It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Incredible Tale of Valor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
In the war on terror there are those who place their lives in jeopardy every single day without putting much thought to it. It's the norm.

But, sometimes, the situation calls for something more and because of men who live for something greater than themselves, one soldier stands today as a testament to courage, honor, and brotherhood.

The RPG that had plowed into Moss' lower abdomen stretched from one hip to the other. If the RPG went off, it would kill everyone within 30 feet of him. Yet Angell stayed close, bandaging his wounds and stabilizing the weapon so that movement wouldn't cause it to explode.

Moss was still fully conscious, so Angell ordered him to not look down at the injury. He didn't want Moss to panic.

"I'm gonna do everything I can," Angell said to Moss. "You keep fighting with me and I'll keep fighting with you."

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
That was a truly amazing story. The way these men handled themselves in such extreme conditions is moving. Just incredible acts of courage.They all took the chance of losing there own lives to help a fellow human from losing his.

The best part of the story for me is this:

"I was given a second chance. And to whom much is given ... much is expected. So a lot is expected of me," Moss said.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

"I was given a second chance. And to whom much is given ... much is expected. So a lot is expected of me," Moss said.

I agree. That is a very moving statement and a commitment.

I wish him well.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
these are the sort of people whom you have to just shake their hand, and admire their integrity.

You sit here and think how precious life is, and the people you love, and it must take someone special to be able to gamble all that to save another.

a good ' feel-good ' article,thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I watched it on 20/20. It was incredible. Not one of the operating staff left. They all stayed to help remove that RPG from Moss, even though it could've gone off at anytime and possibly killed or maimed them all.

They opened him up and the EOD expert actually used a hacksaw to cut the RPG in half, so that he could remove the explosive charge.

It could've gone off at any second....incredible.

Even more incredible is Moss's recovery. He's a true fighter and soldier.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I am just at a loss for the right words to say......

God Bless all involved!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Incredibly moving and heartening to read of such remarkable courage and caring for one's fellow man.

Really, all those involved in this incident are touched with grace, and it is such courage and sacrifice as this that ennobles that tragic misadventure--not the hollow rhetoric from the Pentagon or the White House.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
People like these reaffirms my faith in humanity. Wish there were a whole lot more of them. It must have been surreal hearing the ordinance team exploding the cut off rpg in the bunker. The most compelling thing I remember from that special was how the team was being advised if it goes off they would be reduced to 'red vapor' within 30 ft.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Wow, what a story.

Many thanks to the brave evac and medical staff that stayed, when many would have feared for thier own lives and walked out.

Absolutely amazing.

I wanted to share this part of the story too, for those that might not have read all the way down to the end.

Several soldiers involved with saving Moss have since been honored or promoted. Here are their current ranks and awards they have received.

Maj. John Oh, general surgeon -- The Soldier's Medal

Maj. Kevin Kirk, orthopedic surgeon -- Army Commendation Medal with Valor

SSG Eric Wynn and Pfc. Channing Moss -- Purple Heart

CW3 Jorge Correa, MEDEVAC pilot, and Sgt. John Collier, flight medic -- Air Medal with Valor

CW2 Jeremy Smith, co-pilot, and SSG Christian Roberts, crew chief -- Air Medal

Sgt Jared Angell, field medic, and SFC Dan Brown, explosives expert -- Bronze Star with Valor

[edit on 24-9-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Type of person i would spend my last penny buying him a drink and shaking his hand. If only all soliders were like that.

ProTo FF

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Bravo. I have to say, I think this is pretty dang cool -

" Incredibly, both Oh and Kirk had drilled for this exact scenario, because the Army has a protocol to handle patients with unexploded ordnance in them. "

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Truly an amazing group of men. All of them showing such courage from Pvt Moss fighting to live and the men who fought with him they demonstrate the best of human nature.

