It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd sounds in North Eastern Pennsylvania

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
isn't there all sorts of delapidated mines all over the Wikes-Barre area,,,

i'd be nice if posters would attach a Map-Quest or Google map
for us readers to get a more informed visualization of the story,
and a more solid orientation of the incident.

going further with the 'mines'... it could be that there are ubderground stresses that could be causing the tunnels & mines to vent into the surface,
causing the hissing sounds that seemed all around you.

keep attentive to news stories, maybe mine collapses, or mines getting flooded, et cetera.
you could have been witness to an 'early warning sign' or precurser event
...and might just warn/alert mine safety officials of what you heard & where you heard it,

thanks,

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefighter119

Sounds like a mountian cat to me. They can be really creepy sounding.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wig

Thanks for those elephant sounds, Wig!

The first one's the best.

That would make for a good scary monster sound, any time of the year...

Sidenote to Firefighter119: Next time you go for water, don't forget the elephant gun, either!

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I completely forgot about the NEPA Elephant!

Some of them would wander into our county on occasion looking for water.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The fact that the sound was coming from everywhere, and the other poster who mentioned guys that had a similar experience, and then had missing time makes me wonder if you were having an experience with Extraterrestrials.

Although you most likely would have seen some flashing lights as well if that was the case.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Since no one has stated the obvious cryptozoological response yet, I will. There is certainly a history of bigfoot sightings in your area:
2004 in Tresckow
2003 in Dickson City
1999 in Weatherly
1981 in East Stroudsburg
1984 in Harveysville
1976 in Sucson
The most recent sighting, in Tresckow, involved a track and a high-pitched scream on Crystal Mountain.

As a mildly entertaining aside, I was once at a party where I met a girl who had grown up Piney, and we went and grabbed another of our friends from rural southern New Jersey, who she had never met, and on the count of three asked them to make the Jersey Devil call...it was pretty much just a long, high-pitched "eeee-eeee-eeee!"
We were all pretty surprised that they came up with the same thing. Either it's real, or urban legends are a pretty strong cultural force.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
I grew up hunting in NWPA and have heard many "strange" sounds in the dead of night in the deep woods. One of my friends who after being thrown out of the house at the age of 14 literally grew up living in the wilderness would often identify those noises.

More often than not it was a fox. As he said and I eventually learned, foxes can make some of the strangest sounds you could ever imagine. Sounds that make the hairs on your neck stand up from human screams to injured animal calls. They are masters of mimicry. I'll never forget my first encounter as we walked up an old lease road in pitch darkness stalking a wild dog pack that had chased my friend the evening before. Suddenly to my right I hear what sounds exactly like an infant crying. I almost peed my pants until my friend said, "just a fox"!

You're not kidding. A friend of mine in Florida has lived there forever, and is usually out at night making rounds as his job requires. He told me about this weird coughing noise he would hear some nights, and he swore it was a person, but he saw no one around. He had no idea what it was, until one night he caught a glimpse of one of the Resident foxes. He knew about the foxes, but what he didn't know is what happened next. The Fox opened his mouth extremely wide, and began to let out a "bark", but in all reality it sounded like a coughing noise. I did some research on it and found that Wolves can do a very similar thing as well. It is a way of communicating without giving up their true position (quitest form of communication). I assume that Coyotes must have the ability to behave in a similar fashion as well.

As for a warbling noise in PA, did you ever consider an animal that you know of, but might be making a nosie you never head it make before? How about a bird? I know birds can be startling at night as most of them are quiet this time of day, so when one sounds it can be extremely noisy.

I have heard nosies such as one that sounded like a Police Siren as it starts up (not the entire range though, just the first half of the siren cycle, like it was being cranked up), but then immediately stops. I did some thorough investigating and figured it to be a specific species of Owl, I believe it was the Screeching Owl. Really freaky, but amazing how everyday animals can produce some rather hair-raising noises.

BTW, something of interest for you. I just happened to find an Alpaca Breeder in Sidman, PA. Turns out, when Alpacas feel threatened for dominance by another Male, they make a screaming/Warbling noise.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
I have heard nosies such as one that sounded like a Police Siren as it starts up (not the entire range though, just the first half of the siren cycle, like it was being cranked up), but then immediately stops. I did some thorough investigating and figured it to be a specific species of Owl, I believe it was the Screeching Owl. Really freaky, but amazing how everyday animals can produce some rather hair-raising noises.

Right before I read this part of your post I was thinking "owl". Good observation as owls can make some sounds that will have you peeing in your pants even when you know they are there.

I also lived in South Florida for 16 years but never saw a fox. Of course I didn't really spend much time in the wild there. Funny thing though, I am now stuck in Chicagoland (no offense) and actually saw a fox early in the morning on my way to work. Really out of place where it was but it was headed in the direction of one of those strange wooded (park like) areas they have here.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'm just about out of water, so I'll have to head back up there soon, to see if I can spot the fox. Yeah I've heard owls, and alot of em. they are all over up here. I had NO idea about the bigfoot sightings though. Thats interesting, specially when something comes really close to home like that.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Firefighter,

Have you ever been over to the BFRO and read any of the reports? There are tons of them from all over PA.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

Bondo, your going to have to exscuse me ignorance here... but I am going to assume that it is the Big Foot Research Organization? Imma have to google it.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
OK, I did find that site, I named it something close, however I did not see anything for Luzerne county. I'll have to delve a lil deeper into it.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
If I heard something like THAT I would stick around long enough to find out what it was....

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefighter119
OK, I did find that site, I named it something close, however I did not see anything for Luzerne county. I'll have to delve a lil deeper into it.

Yea, looks as though there are none reported for your county. At least not there and it is probably the most popular reporting site. I do think there is one more site with the same type of deal going on but my memory fail me on it.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Some friends of mine were driving down 309 from Hazleton and claimed to spot a huge winged creature at night. By huge I mean, wingspan well wider than a car. They're used to seeing hawks, eagles, and buzzards. Sadly, I wasn't in the car for that one.

[edit on 15-10-2007 by TheGreySwordsman]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
2 things! The hill above the spring that they are developing was a minefire in the early eighties. And another would be that the house to the left of the spring. The guy that lived there killed himself about a year before you were there. He was kind of a prankster too. And another thing. Across the street from the spring about 2-300 yards is a cemetary.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Firefighter119

Hi,
Off and on over the years I have searched for someone else who heard this. My encounter with these things occurred in Haneyville, PA, in, you guessed it, 2007. I wrote a story for the Daily Discord.com about this encounter in 2010. www.dailydiscord.com...

I didn't use the word warble in my story, but that's the best way to describe it. I listened to the Jurassic park bit and it's close-ish. What I heard was more of a warble on top of a warble, louder, and more unworldly. About 60 of us were partying at this deer camp and a few of us heard this weirdness in the distance. The next night only 10 people stuck around and everyone who remained heard them the second night as they surrounded our camp. Most of us wouldn't even sleep in our tents, we slept in the cabin. No one could even describe what they were hearing, many were locals. It sounded somewhat avian, but the sounds did not seem to be coming from the trees. Glad someone else heard this strangeness. I lived only 16 or so miles away at the time, in Woolrich, so I went back out to try to record these sounds the next night, but no such luck.

Glad someone else out there experienced this!

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MickZano

I would like to add I listened to a lot of owl sounds and, although that was our conclusion as well, I have searched owl sounds and none of them sound anything like this.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Courtdale is essentially urban, not likely to have any large game, although they chased a bear around last summer.

I'm NW of there, man is there something screaming at night here in the woods. I have should have recorded it when it was routine.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join