It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few thoughts for those who think engaging Iran militarily would be disastrous for America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I keep seeing comments illuding to some type of mythical devastation for America if it engages Iran (and possible Iranian allies) militarily.

Apparently there are a few people around who still don't quite comprehend the true strength and might of the United States of America. I'm unsure if it comes from actual stupidity and ignorance, or just a refusal to acknowledge the truth because you don't want to flatter a country you hate.

Quite frankly, the U.S. if backed by other nations (which it would be) could annihilate Iran and it's buddies just as easily as they obliterated Iraq's entire former government. If you disagree, you're naive and hardly perceptive of actual reality.

Militarily, technologically and economically the combined might of the United States and it's freedom loving, democracy defending allies are an invincible force that no foe or group of foes on Earth could withstand.

And don't even bother to preach to me about Russia and China potentially working together at some future point to defeat us either, see the preceeding paragraph above.

Going further, say hypothetically that America were to go it alone against Iran without help from friends, it could still simultaneously trample over multiple middle eastern nations at once if it felt the need to do so. Iran and any sympathetic neighbors it could recruit to it's side wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell. America may suffer casualties but the other side will suffer annihilation if it comes down to all out war.

America was already prepared to wage multiple wars simultaneously when the N. Korea controversy was heating up, do you really think this country doesn't know it's current and modern capabilities? America knows it's capabilities and it knows it's limitations as well so to the leaders of all nations, I say underestimate this country at your own peril.

You people talk so much about the "disaster" it would be for America if it decides to engage Iran militarily. You are completely out of touch with reality if you honestly think so. Are you really so incapable of adequately assessing the history of world events over the past 200+ years???

Stop hoping so much for the devastation of America because in actuality what you're praying for is the effective annihilation of Planet Earth. Or do you naively believe that America could dare be brought to it's knees without slamming her enemies face first in the dirt in the process.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
uhhhh......you seem to think that war is free....this war has cost the american people over a trillion dollars.....a trillion dollars that america doesn't have.

And the cost to the american people is now starting to show itself, through the US economy.

[edit on 23-9-2007 by Choronzon]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

America was already prepared to wage multiple wars simultaneously when the N. Korea controversy was heating up, do you really think this country doesn't know it's current and modern capabilities? America knows it's capabilities and it knows it's limitations as well so to the leaders of all nations, I say underestimate this country at your own peril.

yet it cant even win the one its in now, brilliant hypothesis.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Does the governments ability to wage multiple wars justify starting them against the will of the people? That's where propaganda comes in...

-ADHD

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Ok just look how well we destroyed Afghanistan and the Talaiban. oh wait we are still fighting in Afghanistan, against the Talaiban. oh never mind that.

Look how we got bin-laden...oh wait we didn't get him. He doesn't matter anymore anyway.

Look how well we did in Iraq. oh wait we are still fighting in Iraq, plus Iraq has a little civil war going and Al-queida is there now. ok bad example Iraq is a disaster.

Well Look how well we responded to hurricane Katrina, and how we Rebuild New Orleans. oh wait

I bet you believe that war with Iran would be fun like Ann Coulter ?

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee
I keep seeing comments illuding to some type of mythical devastation for America if it engages Iran (and possible Iranian allies) militarily.

Quite frankly, the U.S. if backed by other nations (which it would be) could annihilate Iran and it's buddies just as easily as they obliterated Iraq's entire former government.

Militarily, technologically and economically the combined might of the United States and it's freedom loving, democracy defending allies are an invincible force that no foe or group of foes on Earth could withstand.

[Raises hand from the back of the room]
Um could you tell me which allies are you speaking of? would that be Poland I believe they still have troops in Iraq. The rest of the world populations that elect those democratic governments you speak of, well they don't like us anymore, how far we have fallen.

Or When you mention freedom loving, democracy defending allies. Do you mean our friends in the Middle East. The monarch of Jordan and Saudi Arabia, or the Dictatorship in Pakistan?

I'll give you Isreal they would jump in.

One more thing, winning a war is not blowing up tanks. Unless we don't care what happens with their oil we will have to subdue the population. I will give you this, we will do better then Iraq. We have learned every single thing a government should Not do to win an occupation.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I believe any nuke attack on this country would be devistating, maybe not in defense angle but at least in a humanist angle.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Apparently there are a few people around who still don't quite comprehend the true strength and might of the United States of America. I'm unsure if it comes from actual stupidity and ignorance, or just a refusal to acknowledge the truth because you don't want to flatter a country you hate.

Just as an aside
I wonder if you could point out and list all the wars that the US has won?
Thanks

(Dont include WWII as it was half over and the damage done before you blokes arrived 3 years too late)

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
You guys have to realize some things:

1) Outside of the US, Western Europe, China, Russia etc armed forces are basically little more then an internal dissent suppression force and heavily armed police forces. This includes every nation in Africa and Latin America with the possible exceptions of South Africa, Egypt and Brazil.

