It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Dollar Officially Worth more than United States Dollar

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sp00n1
People think its normal to go into a hospital and pay $80 for an aspirin because it's been that way for a long time.

Really?

Can someone... anyone... please produce an $80.00 receipt for one aspirin please.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Very true, though I might dispute how 'wonderful' Scandinavia is, since they are being overrun by muslims.

What is your point?

Im in Australia, i am an Atheist, i have a mosque 20 minutes away from my house, and alot of my friends are Muslim.

Now...if you say this kind of thing again i will have to report you.

Clear?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I haven't seen anyone post yet about how this devaluation is part of a conspiracy to force the North American Union on United States-ers.

If the dollar goes the route of the italian lira, Americans will champion the issuing of the "Amero" for financial reasons.

I figured somebody would have posted that by page two.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
No currency expert here but I a couple of thoughts. I think that a weak dollar at this time might be not a big problem, it will make it cheaper for people to buy american products in the US and worldwide, as foreign products get more expensive people will buy more american meaning more production, more jobs here.

The other side of that is the risk of inflation and such but I dont think we will feel that impact in a brunt, I think the government will step in and do something if not for the regular folk then for the corporations that will see their profits reduced by the effect.

I just think its all part of the big economic cycle, nothing more to it.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
like dr_strangecraft mentioned, this could very well be a manipulation of the US dollar to equal the CAN$. The situation could easily be the excuse to introduce the Amero, I mean hey....they're all equal anyway right?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This is going to be very bad for Canada. This decrease in the American dollar will drop the rates of tourism, purchases and hotel stays in Canada.
Which in turn will raise the tourism, purchases and hotel stays in the US.
Canada is going to get a little higher then the US dollar, then it will start dropping back down again, while the US dollar will start going up.

The other side of that is the risk of inflation and such but I dont think we will feel that impact in a brunt, I think the government will step in and do something if not for the regular folk then for the corporations that will see their profits reduced by the effect.

For Canada this will deflate products and such because everything will be too expensive for Americans. Many people will be laid off because companies do not need to produce as much products for tourists.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Equinox99]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I would think that more people will have no other choice than to buy imported products ie made in china. More people will be buying from Walmart. That will all they will be able to afford.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Does this mean that the snowbirds will embrace the practice of tipping this winter? Could be great news for the economy in my neck of the woods. Or maybe I'm just being foolishly optimistic.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
There is a vast difference on tipping, depending on the region from whence your canucks have come.

Ontarians tip at the rate of 15% normally.

I can't speak for Quebeckers

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by deessell

That might me true but as is all about competition in my opinion, the way the Yuan is valued gives Chinese products an unfair advantage, but that system is do for a shake up because is unsustainable.

If the Chinese government revalued the Yuan and it gets some parity with the dollar, I think it will serve better for us. That would have also some other consequences too, but at some point is something that the Chinese must do sooner or later, I truly believe that in a level playing field U.S. products beat Chinese products any day, not to mention that on a level playing field outsourcing won't be need it, so more jobs will stay here and many jobs will come back IMO. All good for the U.S. economy.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well I know what I am doing. I am going to the bank and getting as many 50 cent pieces made before 1960 as they are made of silver.
I don't trust the dollar and I am going to take the precautions to take care of my family. As for all the people from other countries, its all fun and games looking from the outside in and you sit all high and mighty looking down your noses at America. There are real hard working Americans and their families in jeopardy and don't even know it not because they are worried about Brittney or whatever other nonsense you guys seem to think we spend all our time worrying about. A lot of people do as I do and spend time with their family and don't have time for the foolishness of celebrities.
A lot of hard working Americans spend 60 to 80 hours at work and don't even turn on their T.V's. It seems every thread I go into have people that never even been to America, much less ever met one and still have the balls to say they know all about what Americans do with their time and money. Do all Americans a favor and worry about you and your own country.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

quebecers are great tippers.

they even tip the gas pump guy, something you don't see in ontario too much.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
WOOHOO NAU yea baby!!!! Cannot wait until it is easier for me to invest in Mexico. The other half of my family is Mexican, so I got plenty of area to scout for investment. So if we can just get rid of that pesky passport thing for travelin on this continent, and possibly erase the import/export duties on stuff going to and fro there, it will be a great opportunity for us saavy investors to go make some money, and contribute to the economic development of our united partner.

It will be fun, we will exchange cultures on a more personal level, and it should become easier for us to learn Spanish, and vica versa.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

I haven't seen anyone post yet about how this devaluation is part of a conspiracy to force the North American Union on United States-ers.

Why has it not been brought up that the PESO is now 10 = $1USD???

Remember it being posted a while back that it was predicted something would happen (Amero?) when the CAN and USD were equal, and 10 peso = $1 ?? Well, keep an eye on things.. This is weird times. I have no idea what is going on, keep throwing ideas out there everyone.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
quebecers are great tippers.

they even tip the gas pump guy, something you don't see in ontario too much.

