It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Dollar Officially Worth more than United States Dollar

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Octavius Maximus

Well lets see, in the ENTIRE Western Hemisphere, you either live in North America, South America, or Central America, of which the Carribean Islands are typically assigned to one of those three in any Atlas.

So Considering that the entire Western Hemisphere is mostly comprised of three different Americas, I think it is safe to say everyone in the West is an American, of one sort or the other.

I am aware that I left out Greenland, just as I did the Falkans, and those Dutch Islands, for various reasons, but if they want to be American, they can be too.

I only hope that you do not believe Unity, and peace are a bad thing....

[edit on 9/30/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Well lets see, in the ENTIRE Western Hemisphere, you either live in North America, South America, or Central America, of which the Carribean Islands are typically assigned to one of those three in any Atlas.

So Considering that the entire Western Hemisphere is mostly comprised of three different Americas, I think it is safe to say everyone in the West is an American, of one sort or the other.

good, then you can keep them and The US president can stop calling himself the leader of the western world.

Actually, no. He can keep that. Just keep the UK and Australia out of it.

Im in the east of the world and proud of it!

wait, what about Canada? its not a US state is it?

same with Cuba.

this is off topic, but its alittle annoyance i keep having.

I am aware that I left out Greenland, just as I did the Falkans, and those Dutch Islands, for various reasons, but if they want to be American, they can be too.

yeeeaah...im sure they would.

I only hope that you do not believe Unity, and peace are a bad thing....

It is if the self proclaimed 'leader of the western world' is a wanker.

Anyway, US dollar is down, hooray. Etc.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes

As a Canadian, I gotta say "HELL NO!".

I do not like the label "American" being applied to my head.
I've done some world traveling and was happy to learn that most other people do not think that Canadians are Americans.

We might be closely linked and share a lot of culture, but we do have some strong differences in values.
Canadians are much more relaxed and tolerant to each other. We also value politeness and social welfare. True, our national identity is best summed up by beer commercials and hockey, and that our tolerance is often mistaken for complacency, but we're just as proud of our nation as Americans.

Moslon really did manage to express a lot of Canadian feeling in this little gem:

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Of course you are Canadian. But Cananda is only one of the nation-states that comprise North America. So therefore, As a citizen living in the land of Canada, you are also an American of North [America

There is nothing wrong with this. It is a good thing, we share many culutral and economic friendships.

If The US had only been caled "The United States" throughout its history, would you have a problem with being called American or part of America?

I think a United currency would be a good thing for the all of us. It gives our people a GREAT amount in positive investment opportunities. Of course, we definetly cannot use the name Amero, that is just way too corny. I think sticking to anything under three sylables should get the point across just fine.

It would give us Northernmost Americans the chance to send our money to our Central and Southern neighbors so they get the opportunity to clean up their communities, develop their neighborhoods, bring up their general safety standards, industrial and agricultural output which in turn is helping the people and the community of the citizens in those locations.

But thats not the only part of it, most of that money will be returned to us, with commission!!

THERE IS A MASSIVE LOAD OF MONEY JUST CONCENTRATED IN ONLY A THIRD OF THE HEMISPEHERE. Spreading some of it out to the neighbors will not significantly bring down our own quality of life, it would only reduce over-consumption and waste.

At the same time that we would be reducing over-consumption and waste, we would in turn be helping out other people in the greater picture.

Positive events occure when positive people take positive actions.
Aside from accounting for purely random coincidences, can we really deny that statement?

[edit on 10/1/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Of course you are Canadian. But Cananda is only one of the nation-states that comprise North America. So therefore, As a citizen living in the land of Canada, you are also an American of North [America

No, he is a canadian of Canada. Which happens to be on the continent of America.

A german and a french person would be annoyed if you just labelled them both as Europeans because its hundreds of years of history which suddenly means nothing.

I think a United currency would be a good thing for the all of us. It gives our people a GREAT amount in positive investment opportunities. Of course, we definetly cannot use the name Amero, that is just way too corny. I think sticking to anything under three sylables should get the point across just fine.

What comes from America that isnt Corny?

FREEDOM, LIBERTY, JUSTICE!

The land of Comic book cliches awaits!

Positive events occur when positive people take positive actions.

I would like to try to do something here with his quote

Romeo and Juliet meet- Positive action
Their parents are at war, they decide to marry secretly- Positive action
Romeo avenges Mercutios death (iffy, but ill call it positive for now because the prince of cats deserved it)
A plan is made to allow Romeo and Juliet to live happily forever after- Positive action

Net result? One poisoned husband and one stabbed wife.

The positive part? They are already in a tomb, so net result for the family who pays for it...i guess.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Romeo and Juliet meet- Positive action
Their parents are at war, they decide to marry secretly- Positive action
Romeo avenges Mercutios death (iffy, but ill call it positive for now because the prince of cats deserved it)

Well first of all, I would say those events being described as positive actions would be somewhat iffy.

