It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina fury at UK bid for Falkland seas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Argentina fury at UK bid for Falkland seas

www.telegraph.co.uk

Argentina has reacted furiously to plans by Britain to lay claim to vast new tracts of potentially oil and gas-rich territories in the seas off the Falklands.

In a move likely to add new heat to the long-running diplomatic dispute, British officials are preparing to submit a bid to the United Nations to prove that thousands of extra square miles of the surrounding ocean floor are geographically part of the islands.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I can’t help but think this is the first act in a series that will trigger off the second Falklands War. Being British I feel this is great news that we may be able to tap into massive areas of natural recourses that will again increase our wealth.

I can also understand were the Argentineans’ are coming from on this one, I would feel cheated if I was them. Let’s just hope the new carrier fleet are on time to deliver some supreme firepower if this kicks off again.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Argentina shouldn't be mad over this.

Falklands were never apart of Argentina, it was orginally French.

btw, you are right about a potential second conflict. This is what the Argentinian President said;

This shows a lack of understanding of the Argentine position, and if the British do not change their approach we shall have to interpret it as aggression."

But it's about time they understand that the people want to stay British, talks of sovereignty will only occur when that position changes. Which Argentina refuses to understand.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Falklands were never apart of Argentina, it was orginally French.

Please end the disinformation and stick to the facts.
You can easily learn the history of the Falklands as all the dates, treaties and details are available for you to read. While the French were the first settlers on the Falklands, they left voluntarily and were even compensated by Spain for their efforts. The French have never made a claim for the Falklands to another country.

The Falklands were indeed part of Argentina as recognised by several Nations Including Britain who not only congratulated Argentina's Independence while specifically recognising Argentina's sovereignty over the Falklands, but they also entered into a Friendship and Trade Agreement which again, specifically mentions Argentinian sovereignty.

The British invaded the islands, removed the Argentinian population by force and many nations including the UN have called for negotiations for an eventual hand back.

Wile I agree that there will not be a hand back any time soon for a variety of factors, this move by the UK to attempt to lay claim to vast areas will only stir up more trouble.  Colonial powers have a long history exploiting both people and resources to no good end.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   

This shows a lack of understanding of the Argentine position, and if the British do not change their approach we shall have to interpret it as aggression."

Why what they gonna do? tickle us to death. You would think they would have learned, from the last falklands war that the uk is not a push over. If they the argies want to escalate this, just send down a nuke sub with ballistic missiles on it. And warn them any argie ships come anywhere near the falklands then we the UK will flatten benos areis.

See if that does not get them to back down.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

And warn them any argie ships come anywhere near the falklands then we the UK will flatten benos areis.

Exactly.

If they keep crying about so called "British occupation", we should annex parts of Argentina and show them what it's really like to live under British rule.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Terapin

can you once again stop trolling threads about the Falklands and reposting the same thing over and over again? Countless members of ATS have proven how inaccurate your facts are and how you are denying the democratic wishes of the people of the Island.

*puts back on ignore*

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Typical violent response. I fail to understand why aggression is the first choice for those who choose not to study the situation. There is no need for violence and I would have thought that after so many British And Argentinian deaths from the first conflict, people would not be in such a hurry to pull out the guns once again.

The UK is trying to lay claim to further areas. They will present this to the UN which has long held that Negotiations for an "eventual" return of the Falklands to Argentina should be undertaken. There are several other nations who take interest in this matter and it is not as simple as the UK saying, We now claim more territory. That is why the British Government is ASKING the UN, not telling the UN.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

We are 'asking them politely.
If there are any problems we will 'tell' them politely.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

It is not only Britain who is seeking mineral rights.
Russia, Denmark, Norway, Canada, USA, France and Brazil are all scrambling for rights at present in both North and South Atlantic oceans.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Terapin, why are you always trying to portray the UK in such a negative light, Argentina are taking the agressive stance, as they did in 1982 and look what happened then, and much as I would hate to see it happen again, if they continue down this line then it will be the same outcome again, countless needless deaths, Argentina with a severe bloody nose and probable regime change at home.
Britain will strengthen it's resolve and will reap the financial rewards

[edit on 23-9-2007 by Freeborn]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Anyways, the Argentian military has ruled out any future conflict because of the damage that was done last time.

