It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling standards on ATS need improvement

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Although I do often make typo's and spelling mistakes I am pretty good with my spelling and grammar as a rule. However some people aren't and some people don't have English as their first language so I dont think it is very fair to say that. As long as people can understand what others are putting I don't think it is an important issue.

The only exception is using txt language. Tht cn b quite annoying!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Well, this is the monthly thread on this one.

You have to realize that ATS has many many people here whose first language is not ENGLISH.

That being said, i despise it when people insist that NOONE cares.

Just separate NO ONE see?

Its no one and noone means nothing!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Inneresting topic, deserves to be addressed. Just remember, don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

'Your' and 'you're' are two different meanings. Apostrophes cannot be left out, if you want your message to get through. "Your wrong" and "you're wrong" doesn't mean the same.

I agree that spelling should be taken serious. I'm far from perfect, but with my four years of training in English, it is interesting to study spelling of Americans. None in my country would have passed Elementary with some of what you see here.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Its no one and noone means nothing!

What? You've never heard of Peter?!

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
If it wasn't for the internet, I believe the art of proper writing would be in worse shape.

People from many countries which have a different 1st language are on this website trying valiantly to type sensible posts in English while English speaking members try to remember the correct way to write as well.

This is all good.

There is plenty of room for improvement, though. I find myself thumbing through a dictionary quite often looking for correct spelling and I have a Harbrace College Handbook ready in case I need to check my punctuation.

But, then again, it's just me being anal.

I personally dislike the 'there, they're, their' mess.

At least people are trying. That's the best part.

[edit on 24/9/07 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Yes, I get the feeling that when people on the internet type "your wrong", it's like they are subscribing to a kind of gutter punk speak where their intention is to display a kind of l33t brashness. It is often used to try and gain the upper hand in an argument. It says "they're the boss".. don't mess with this person or you could lose an eye. It says they are one step away from pwning you so look out!

You have to realize that ATS has many many people here whose first language is not ENGLISH.

I feel it's the foreigners here that seem to have a superior command of the English language.
Whereas the people who are saying "your wrong" and "there nukes dont exit" usually hail from San Diego or Arkansas! Baseball cap on backwards, middle finger to the pc screen, could this be a product of the Rockefellers' grip on the American education system as it seeps through the Western world? Grinding us down to a populous of disillusioned sleepy sheepy souls.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Never fear, this be the solution:

For Internet Explorer, use the Google Toolbar

For FireFox, the latest versions have built-in dictionary support. Click on the "Getting Started" button in the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder. If that don't work, the Google Toolbar works with FF as well.

As for grammar... well ye got's ta figure that yerself.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
So is the problem greater with the Queens English or American English or one of the many transulated versions.

mikell

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

From what I could gather it seems to be a little pet peeve about the confusion between "your" and "you're", "could of" (which makes no sense) instead of "could've", etc..

I used to get annoyed by that too, but now I just try to get to the meat of the argument instead of getting stuck on the little details. I figured, "whatever, at least let me make sure that my spelling and my grammar be as proper as possible". You know, inspire by example kind of thing.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
My contributions to the world are better served spending all my time on thinking and expressing my ideas. To devote more time then a quick once over would deprive the world. I am a muser not an editor.

Ok all joking aside, my spelling is atrotious. I litterly black out on very easy words, and do not have a conviant spell checker. I have to write article on email, then go and fix all the end of lines to spell check.

If anyone wants to send me a spell checker I would be really gratefull. I miss are/our there/their also, I try to catch them but I just do quick once over. If its readable I pass the hardship to the reader. Not fair I agree.

Thank you all for not comming down on my spelling, many times I am really surprised when I do spell check and see 20 to 30 mistakes.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
spelling

the errors could be ~20% typos
the errors may be ~60% language deficiency
the other ~20% may be caused by 'spells' from disgruntled curse casters

any one direct us to spelling spells & how to undo them?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
While a post with almost every word mis-spelled or mis-used can make it hard to follow the argument (or for that matter take it serious), I don't take it as so important as to start a thread on it. To each his own.

I will point out that ATS has a tendency - after about 2 months here - to cause what I call "homonymal dysfunction". So, since I've been plagued with this ATS-induced malady since 2004, I tend to give everybody mulligans when they show symptoms.

After awl, weir inn this together and if we can't give each other sum small lee weigh of imperfection, we won't be able two expect the same inn return. We have too treat each other as we wont two bee treated.

Thats my too sense worth.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I am so happy those that choose to curse me go after my spelling, it could be much worse

Mine is like a hole in my brain, I go to get the spelling for a word and there is nothing in the file, even when I struggle to sound it out I don't have a clue, then a couple hours later it is there and I figure it out.

I just read post below, I have to admit I am lazy about spelling.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The one that gets me the most is this one.

Rediculous.

Its actually spelt ridiculous.

I used to frequent a forum where ask continually got bastardised into "aks" (rap culture at work there)

Don't get me started on ebonics or leet. People that use it just want to murder the language because they are too lazy to communicate properly.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I feel I got bashed on a thread I started a while back, because of spelling errors and I guess fragmented sentences. The Evils of Christain Conservitives, and How Can it be Stopped page 2. Yes I butchered the grammar and spelling, but I was just trying to participate. It was a while till I started posting again, it really sucked being made out like I was stupid, and I feel it drives some people way from this type of board.

I now use Firefox and it has a built in spell checker. I'm sure I still get words wrong mainly because I don't know when to use there or their, or could have or could've or what ever. I just want to participate, even though my grammar is not my strong point.

I used spell checker about 9 times just writing this.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It would be nice to see someone encode a spell checker into the site.Then there is no excuse. I would use it obviosly.
DWT

[edit on 24-9-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Someone just sent me link to Google spellchecker, it's free I am so happy. OP I will be off your list of bad spellers, great thread it really helped me

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiotComing
3) Isreal rather than Israel (this one isn't as common as it used to be, but still crops up occasionally)

i used to struggle with the spelling of Israel for a while, until I saw Jordan Maxwell's speech where he breaks it down into Isis+Ra+El = IsRaEl.

See! Still haven't forgot... although I could of

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
To each his own.

That sums it up for me.

I hold myself to a tight standard when it comes to spelling and grammar. But only because I'm a little neurotic like that. If I make a mistake, it is not much of an issue. But if I notice one, I feel obligated to correct it.

When I notice others making mistakes, it really is of no concern to me. I have a standard that I hold myself to, and I hope others do the same. If others have a lower standard, so be it.

If the content is legible, then that is what interests me.

If I were to sign up for a French, Spanish, etc., speaking board, I would hope that others wouldn't judge me on my poor grammar and spelling. Hopefully we can offer the same courtesy to a few of our other bi-lingual members, who do not have English as their primary.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiotComing

I'm going to be blunt here, but I feel the members making the blunders in question tend to be overwhelmingly American!!!!

Ok, I've said it... (shrugs shoulders and slinks away slowly...)

Ah, now we see the purpose of the thread.

While spelling and grammar errors make replies less credible, it's something that I personally overlook. Some people don't have the time to go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

But, when it comes to the opening post of a thread, if it's a butchered mess I don't continue with it. If you can take the time to formulate a new idea for an ATS discussion, you can take the time to copy it to Word and check for errors.

OP's should be held to a higher standard than replies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join