Any marriage, before the age of sixteen simply because you met, you saw each other as pretty, and getting together caused many problems across feuding families obviously would not be seen as positive today. I dare say nor would it be then, otherwise there would be no tragedy.

Secondly, any marriage that ended in double suicide was obviously not the best plan concieved.

Would you say it is a positive thing if two minors today hooked up, became trapped in their emotions and hormones, and eventually committed suicide as a result of bad communication, but ultimately becase of the dissaproval of both families?

I frankly dont see that as anywhere similar as giving poor people the means and resources to develop their communities, offer something more to sell, and in turn return the resources invested in them and then some, while their quality of life goes up?

Could you bridge the connection there somehow, I believe I am having trouble understanding your communications...

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   

It would give us Northernmost Americans the chance to send our money to our Central and Southern neighbors so they get the opportunity to clean up their communities, develop their neighborhoods, bring up their general safety standards, industrial and agricultural output which in turn is helping the people and the community of the citizens in those locations.

While this might be nice, I doubt things would happen that way.
Under a single currency, what I suspect would actually happen is that the US would exploit Canada for cheap resources, send them to Mexico to exploit cheap labor, then bring it home to sell back to those nations (as well as their own) at a drastic profit.

Might happen?
This is what's already happening!
A single currency would only make things worse.

The net effect is the Us gets richer by contributing almost nothing, yet the "feeder" nations are kept from developing. In this system, the US is a dominant parasite.

Those who are responsible for so much strife it the world (the "Owners") are the ones backing this plan. This is absolutely the wrong way to go.

But thats not the only part of it, most of that money will be returned to us, with commission!!

Ugh.
You need to view the videos in this thread: How our (the US) Financial System Really Works
Canada's Central Bank is Nationalized, by the way. Profits from the National Bank of Canada are returned to Canada. This alone is the biggest argument for Canadians saying NO to a single fiat currency.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Any marriage, before the age of sixteen simply because you met, you saw each other as pretty, and getting together caused many problems across feuding families obviously would not be seen as positive today. I dare say nor would it be then, otherwise there would be no tragedy.

Umm...context? realise that Shakespeare wrote in Early Modern Europe. Women were married early.

Consider, a boy became a man at 8 years old, and he had a sword on his hip from then on.

So your saying that people shouldnt fall in love unless it is convenient? Love isnt convenience.

Secondly, any marriage that ended in double suicide was obviously not the best plan concieved.

Your looking at it from the parents point of view.

From Romeo and Juliets point of view, this was the greatest thing ever. They were young lovers and nothing would get in their way. That is what real love is.

Would you say it is a positive thing if two minors today hooked up, became trapped in their emotions and hormones, and eventually committed suicide as a result of bad communication, but ultimately becase of the dissaproval of both families?

In hindsight, of course not.

At the time, when the 2 were into each other, of course it was a good idea, families be damned! Perhaps the families could learn something.

I frankly dont see that as anywhere similar as giving poor people the means and resources to develop their communities, offer something more to sell, and in turn return the resources invested in them and then some, while their quality of life goes up?

I was challenging your quote. Also, that logic works well if every person was their own marketplace, because they arnt and they work for bigger companies it all falls down.

Could you bridge the connection there somehow, I believe I am having trouble understanding your communications...

Im speaking English, not American.

Under a single currency, what I suspect would actually happen is that the US would exploit Canada for cheap resources, send them to Mexico to exploit cheap labor, then bring it home to sell back to those nations (as well as their own) at a drastic profit.

aaaaaaand

BINGO!

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
UMMM... What does Romeo and Juliet have to do with the dollar?

No matter. In Shakespear's day and indeed really from the dark ages up until the 19th century when life expectancies started rising, 15 or 16 was the average age of marriage. They were considered adults or close to it. Also marriages were usually arranged among Romeo and Juliet's class which was in part why their love was such an act of rebellion.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
What DOESNT Romeo and Juliet have to do with the Dollar?!

*ahem*

its all a conspiracy!

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

While this might be nice, I doubt things would happen that way.

That is just the normal way of the economics. In Canada, some businesses take advantage of better priced goods and import them or send them somewhere else to be processed and then bring it to their business for more profit. IF a business can do it in the same country, why cant a business do it across a continent? It is just normal business after all.

There will be increased jobs in Mexico, increased jobs in Canada, and everyone prospers. You make it sound as if noone is getting paid? EVERYONE is getting paid in the process.

And at the end of it all, you have the freedom to travel anywhere within the three with alot less hassle when the process is complete.