Pvt Moss obviously has many great things yet to accomplish.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
And these are the type of heroes that the American people need back home where they could be saving civilians who did not sign forms that would put them under foreign guns. A nation citizens who allows such men to get sent overseas where they might be killed for corporate profit will eventually feel the loss in their own daily lives when they wait for ambulances, police, firemen to assist them in their times of need.

Such a waste and for nothing!

Stellar

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Like every one has said before me, thanks for posting.
The resolve and determination that these men and or women showed knows no bounds. I would want to thank them and all those who crossed there path who shaped there character and professionalism.
I would like to know what Moss will be doing. This story of his, if he remembers it as the article reads, will be a very useful tool on the lecture circuit.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
An amazing writer, Richard Maybury, wrote the following in a book titled
"World War II: The rest of the story and how it affects you today":

"If a person plays chicken with a train, risking his life to beat it to the railroad crossing, is he brave?
Certainly.
Is he a hero?
Not hardly. Bravery does not become heroism unless it is for a good cause.
I have heard people say I am a hero for risking my life when I was in the Air Force. They are wrong. I may have been brave, but I was not a hero; I was a fool because I risked my life for a cause that was absurd. If I had died, it would have been no different that if I had lost a race with a train."

I always wanted to join the armed forces growing up and even went to military school, but as I became older and learned more I realized that nobody fights for a good cause any more. They fight for "interests", with delusions of good causes built up around them. And who's interests may I ask? Certainly not ours. Certainly not mine. My life is worth more than a corrupted "interest", and so is every soldier, Iraqi, Iranian, African, whoever.
I read this story and all I can think about is how many men, women, and children have died and will die for a cause that never existed.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
I read this story and all I can think about is how many men, women, and children have died and will die for a cause that never existed.

In this case, the cause was that of one man's life.

Every single person who was involved took on the risks willingly.

Those individuals are heroes and I have nothing but pity for those who are unable to recognize valor when they see it or hear of it.

That is true spiritual poverty.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
And these are the type of heroes that the American people need back home where they could be saving civilians who did not sign forms that would put them under foreign guns. A nation citizens who allows such men to get sent overseas where they might be killed for corporate profit will eventually feel the loss in their own daily lives when they wait for ambulances, police, firemen to assist them in their times of need.

Such a waste and for nothing!

Stellar

What are you thinking to suggest that only heros are in the military. I would say absolutely these men are heros and thank God that the story was told. I believe that we all have a hero in us, but most are unsung. These men have integriy, compassion, honor, and a love for their country, as well as humanity. They possessed all these qualities before they enlisted, have it today, and will have it always. These are true American citizens, not just military men, but Americans! We still have heros in every State, every City and every neiborhoood.

I am from a long liniage of military families. I view each man and woman that serve are a hero in their own lives. Lets face it, in todays world, it takes courage simply to join the military, because of the controversy surrounding the war, and our leaders.

Each time you bash the war, and our leaders, do you not realize that the enemy is listening, and that you are feeding them to continue their terrorism. You say "I support the troops, but not the war". Hog wash, if you truely supported our men, you wouldn't critisize our leaders and the war. That only makes their lives more difficult. Those men and women hear your words too you know. Would that boost your moral?

I say each person that serves this Nation in whatever manner, are Heros.
I thank Grady for his talent of finding such wonderful stories that point to the positive and good in people that is the majority in this wonderful country of ours.

(PS) When I use the pronoun "you" I refer to the citizens collectively, not the member personally.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
War brings out the worst and best in people. Thanks for posting the story, it was a nice read. Im critical to the war in general, but there is no denying that there are brave men out there.

And yes, there are equally brave men in the Iraqi army of course. This is not about being an american. Its about being human.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Great post, Grady

All of those guys are truly amazing...For so many people to risk their own lives to save one man's life really makes you believe in how good humanity can really be, when often it isn't...

Peace

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PORCUPINEPIE

i couldnt have put it better myself.

godbless these men for their ability to do what so many could never dream of.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join