It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Dollar Officially Worth more than United States Dollar

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Octavius Maximus

I was being EXTREMELY sarcastic and I was attempting humor.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by grover]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Don't you think this and the mortgage debt is all a result of Bush and the Congress running up the debt?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Update : I just went to the Beer store for the weekly supply, and the US Exchange for them is 0.92 cents.

As I said, theres a difference between the economic index, and the actual buying power of the currency. To our market sector, the US dollar is becoming worthless. Meanwhile the world bank still considers it to be on par with the Canadian Dollar.

I am really starting to worry about our economy. Canada is losing a BIG buyer of our resources here. And people wonder why we have trade deals with Russia, China, etc. We have to survive. If the US isn't there, then we'll have to sell to someone else.

The US gets most of it's Uranium from our mines. If they can't afford it, they're going to have a problem fueling their power plants.
Especially when they can't afford the electricity we are already supplying in massive amounts to the Northern US.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I always thought Canada's major exports were Moosehead Ale and Molson!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

The US gets most of it's Uranium from our mines. If they can't afford it, they're going to have a problem fueling their power plants.
Especially when they can't afford the electricity we are already supplying in massive amounts to the Northern US.

Actually...wow, thats quite nasty. You have quite an amount of Leverage over the US with that.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
We don't really have that much leverage when you think about it.

Sure, we could shut down most northern states power grids easily, and stop selling uranium, fresh water, lumber, minerals, and countless other supplies... but we're not stupid. We know that if we used that as a threat, the US would find some excuse to "liberate" us.

We Canadians are patient though, we can wait until the US does itself in. We'll just remember how they've treated us in the past when they're asking for our assistance.

It's Karma, if the US deals it's cards right, we may just feel merciful, if the US attempts to back Canada into a corner to get what it needs, I can almost guarantee we will withhold the very assistance they need.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I've been quite aware of the leverage that Canada has over the US for quite awhile... we just don't choose to use it. Canadians are just like that, ya know?

There's no doubt now, though.
We've got a big hammer.
I think there's a few trade issues we need to work out.

The tourism industry is going to be the biggest impacted by all this. American tourism in Canada has been falling off for the last few years. This is largely to do with border crossing becoming a pain in the rear, but it's been helped along by media messages spreading fear about us. For example, I recall seeing a Fox piece on "The Dangers of Traveling in Canada". I watched it just because it was so damned funny. Most recently, there has been quite a bit of noise about our green leafy drug trade... which is practically legal here. In BC, it's a big part of the economy. It's far from the dangerous industry that the US media has made it out to be.

I'm digressing...

My point is I expect to see some local tourism companies going out of business at the close of next year's season.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Why are we talking about Canada's leverage over the US and Vica Versa? We are One, including Mexico. this whole thing of the US not being able to buy from Canada, or Canada using its leverage to make demands is simply prepostrious, it is like telling one limb of your body it will suffer at the hand of the other, or something.

We are one now in our daily processes, and we will soon be made as one officially and on paper. Let us find the way to make the best of every side of the move, and prosper from it as well.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dingleberry77
America is about to go "pop". And there will be mess everywhere!

I agree....within 2 years our country will be vastly differnt from the one we have known for centuries.......The new age is almost here........We have sat back and trusted crooked people with our countries dealings for too long....The america dollar sucks because we are in debt...they get money for the ware..then a few people profit hardcore off of it and the rest go broke.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Why are we talking about Canada's leverage over the US and Vica Versa? We are One, including Mexico. this whole thing of the US not being able to buy from Canada, or Canada using its leverage to make demands is simply prepostrious, it is like telling one limb of your body it will suffer at the hand of the other, or something.

Not all people follow this line of thought.

Canada, the US and Mexico are one and happy when it suits them.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Are you feeling left out?

Do not worry, I am sure we can throw Australia into the mix. The more the merrier. We will just create some super massive bridge From NA to the Island so easy transportation right ....

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
At the moment I'm just enjoying the low value of the dollar. I buy software and books and all kinds of computer equipment cheaper as ever.

If the dollar drops down more we maybe can buy New York back wich we were forced to sell in 1664 to England.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Exactly, the wise man knows that everytime anything happens to the value of something, the opposite is happening somewhere else. Rather than despair in the loss, rejoice in the gains one can make by taking advantage and prosper.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Are you feeling left out?

Do not worry, I am sure we can throw Australia into the mix. The more the merrier. We will just create some super massive bridge From NA to the Island so easy transportation right ....

*Shudders*

Please no, that would be illegal under the international torture act.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   

That was an extremely commical statement. Man that was funny. Oh ok, I guess we will just have to have all the fun while you watch. Eventually you will see how nice it really ends up. Maybe yall will do the same in the Asia-Pacific area?

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
sorry, i cant take a person seriously when in their sig they have

Everyone who lives in the Western Hemisphere is an American.

Please...just no.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yesterday, the loony officially closed above the US dollar for the first time during this whole thing.

The Canadian dollar closed daily trading above parity with the U.S. dollar Friday for first time since November 1976.

The Canadian currency closed at 100.52 US cents, gaining 0.66 of a cent. The U.S. dollar stood at 99.48 Canadian cents, down 0.66 of a cent.

Source

Now that the parity hurdle has been surpassed, will the loony continue it's rise?

Might be time to renew my passport... I wouldn't mind picking up a could of toys on the cheep down south.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Tell me when they start shaving tenths off of pennies.

He who makes a beast of himself..... gets rid of the pain of being a man.

[edit on 30-9-2007 by zero_xavier]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Pennies?

There's more to this than meets the eye and higher taxes doesn't explain it all.

Now that the US/ CAN. dollars are on an equal footing, some interesting things are coming to light... like car prices for instance.

Canadian car buyers have been the victims of an illegal plot by automakers to inflate the prices of cars in Canada and discourage cross-border car buying, according to a $2-billion class-action lawsuit.

www.cbc.ca...

The car dealerships in America are turning away Canadian shoppers as they suddenly discover they've been duped with higher sticker prices.

The court case is going to be something to watch, imo.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Hehe, amusing article.
I remember this:

Five years ago, when the Canadian dollar was worth 62 cents US, the cross-border price differential was reversed. Canadian car prices then were often thousands of dollars cheaper than U.S. prices, after the exchange rate was factored in.

I recall seeing a story on Fox about "The Danger's of Buying Canadian Cars" at the time. It was a clear case of scare the consumer into doing what you want.

There are some other issues that are being raised now that the dollar has grown so much. For example, I recently re-purchased "Hegemony or Survival" (for the 3rd time... I keep lending it and people keep keeping it). Printed in Canada, Canadian Price $18.95, US price $13.00. How odd is that?

This is actually a well known issue in economics.
It's commonly called "the Bigmac index". The idea is that a big mac might cost $2.50 in the US, but still costs $3.25 up here in Canada, even with the economic index being roughly even. This is mostly due to retailers in the US being much larger (since they are serving a larger customer base) and thus they have more buying power. It's somewhat off-set these days by the number of cross-border companies, but increased shipping costs can knock things up a bit.

Still... I bought that book at Chapters (a Canadian Company). It was printed here. With the way things are, it should have been cheaper for me to purchase it here than in the states...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join