It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Member Judged Debates and First-Timers-Only Tournament

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
IsaacKoi and More_Serotonin Pls have missed their posts. Shearder and AZchuck may make their openings.

Your opponents are still in the debate, they just took too long and didn't indicate when they planned to post, so they missed 1 of their 5 posts.

Also I'd like to remind everyone to spellcheck and use the preview post feature. I do edit when necessary, but not a lot.

And it's good if you go through several drafts and it doesn't feel like a normal post. That's a sign you're doing it right.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
IsaacKoi and More_Serotonin Pls have missed their posts.

Oops. Sorry about that. I've been rather busy the last few days, but normal service should resume from tomorrow. I look forward to reading my opponent's post and should be able to respond on time.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Several of our contestants have U2U'd to ask for extensions- extensions are being granted.

I know not everyone agrees with their position- that's part of life in the tournament. In order to effectively argue a position you don't agree with, it is extremely helpful to have the humility to acknowledge that your beliefs may be incorrect, so that you do not find yourself ignoring the arguments which can be made in favor of your position.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I always figured I was trying to win a debate, not change peoples minds...

There is a HUGE difference...

Also when I was handed a debate side I did not agree with, it MADE me research even more and I found myself learning more about the topic...

Just saying

Semper

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This isn't exactly "procedure", but I would like to offer a recommendation here.

If you are quoting an external source, obviously you need to cite the reference. But rather than consuming all of your characters on quoting the text straight from the source, make an effort to post the material in your own words. In my opinion, it looks much better when a member has a post filled with all of their own words, rather than regurgitating text that we can find anywhere on the web.

Just my two cents on the matter. Take it for what you will.

Good luck to everyone involved.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Chissler and Semperfortis are exactly correct.

And, as far as the readers are concerned, apparently so was Skyfloating, who is the first member to advance to the next round. Congratulations.

Nobody who has the misfortune of losing in the first round should be let down though. It absolutely has to happen to half of you, no matter how well you do. I strongly recommend you guys challenge eachother to individual matches if you are eliminated and keep racking up valuable experience, as well as ranking points which can earn you an easier seeding in the early rounds of a future tournament.

A question has been asked about videos. Link to videos, do not put them in your posts. Do NOT rely on videos to make your case for you- summarize them for yourself. Your words should make your case. Your sources should only prove that your words aren't just made up. It looks much better in the eyes of many people I've heard from.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Some GREAT posts on this page!! I agree with all that has been said. I don't mind losing the first round if that's how it is to be. It is a learning curve and putting your words down in such a way that it convinces even your opponent is something to strive for. AND if you are debating from a position you don't agree with, let your OWN post convince YOURSELF!!

I guess that's what we need to strive for?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Congrats to Skyfloating. I thought that dntwastetime had a good base for his argument. And win or lose, this has been educational. I'm enjoying debating budski, he's always been an informed poster and I knew this first round would be tough.

Even if I lose first round, I'd do this again. It puts your critical thinking skills to the forefront. Working out your mental muscles is good for you.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
My congrats to Skyfloating as well, although I am a little disappointed that dntwastetime seemed to concede a bit early, especially as he had been in the process of building a good case IMO.
I'm having a good time debating also with GAOTU789, and agree wholeheartedly with semper and chissler's recomendations.
Time to do my shopping and fulfil my social obligations for the day - I'll post my next reply later

[edit on 3/10/2007 by budski]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
thanks for the congrats guys. I have been following your debates just as eagerly as I have been following mine. what my opponent didnt know is that I had run out of ideas for my side. Had he pushed on and not given up halfway, he could have blasted me out of the tournament. I got lucky.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Let me just say that this idea of a newcomer debate is great, and if there are to be furture debates for 1st timers, count me in.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Isaac Koi, you are up because azchuck missed his post.

Azchuck, are you still with us?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Isaac Koi, you are up because azchuck missed his post.

OK.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Hey guys. There is really some great stuff going on here. I'm just now getting around to reading these debates and I'm really enjoying what I've read.

Take heart in the comments of Chissler and Semper, as well as Vagabond. They know what they're talking about. Just keep your chins up and do your best, that's all that can be asked of anyone. Also, try to have some fun if you get a topic side you disagree with. It's a great way to learn a lot about how some people view things, and it will give you better perspective for when you actually are on "your" side of a debate.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Well it's done. Thanks budski, that was a great debate. I won't say whether I agree or disagree with my side but I will say that it was educational on both sides.

I made a couple of spelling mistakes in my last post but I'm tired, it's been a long day so I guess they are acceptable.

Looking forward to your closing bud, and good luck.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Well, I'm done.
Thanks to GAOTU789 for a lively and interesting debate on a great subject.
If I go down, I go down with head held high to a worthy opponent.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Hey congratulations guys on a great debate. The judges always have their hands full with quality competitors such as yourselves.

Now that I have my challenge match over, I can really take a hard look at all of these great matches!

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I really enjoyed the GAOTU vs. Budski debate...both sides of it.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I know I've been a bit of a flake during the week. Things have been a bit hectic with my classes. Such is college I guess.

Anyway, I'm back, I've judged the debates that are concluded, and I have bumped along all of the debates that were stalled out. Several members have been disqualified for missing two posts.

If you've missed one, its important that you stay on top of your debate if you still want to compete.

Hopefully this round will wrap up in a couple of days then we can pair you guys up for round 2, where the matches will get tougher and probably move quite a bit faster, since at that point we will have eliminated those who aren't serious about this.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Congrats budski.

I knew this round was going to be tough. I read a lot of budski's posts and he is a well informed poster and a damn good researcher. You were right about the transmigration theory. I'm on the fence about reincarnation but do not agree with transmigration so I didn't want my biases to show through. In hind sight, maybe I should have tackled it.

Good luck to whomever faces him in the next round, you're going to need it.

This was my first debate but won't be my last, keep me in mind for the next one vagabond.

*in best arnie voice* I'll be back.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join