I'm from Ontario and I tipped the young man at a gas pump in Quebec.

I must be one of the few.

Most pumps in Ontario are self-serve, btw.

I remember being in Alberta recently and tipping an Esso gas attendant who told me to go to another gas bar around the corner because, as he said, "I hate Esso... the other guys are charging the right price, but our company is just gouging customers".

People are different all over and that's the truth.

The big debate in Canada right now is why there is such a difference in big ticket items. A $50,000 car in Canada costs $40,000 in the states. If we're at par, what's with the 20% price hike?

edit to add;

Canada-U.S. pricing dilemma
Canadians look at sharply lower auto prices in States and feel it's very unfair they're paying thousands more while the buck hovers near par; Wheels talks to buyers, dealers and car makers

www.wheels.ca...

[edit on 24/9/07 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by camain
If this was to occur, Americans would no longer be able to A.) pay credit card bills, B.) buy new gadgets, C.) continue to waste money hand over fist on useless nonsense.

You would see the retail sector fall, followed by the banking sector, as people would stop paying there credit card bills, and/or mortgages, followed by the rest of the worlds economies going south.

I see another side to this. I'm not economics expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm off base here. If the value of the American dollar degrades as severely as folks on here are predicting, I see the opposite happening. For example, I currently have a $120,000 mortgage on my house. If the price of a loaf of bread jumps up to $10, wages will have to increase so that people can survive. My $120,000 mortgage, which seems like an enormous amount of money to me right now (it's 2.5 years pay) will suddenly become not so bad. Right now it's 120,000 loaves of bread...afterwards it's only 12,000 loaves of bread. It would seem that a collapse in the dollar value would actually be a good thing for personal debt in this country.

Also, outsourcing will go away when it becomes cheaper to hire US workers than to export to india. This might be exactly what we need to get the country back on track.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle

Originally posted by camain
If this was to occur, Americans would no longer be able to A.) pay credit card bills, B.) buy new gadgets, C.) continue to waste money hand over fist on useless nonsense.

You would see the retail sector fall, followed by the banking sector, as people would stop paying there credit card bills, and/or mortgages, followed by the rest of the worlds economies going south.

feel free to correct me if I'm off base here. If the value of the American dollar degrades as severely as folks on here are predicting, I see the opposite happening. For example, I currently have a $120,000 mortgage on my house. If the price of a loaf of bread jumps up to $10, wages will have to increase so that people can survive. My $120,000 mortgage, which seems like an enormous amount of money to me right now (it's 2.5 years pay) will suddenly become not so bad.

i see where you are going, but that's not how it works.

If all of the debt in the country is all of a sudden not worth what it once was, then all of the mortgage companies will go under, since they will not be able to continue, unless the debts are also adjusted for inflation.

This is one of the reasons we're in trouble now - the banks loaned out way too much money, and are not hurting because of it.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I knew we were in trouble three years ago when Buffet put all his assets in Euros. There is an upside though. American goods will be cheaper and promote more jobs. We have been at China for a decade now to revaluate the Yen. A one world monetary denomination can not be too far off.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I agree with scientist. Super inflation has occurred in several 3rd world nations, Peru in the 70's-80's, Zimbabwae in the 90's- 00's. Your mortgage may go stay $120,000, @ say a 6% interest rate, but your electric, gas, water, sewer would all go up. This is because the price to move products would go up. Think of this not as a #1 nation, but as a 3rd world nation. Most people in 3rd world nations spend 90% of there income on food and shelter. the other 10% goes to luxuries, such as cooking oil, heating oil, and clothing.

Now take the average American that spends 50% on food and shelter, and 50% on luxury items such as TV, internet, phones, etc. How are they going to react to living like a 3rd world person does? In a word, Nuts, cause thats exactly what would happen. YOU would see MASS protests in the U.S.

The Government doesn't want that, so as a result, there going to do everything possible to make the death as slow as possible. I.E. my death by a 1000 cuts theory. We still have a long way to go in my opinion till that happens. Ofcourse if some world altering effect happened, this could result in a more drastic change, but at our current levels, I give us 10 years.

Just my humble opinion. Additionally, someone mentioned about making it easier on mexicans, and investing in mexico. I saw an article on Corporations opening up farms in Mexico. You get the Cheap labor, and none of the hassle all at the same time. Might wanna look into one of these companies if interested in investing.

Cheers.

Camain

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee
Really?

Can someone... anyone... please produce an $80.00 receipt for one aspirin please.

Thanks.

I'm not going to post any of my personal information online, thank you. Especially concerning my health.

However, with even a cursory level of research it is incredibly easy to verify what i said. Of course, you wont do the research if you dont want to hear what it says...

Anyway, i did it for you. It's an MSM article too;
$129 for a box of tissues?!?!?!?!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join