2) The Iranian military is made up of brainwashed conscripts who are taught more about ideology then practical military knowledge. In the 1980 - 88 war with Iraq their sole tactic was human wave charges spearheaded with little kids who were forced at gunpoint to run into the minefields. There was one particular battle where the Iraqis lost like 200 troops and the Iranians like 20,000.

3) The world has not seen the full might of the US military since 1945. Vietnam, Iraq, etc were half assed attempts with 1 hand tied behind our backs.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Stop hoping so much for the devastation of America because in actuality what you're praying for is the effective annihilation of Planet Earth.

I actually thought you were serious until I read the above line. Now I know that you are either an intelligent person using satire to make a humorous post or a naive person regurgitating typical statist (read: fascist) ideology as if you just thought of it all by yourself.

Lets play a game called "looking back at history"...

4000 years ago...
"Can anyone perceive of a threat so great to Babylonia that it's power could not be mobilized to utterly destroy it? If Babylonia were ever to fall you would have nothing less than the destruction of all civilization."

2500 years ago...
"There is no might greater than Macedonia. Her power could be mobilized to crush any opposition. Furthermore, if Macedonia was destroyed you would have nothing less than the effective destruction of all peoples."

2000 years ago...
"Is there any threat so great to Rome that her power could not be mobilized to crush it? Besides if Rome was destroyed you would have nothing less than the effective destruction of all earth."

So lets face a few facts:

1. The sheep in the dominant country are always sure their country is unconquerable.
  2. Historically, every state is eventually conquered.
  3. Despite the many claims to the contrary; the world continues.
  4. After a period of adjustment, all of mankind is better-off after the destruction of the state than before.

Jon

[edit on 9.23.2007 by Voxel]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee.

Stop hoping so much for the devastation of America because in actuality what you're praying for is the effective annihilation of Planet Earth.

This quote just shows how flawed your logic is in the rest of the post.

I for one am certainly not hoping for the devastation of America being as how I own and run a business and have a family.

Just because I don't agree with your ideology does not mean I'm "hoping for the devastation of America."

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

(Dont include WWII as it was half over and the damage done before you blokes arrived 3 years too late)

imagine if we hadnt.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fweshcawfee

I have a question; do you think that America can fiscally afford another war in the Middle East?

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jprophet420

It would simply have taken longer. By the time the US arrived the Germans were already beaten in the air, and they just did not have the wherwithall to invade the UK as our navy and air force would have destroyed them.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Chorlton

Do you REALLY think you guys could have beaten Hitler without us? The British Army was in shambles after Dunkirk and was in no shape to beat off Operation Sea Lion (if it actually occurred).

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Yes, check your history, Dunkirk was quite a bit earlier and as stated, we had air superiority plus a superior Navy.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I believe the consensus of most Americans is that we are war weary. If Iraq was 'done' correctly and we stabilized the country in two or three years this might be a different scenario with regards to Iran. I doubt if it was ever a question of 'can we'. I also believe putting every last diplomatic screw and sanction on Iran should be employed before war. The French and EU are of like mind on this. I doubt the Israelis would settle for this though. There are no clear or easy answers. Must we waste another million muslims to keep nuclear material out of the hands of terrorists? I just don't know.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
America may have great military strength, cashflow, etc, but a lot of that becomes a moot point when you are up against IEDs and guerilla warfare, and attacks on your own soil. Air power is great for decimating a countries infrastructure, but to really take control you still need the ground forces. If it came to any larger war than currently being undertaken, I expect a draft would be needed, but do the American public have the stomach for a draft based on current intel and propaganda?

[edit on 23-9-2007 by bobafett]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel

Lets play a game called "looking back at history"...

• After a period of adjustment, all of mankind is better-off after the destruction of the state than before.

Jon

• Well ya this is true in the past.This is the age of nukes and worse man.You cannot expect the same results when anyone can have a weapon that can kill everyone.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 03:55 PM
    link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
    yet it cant even win the one its in now, brilliant hypothesis.

Next time try putting some thought into your comments instead of tossing out something you falsely delude yourself to be a clever and witty one liner. One liners are against the T&S by the way...

And in case you forgot the facts since you think America "can't even win the one it's in now", Iraq's former military and entire government were swiftly and decisively annihilated, despite the fact the American invasion was on unfamiliar ground in a new type of fighting environment that America had never even been in before. Chew on that one Einstein.

Going further, the problems with the post-invasion Iraq war which you and those like you want to put a spin on to make it reflect negatively on the U.S., aren't the U.S.'s fault. We've had to cater to and coddle the flimsy new Iraqi government and military which has been far more of a hindrance to progress there than whatever small measure of actual benefit they've provided.

---

As for the other replies, if I haven't responded to your comment then I found it silly enough to not merit a response.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join