I like the way Canada is run, and would not mind enjoying the benefits of your system once it is merged with the rest of us. We get the best of yall, yall get the best of us, we all become safer, happier, and friendlier.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I like the way Canada is run, and would not mind enjoying the benefits of your system once it is merged with the rest of us. We get the best of yall, yall get the best of us, we all become safer, happier, and friendlier.

To put it as bluntly as possible;
I'd rather spill blood than be merged with the US or allow my country to be further raped.

Sorry, me and tyranny just don't get along.

[edit on 1-10-2007 by BitRaiser]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
resistance is futile?

I'm with BitRaiser.

As a Canadian, there's no way I'd welcome the NAU. In fact, I'm bitterly opposed to it.

Our Government, which thankfully is a weak Minority right now, is in no position to push for something this drastic over the next two years and my nose is telling me Canadians are already getting tired of the Harper government. Unless his administration does something brilliant before the next election, I propose he'll be gone.

The new Dion government would then be quite busy dismantling Harper's 'lock-step' relationship with the present American administration.

The problem I have with the NAU is not the American people... it's the government and their policies. NAFTA is not ancient history and we learned a lot from that 'deal'.

Fool me once, shame on you...

The fact that Harper continues to work behind the scenes on the Security and Prosperity Partnership frankly is disturbing. All I can assume with all this secrecy is that making it public would be a hugely unpopular mistake.

I don't want to parallel our Health Care system with America's or combine our military, our police forces, safety standards, workers rights, building codes, environmental standards, truck sizes and so forth.

I'd like Canada to go it's own way in all levels of government and keep our historical legislation intact, not watered down to some mishmash to facilitate Mexico and America.

I admire the British for fighting the EU off themselves and I believe that Canada will, in the end, do the same. I sure can't see Quebec fighting the RoC over that one.

I like being a Canadian.

Whatever level the dollar rises to, let it rise and we'll change with the tides. If it goes down again, so what? Been there, done that. I like my loonies and twonies the way they are.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Ahh well you disagree, I agree with the NAU. I think however, once you see it come about, because IT WILL, you will just accept it.

Any decision to go violent is purely your free will, and noone esle will be held liable for the consequences the violent minority choose to proceed with.

I will just go with the flow. Buy some cheap land, build some businesses, invest the profit into liquid securities and other stuff, but how si that different than anythign anyone does today, with the borders?

Lets build a world without walls and live in peace eh?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
so once you make every country "America Junior" (whether they want it or not) what then?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
If you ask me its all on purpose! They cant introduce the Amero until they wreck our economy first! Makes sense to me! The American dollar also fell short of the friggin Euro! Twice recently!
reply to post by sp00n1

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Once it drops below the Australian dollar i will be happy.

I think Australia should buy the US's nuclear capacity and destroy it then. It would be awsome.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Sorry Octavius, that wont happen, because whether you believe it or not, our two countries are currently controlled by the same European dynasty. but it sounds like the wet dream of a terrorist, nuke an enitre nation and kill millions of civilians.

In any case, once everyone has been merged into the United States of Earth, we shall all work together on exploring space, and meeting new civilizations, and start colonizing the moon and stuff. We will mine the asteroids, send diamond plated probes to explore the outer reaches of the sun (hey we should do that now) you know, all that cool sci-fi stuff like star trek. eventually we will unfortunately come across a hostile alien race that will instigate an interstellar war, and who knows what'll happen then.

Hey maybe we could all work together on creating new world wonders and marvels of engineering, humanity has not done too many of those recently.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
UPDATE:

The conversion ratio is now;

1 CAD$ = 1.0183 U$D (and climbing)

With the possibility of future rate cuts, the dollar is in for a very rough ride. The jobs report was lackluster at best.

There are a whole host of reasons why i believe things are about to get a whole hell of a lot worse.

The decline of the dollar has just begun. For years, educated individuals have warned that the lifespan of the dollar was very limited, and the more it is abused the sooner that end will come. Cynics have continually insisted that the collapse of the dollar is all just nonsense, despite the historical precedent set by every other FIAT currency in history.

However, current economic unrest have shown many of the dollar's most ardent supporters that the dollar's life is, in fact, very limited. Most experts agree that the dollar is loosing support every minute.

The only disagreement that currently exists is the self-styled apologists that insist a weak dollar is somehow good for america. It's not.

A massive panic is about to be unleashed.

[edit on 10/9/2007 by sp00n1]

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Dude, are you serious?

WE are gonna be the ones to go all peaceful, despite our history of constant war with a few breaks to rebuild so there's something to fight over again. THEN, we'll run into the EVIL ALIENS..... Thanks for the laugh.

Topic: Despite the fall of the dollar, irrational exuberance continues on Wall Street. Bad news is Good news. They don't seem to understand what will happen when our debtors stop financing us and sell their holdings due to 1 too many rate cuts (erosion of their investment). The true meaning of RUDE awakening is about to happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join