It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq Kurds urge Iranian's release

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Iraq Kurds urge Iranian's release

news.bbc.co.uk

The government of the semi-autonomous Kurdish region of northern Iraq has demanded the release of an Iranian arrested by US forces on Thursday.

The US military said the man was a member of the elite Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards and that he was involved in smuggling explosives.

Both the Iraqi Kurds and Tehran said the man was an Iranian trade official in Iraq on the invitation of the Kurds.

US-led forces seized the man in a hotel in the Kurdish city of Sulaimaniya.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.ca
www.guardian.co.uk
www.google.ca

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
U.S. Military Says It Nabbed Iranian Commando In Iraq
Iran Shows Off New Missile, Taunts Israel

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I posted a comment about this in another thread, but I think it might deserve more more attention.

Seems that the weapon's smuggler was a legit diplomat.

Please note that this is coming from the Kurdish people who the alleged smuggled weapons would have been used against. They are also the people who have allegedly been attacked and driven from their homes by Iranians (and Turks) in resent weeks.

If they are saying that this man was a diplomat, not an arms smuggler/insurrectionist, I find it to be a highly credible statement.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
No bites on this yet?

I'd think it would be a fairly important bit of news since this captured Iranians was supposed to be such a big deal for the US Military's claim that Iran is supply weapons to Iraqi Insurgents...

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Well the arms could have been smuggled to the Kurds.
The Kurds appear to be playing smart politics more then anything else . Later on after the coalition has left Iraq the Kurds will look to Iran for support in there quest for an independent state in what is now northern Iraq. Otherwise I cant think why the Kurds would care about an Iranian who has been detained by the US.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Why would they care?
Maybe because the arrest was illegal and on their soil?
Maybe because they don't see Iran as the threat that western media is making them out to be, but rather want to build diplomatic relations?
Maybe because they (like I) are just sick and tired of BS?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Maybe because the arrest was illegal and on their soil?

Hang on a sec since the Kurds are semi-autonomous from there perspective would the rest of Iraq be seen as there own soil in there eyes ?
IMO the Kurds are bidding there time while the rest of Iraq is tearing itself a part they are preparing there plans for a future independent state. The Kurds appear to be the smartest ethnic group in Iraq.

Maybe because they don't see Iran as the threat that western media is making them out to be, but rather want to build diplomatic relations?

Every country in the region has it hands in the pie. The Kurds are just looking after there own political interests I doubt they care about what the western media says about Iran. Even if Iran just takes a neutral stance on the issue of a independent Kurdistan they may gain a strategic advantage. Of course that still leaves Turkey but its not like the Kurds haven't been preparing for trouble.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Hang on a sec since the Kurds are semi-autonomous from there perspective would the rest of Iraq be seen as there own soil in there eyes ?

Did you read the article?

US-led forces seized the man in a hotel in the Kurdish city of Sulaimaniya.

Your point is irrelevant. It occurred on their soil.

The rest of your post was a statement of opinion that cannot be supported by any evidence.
Try to stay on topic.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
My apologizes I was pretty tired when I first read the article.
Anyway I the issue of political power plays in the region for another thread.
Cheers xpert11.

new topics

top topics

join