lear uses "I could care less". What the hell is going on ? Where do these people hear these things? Do they think about it before they say/type it? Do they realise it makes no sense ?

[edit on 26-9-2007 by RedEyes]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
I doubt that your typing skill will change God's or an alien's acceptance of you. Perhaps your intolerance will actually be a mark against you.

I think if there are any omnipotent beings out there watching over me, I'm sure they'd have a sense of humour! A sense of empathy. They're probably agreeing with me "yeah Riot.. you stick it to those dumbos who slept through their schooling LOL"
(Please note I am not being serious there)

I am glad to read some responses who finally get the gist of my point. It's simply an observation. I should have titled the thread something like "your no good at spelling" just to ensure that I'm not referring to typos or international variations - instead I'm hoping to draw attention to the common ones I see here - 'your', 'their / there', and the misuse of plural's and thing's like that..
If it's simply a stream of consciousness thing and writing down whatever you feel, that's cool, but sometimes you can't help but think it's more than that - like they don't actually realise that the word isn't meant to be used that way. I'm just amazed how common these mistakes are; not only here, but on the internet in general. I just thought it might be good for ATS to bring it to the board's attention and if it can spur one person into thinking about these certain words, then wow that's cool. Just trying to shape things for the better, that's all.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by RiotComing]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
ROR , you be no good at sperring so so tooif you know the great high howileness dalimamma, she no good sperrer, she go tru rife unsurlting many many peoprls evely time, no probrem,her phyrosophy of rife velrly velrly interestig,

I shall stalt wink.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
O dam sum1 beet me 2 thee bad speling pun. I ate that whn that happns.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I didn't do so good, not surprising,

Does Your English Cut the Mustard?
www.blogthings.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Wat?? Hu R U to impose yor standards on me? I hav freedom of speech dont I? How typiical of YOR type to try and further divide us!

I'm just kidding.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I am some what pressed for time so I didn't get to read the entire thread. That being said, I met this egyptian fellow in my freshman english class, who probably have better english than most the american kids. I noticed that with many foreigners well versed in the english language. My friend Kelvin came to the U.S. in 8th grade I believe and by his sophmore year in highschool he was able to speak and write in english pretty well. I think a good deal of it has to do with mindset and importance.

These people see an importance in proper grammar where a good deal of americans don't. I think proper grammar is very important and I also feel the internet gave a very damaging blow to that. Slang went from spoken to written (is written proper grammar?). People started using slang on the internet and it became the general form of writing because that is what they used the most. I think the internet was more damaging to writing than positive.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Slang went from spoken to written (is written proper grammar?).

It sounds better than "wrote" in that context.

Think about how much damage this text speak is doing. Why should anybody have to learn proper spelling and grammar when it's acceptable to leave out so much composition in their daily lives?

Again, it's the dumbing down of America.

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I don't interact in many forums but have to say, there is way to many questionable spellers on ATS. Here's my secret. I type with my head down low, when done, read it over, and lastly run my spell checker over it.

I still mangle a word or two but try to correct it with an edit and a point of what I edited.

If I read down a thread and people fill it up with miss spelled words and continue to follow that carelessness, I click off the thread and move on to the next interest.

So yu se what I meen how frasterating it is.

PS: I use ieSpell if any one is interested. You can edit your spelling from a button on the browser. wonderful invention, I must say.

Regards,

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
My Opinion

Really people common!!! why are so many people a stickler for speeeeling LOL.

just because you dont like they way someone spells something or they use bad

grammar does not mean you have to be so high and mighty about it.

If you dislike bad spelling and the rest of that jazz then maybe dont respond to

people with bad spelling and grammar you think?

Nobody talks to me yet I still post all the time.

anyway thats my opinion.

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join