It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by fweshcawfee
Although the conversion rate fluctuates constantly, as of 9:13 am today the Canadian dollar is currently worth about one tenth of one cent more than the American dollar. Wooptie Doo?
Originally posted by uberarcanist
Man, if I had a dollar for everytime America's financial death was prematurely predicted. Look at it this way, how are all the other countries faring in standard-of-living measures as compared to America? I would be worrying about the other countries and not America.
Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
I haven't seen anyone post yet about how this devaluation is part of a conspiracy to force the North American Union on United States-ers.
If the dollar goes the route of the italian lira, Americans will champion the issuing of the "Amero" for financial reasons.
I figured somebody would have posted that by page two.
Originally posted by looofo
The $ is going to be so low that the Chinese are going to buy all US companies that are worth some money. The IBM pc company (now Lenovo) could have been only be the beginning.
At the start of the € (euro), 1€ costs 0,9$, Now for 1€ you get 1.4$. That looks like a lot but that didn't change much for the Europeans (ok, the fuel is 10% cheaper).
[edit on 24-9-2007 by looofo]
Originally posted by dingleberry77
America is about to go "pop". And there will be mess everywhere!
Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
UMM...........This isnt good.
It is coming......
Do not resist......
The day where no borders exist is coming soon to a town near you....
Originally posted by boomadatigger
Well, if America were to fall then so will the rest of the world. So, all this "my currency is now worth more than yours" crap mystifies me. Heh, already I see the lines being drawn between countries should this come true. Despite what most countries may think America's presence has kept the world from slaughtering itself a loooong time ago. Once we are out of the picture I fear the world will plunge itself back into the dark ages starting with the middle east.
Originally posted by camain
I agree with scientist. Super inflation has occurred in several 3rd world nations, Peru in the 70's-80's, Zimbabwae in the 90's- 00's. Your mortgage may go stay $120,000, @ say a 6% interest rate, but your electric, gas, water, sewer would all go up. This is because the price to move products would go up. Think of this not as a #1 nation, but as a 3rd world nation. Most people in 3rd world nations spend 90% of there income on food and shelter. the other 10% goes to luxuries, such as cooking oil, heating oil, and clothing.
Now take the average American that spends 50% on food and shelter, and 50% on luxury items such as TV, internet, phones, etc. How are they going to react to living like a 3rd world person does? In a word, Nuts, cause thats exactly what would happen. YOU would see MASS protests in the U.S.
The Government doesn't want that, so as a result, there going to do everything possible to make the death as slow as possible. I.E. my death by a 1000 cuts theory. We still have a long way to go in my opinion till that happens. Ofcourse if some world altering effect happened, this could result in a more drastic change, but at our current levels, I give us 10 years.
Just my humble opinion. Additionally, someone mentioned about making it easier on mexicans, and investing in mexico. I saw an article on Corporations opening up farms in Mexico. You get the Cheap labor, and none of the hassle all at the same time. Might wanna look into one of these companies if interested in investing.