It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Member Judged Debates and First-Timers-Only Tournament

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The recent ATS Debate Tournament attracted more than twice as many interested members as could be allowed to debate, and I have a list of about 20 members who were interested but didn't get to debate. Virtually all of those members have never debated on ATS before.

So, let's have a tournament for those who have never participated in ATS debates before.

A U2U is being sent to everyone who expressed interest in the last tournament, and they have first call at spots in this tournament for the first 72 hours.

Anyone who has never debated can throw their hat into the ring immediately by posting their desire to participate in this thread- if you didn't speak up last time, you still don't have to wait. Members who were interested last time WILL GET A SPOT if they chime in within the first 72 hours.
Everyone else is first come, first served.

There are 16 openings, but this can be expanded to 24 if needed.

This isn't exactly like a normal tournament.
First and foremost, the hardened veterans won't be involved, so it's anyone's game.

Second, the ATS Debate Championship will NOT change hands. The rewards for success in this tournament are stars, applause, and ranking points for the debate forum. (Ranking points determine seeding of championship tournaments- the higher your ranking is, the less likely you are to face a high-powered opponent in the early rounds).

This tournament will be worth half the usual amount of ranking points. You get 1 point for each round you participate in, instead of 2, which are awarded in championship tournaments. You get 1 point if you lose in the first round, 2 points if you lose in the second, 3 if you lose in the third, 4 if you lose in the final round, and 5 if you win the tournament.

Judging will also be different. Tournaments are usually judged by carefully selected pannels of 3-7 experienced members.

This tournament will be democratically judged for the most part. Each star that readers award you is worth 1 point. There will be one judge for each match. The judge can award an extra 5 points to the member he believes has won. Whoever has the most points wins the match.

So lets hear it: who wants to compete?

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yes I will definitely go for this, it sounds good. It seems like a very good idea since it means it should be a bit more even.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Apex, you take checking your U2Us very very seriously, don't you?

God that was fast.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'm in if there is room

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The list so far:

Apex
Xtrozero

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Oh, and give me topic ideas people. Let's get lots of discussion on topics and make them as interesting and even as possible

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm in Vagabond.Thanks for the invite. This sounds like a lot of fun and a great way for us noob's in the debates to cut our teeth.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
3 of 16 spots are filled (can expand to 24 spots)

Apex
Xtrozero
GAOTU789

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I definitely think a topic like "What Constitutes Free Speech?" or "Are There Limits To Free Speech In A Free Society?" ought to be debated.

Especially given all the recent examples of governmental crackdowns and controversial issues like flag-burning, "hate crimes", censorship , etc. In fact another ATS member posed a question in a thread asking which fellow ATS members should be avoided. Maybe we all need a refresher on free speech.

I know I've never seen Xtrozero shy away from a topic.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Yep,
count me in pls

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Do you want in on the debates also kosmicjack ?

Budski is in. That makes 4, or 5 depending on kosmicjack.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Apex, you take checking your U2Us very very seriously, don't you?

God that was fast.

No, I'd only just got in and had literally just turned on my PC and it said I'd got u2u's, so I looked to see what I had since it annoys me seeing it on there while it's red.

As for subjects for debate, I'm not really sure, but something like "Should Church and State be Separate?". but I don't really know what should be used in these debate contests.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Way too noob for that! Spectator status for me. Ill just cheer and jeer (to myself of course!) from the sidelines.

I was just giving my 2 cents on a topic.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
kosmicjack ... it is for fun ... this is an all 'noobs' tourney. My mind is definitely not well-oiled at the moment, but that is half the fun, isn't it?

I guess I can get back the spirit, I have been distracted with a lot of things and stressed lately, and I need to make a formal apology to someone I forgot was waiting for a reply until I read this

I say count me in.

I think some 'John Lear' style topics are fun. Life in space, moon is a spaceship, and other things that stretch the mind and and questions status quo.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'll join if there are still spots available

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Ill throw in if a spot is open. Let me know.
DWT

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
alright, Id be willing to argue any point if there is still a spot availible.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
If availability allows, count me in.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
While I cant take part due to the fact that I have taken part in a H2H debate in the past I just want to give my thumbs to the idea of a debate tournament for beginnings.

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I've never in my life debated anything but what the heck if there's still room I'll try. What's the worst that can happen?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join