But, it's likely another flashpoint will happen, especially in Chavez sticks his nose in.

[edit on 23-9-2007 by infinite]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

If you do not like my response terapin tough. If argentina wants to act agressively towards the UK's claims then let them. If you think the UK will roll over and hand those islands back. Think again. Nomatter what the UN says the UK will simply veto it.

Until those islanders state that they no longer wish to be under British Rule. The argentina better back off. Before it is slapped down once again. And btw I have read the exact same comments from you on other threads with regards to the falklands. So I am not even going to entertain what you have posted on here.

As one ex Prime-Minister said. Those Islands Will Remain British.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It is very funn y how the member who talks so poorly of naked American agression talks so postivly about naked british/uk aggression.

that said, I could see chumpeze tring to get in on this should it coming to a shooting conflict.

That would give US chance to flatten his new toys in support of England/UK.

I bet 2 US battle groups would be more than enough.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
It is very funn y how the member who talks so poorly of naked American agression talks so postivly about naked british/uk aggression.

Funny I didnt know that owning the seas around an island you own was agression....I guess we'll just surrender our share of the north sea to stop that British Imperialism we're conducting in northern europe.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Put the troll on ignore people, he spams the same crap time and time again and has been proven wrong time and time again.

Funnily enough, he only ever turns up on Falklands threads.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
To date, no one has ever produced any evidence to refute the facts as I have outlined them. All of the Data I point to is there for all to see and verify. If anyone has any additional information then please demonstrate it.

I am willing to take a look at quality research and have no problem being corrected. Having done great deal of research on the subject I am open to look at more. Please, if you have any facts then offer them up. If all you have is opinion based on mistruths, then you have empty hands.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
If both countries lay claim to the same territory, who would be the deciding authority? The UN?

Another thing I know very little about this conflict, but I have a question to anyone willing to answer, on the interest of what UK still owns those islands?

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
When two countries have disputes they can take them to the UN or the International Court of Justice. It is based in the Peace Palace in The Hague, Netherlands, sharing the building with the Hague Academy of International Law. The ICJ was established by the UN in 1945. Both Argentina and the UK are members of the UN The UK is a very important member that helped to establish many of the rules and regulations of the UN

The UN position on the Falklands can be determined by looking at the UN Commission on Decolonization. They list the Falklands as a British Colony and have over the years requested that both parties resume negotiations for the eventual hand back of the Islands to Argentina. You can read more at the UN web site if you are so inclined, and if you would like I can point you to specific links.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Why does the UK still own the islands?
Simple, because the people who live on the islands, and have done for generations now, wish to remain as part of the UK, the UK will not turn it's back on it's own.

Any talk of "who used to own the islands" is irrelevant.
We live in the here and now, this is it.
If we were to drag up who used to own what then we would all be at dispute with each other.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Looks to me that there is a continual disagreement between both countries over the islands. IMO, it's a case of whomever has the strongest hand and most perseverence will win.

But, it's all about the oil, though, isn't it?

The English captain John Strong made the first recorded landing in the Falklands in 1690. The islands passed among the French, Spanish, and British until 1820, when the Argentine government proclaimed its sovereignty. In 1833 a British force expelled the few remaining Argentine officials from the island without firing a shot, and in 1841 a British civilian lieutenant-governor was appointed for the Falklands. Colonial status was granted to the Falklands in 1892.

*snip*

But an agreement between Argentina and the United Kingdom in 1995 sought to defuse licensing and sovereignty conflicts that would dampen foreign interest in exploiting the Falkland Islands' potential oil reserves.

www.infoplease.com...

Apart from having a small settlement and penal colony for a short period on the Islands before 1833 (the greater part of this was ejected for 'piracy' by the United States Navy in 1831) Argentina's claim to the Islands is based mainly on her having been a successor to the Spanish Viceroyalty of the River Plate, which also governed most of modern Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia and Chile. In 1833 the British resumed control of the Islands, and from that date they have been in open, continuous, effective and peaceful possession, occupation and administration. The British people who came to live there thereafter became the first permanently established population of the Islands.
www.falklands.gov.fk...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join