It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling standards on ATS need improvement

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Bud chill and enjoy there world
With all its diversity, I am dyslexic and sometimes spell things wrong. I dont really care, language is there to convey meaning. As long as that meaning is conveyed then it has worked.
Language also changes, because people use it. If you want to punctate your work fair enough, but to request there people to do the same is pedantic to say the least. Look out here come the word police!
You are talking about our communication, something peeps use everyday, We are not museum pieces, relics of a past age, Language changes, we change, get over it.

enuf ty & cu l8r i gtg bb

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I fr 1 thnk w shld lve t th vwls as mch as pssble, vwls mss vrythng up, mks it to cmplcatd,

strt cmmnctng crrctly.

you forgot the A in as....

And an I and an O and another A.... sloppy work...

Naughty naughty.... and it's your idea too

[edit on 8/1/09 by blupblup]

I knw I knw ts cmplctd,

S wht d y sggst 4 s?

[edit on 023131p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Dyslexics are special people I am RH negative, do you see and communicate better with pictures then letters,like heiroglyphs?
You are most likely of Atlantean bloodline.

Atlanteans were alien bloodline.

[edit on 023131p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

intrepid, forgive, please this potential one-line post....but, you mis-spelled a word in YOUR post!!

I got your point about the variations between 'American' spellings and 'British' spellings....

Actually, the Americans are on the losing end of this debate, since, due to the influence of the British Empire (past) even in Indian 'English' spelling we still see the British influence.

The Americans are just trying to rebel, best they can...OH!! And, just read the United States Constitution (the original) or, better yet, the 'Declaration of Independence' to see that the 'Founders' of the United States were, really, break-away colonists....after all. I would surmise that George Washington had a 'British' accent....yet, NO ONE ever comments on this possibility!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

You really need to stop using all those punctuation and exclamation marks, man. Your posts always looks like a mess. I hardly ever have the patience to read them. Just saying.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
intrepid, forgive, please this potential one-line post....but, you mis-spelled a word in YOUR post!!

"tollerance"? I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

BTW, it's "misspelled".

See how silly this is?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
well if your in a debate or you are trying to proove a point all you can do is correct anothers spelling mistakes then you probably do not have anythinginteresting to say. A rule of thumb is that if you find your self on a board that has topics like UFOs, Reptilians and everyone and everthing is a masonic symbol then the poeple reading probably do not have spelling on their minds. for example " I just time travled from 1969 i came to warn you about John Booth (shape shifing reptilian) will kill lincon. He will easy to spot he stole my wrist watch that i kepted in my mind and the ipod i bought off Thomas Jefferson" see nobody will focus on the spelling here but they will point out the problems with the facts.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wheir is the spell checker and gamar checker. Plus that thing about 6 or 7 grade edgmcation I was asleep from forth grade until when they woke me up and handed my my diploma.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sebarud

reply to sebarud....ummm....that's sort of the point...or, should I say, 'kinda-sorta'....

to Intrepid....yup! I caught on to the the double 'lls' (not sure how to punctuate THAT!!!)

OK, B&B business, it's fun to speculate (BTW, "it's" is a contraction, meaning two words are put together, defined by the apostrophe. In this case, the words are 'it' and 'is'....)

Sorry, sebarud, sometimes punctuation is necessary!!! (!!!!!) Unless, you wish to see the English language languish into obscurity....oh, well....languages do evolve, after all....just look at how the French are/have been trying to insulate their language from 'American' influences....

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Another thing since I'm hear I went to have test to see if I hadenough brains for subject I want to gain more schoolin. I score high enough that they had me take another test. When went to see the person that was my handler, said they had lost my test but only needed thurd grade edjmication to be truckdriver any how.
I has test poir to this to dis any they said my IQ was above 133 and the only thing if might have aproblem with was brain surgey, first chance I get I want to prove them wrong.
And the OP maybe be good at speeling, but what about the important things like the mental minupolation of beatiful women, I mean things that really count.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I also incorrectly used there instead of their... but hey... I'm a hypocrite!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

yah i her dat. we needs some iq boostin dishunaries: That will teech us they spellin skills?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I like to let others take the guess!

Actually that was a typo because my keyboard sometimes will double letters, probably dirty contact under the "o" key..among others!

Just havent taken the time to go get a new keyboard yet..I will get around to it sometime.

I do not mind reading through short text posts..but those could be mis-interpreted so easily.

In a heated debate or discussion, no one is going to take time to cut and paste over to some word processing program and cut/paste again to make a reply, by the time you go through all that, the hot topic thread has advanced 2 pages and the point is lost.

I am all for proper grammar and spelling in a post. Does not matter to me either way. Just my opinion. I can read through the fumbles just as good as reading through the proper typed, politically correct stuff, straight and narrow posts. After spending over 12 years on forums and chat rooms, you learn to pick up on the diversity of typing habbits.

I hope that this doesnt force the owners to have to change the names in ATS and BTS from Above Top Secret and Below Top Secret to "Above Typing Skills" and "Below Typing Skills".

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 8-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Yes you have the correct awnser to this problem, if if the person with the concern, is not able to interpet what me dumbies are writing their the ones with problem.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I do not understand please repost your comment with proper spelding.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Even Bigfoot should be able to speak his mind in here. As long as it's within the T&C

I can't believe I said that...
Old thread revisited...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

And it's so true... i read through that no probs!

By about the fifth word i realised...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

googolplex....I know you're a lame-suck (oops, I meant to write "lame-duck"....Freudian slip, oopsy again!!!) soon-to-be Ex-President, so just try not to embarass yourself any more than you've already done, and slink away quietly....

I realize the problem....'Is our children learning?'...which, really, saYs it all for the last almost eight years of idiocy....

(the capital 'Y' was on purpose...)

BECAUSE, this is THE point of this B&B thread, isn't it?? I made a pathetic joke about our out-going lame-duck Prez, who guaranteed that 'No Child Would Be Left Behind' and succeeded in ruining intellectual standards for decades to come, unless and until someone can come along and fix that sorry mess.

No small coincidence that the USA is far behind, in Modern World Academic standards. Not that GWB is to blame for this --- far from it. It's just that his 'solution' fell very, very far from the mark. BUT, it was 'hyped', nonetheless....sad, OH so sad.....

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Good post Riot. And from flippin' Kiwi too!

Spelling and grammar on the internet drives me nuts too. It's all about being concise.

I worked in the military for a while, and they were absolute sticklers for correct use of English is ALL communications. There is a very good reason for this; so there is reduced chance of misinterpretation. There's the old joke about the message being sent from the trenches:

"...send reinforcements; we're going to advance."

Which reaches HQ as:

"...send three and fourpence; we're going to a dance."

In summary; if we all take care with what we are saying in the first instance, there will be less chance for misinterpretation and reiteration.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join