It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Street survival - going on the run.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I would like to open up this idea for discussion as most of the survival topics I've read into here seem to revolve around a massive event that changes everything.

This one is very much more on an individual level. One hypothetical scenario I can think of would be: most of you money is in bank accounts - ergo you no longer have access to it, you have no ID, you have had to leave your home (bad pep's want to get you). Your current situation is you are literally about to walk out your door with what you can carry and you wont be coming back. From now on your name is Manwell and you know nothing
Your personal transport is a non starter, you don't even have access to your push bike.

What would be your first steps? What would be important?

Bearing in mind I post from the UK and we simply don't have the same access to firearms our friends t'other side of the pond do.

Suggestions? (btw tottally hyperthyroid; not intending to do one just yet
)

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Sometimes the best place to hide is right under their noses. Especially if they don't expect it. Perhaps one could change his appearance enough to pass as one of the local homeless. That way you....er..ummm the hypothetical person in this hypothetical situation could stay close enough to watch for an opportunity to regain some of his assets.

If the homeless is not an option, look around. Who among you do people seem to see but not really if you know what I mean. That way the eventual flight can be better calculated and perhaps better outfitted.

Head gear, glasses, baggy clothes, a demeanor of resignation and a rock in one shoe can make almost anyone unrecognizable. The rock is important because everyone is recognizable by the way they walk. The rock will change that slightly in a way that won't let your subconcious betray you. Shorten your gait and slow down. Nothing more odd than a homeless person in a hurry.

Somehow I don't think that this answered your question but it can buy some time. One can only surmise that this hypothetical person has angered some criminal elements. Good luck.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Ooooo.. like the rock in your shoe idea, that s a very simple thing and you would easily overlook the way you walk - nice one

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
www.skeptictank.org...

Vanishing Point: How to disappear in America without a trace

read up my friend

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Thank you for the info here. It is something that everyone should already have done and be ready for. You never know when a "Do Over" will be needed.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by blahdiblah

Thanks for that link, blahdiblah

Spent the last 45 mins looking over it, some interesting stuff not only for those who want to "disappear" but survivalists in general

Peace

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
What would be your first steps? What would be important? Suggestions?
(btw tottally hyperthyroid; not intending to do one just yet
)

As I'm in the same boat as you, I've been wondering how to get hold of Thyroid supplement if I had to go on the run and not have chance to collect my BoB and spare meds...

...would it be possible to 'bleed' animals such as dairy livestock and milk a cupful of blood to keep THx levels from falling too low?

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Not sure exactly what you mean, I guess you have a medical condition?

I have seen tribes people (on the box) pop an arrow into the side of a cow in order to get blood into a cup. They didn't want to kill the cow, just in times of need they need to get a bit of blood to drink - makes sense, all you need in a mug and very fresh -- i suppose, I'd only go there as a last resort.

Ahh think I get it now - you saw I couldn't be bothered to put hypothetical through the old spell checker
am i right?

[edit on 15/10/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I loved reading Vanishing point, my favorite idea I think if you really really had to lose your identity it would be best to burn everything on you identifying you and get in good with some migrant workers.. Maybe becoming multilingual would help with this.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Having been "on the run" you could call it, so to speak, it really depends on how scared you are of these people, and how badly they want to harm you. Hiding in plain sight is a good plan, but only if you have some street sense about you.

Find yourself an abandoned house if you are in a suburb, and stay there. If you leave during the day for any reason, stay out and stay moving until at least dusk. I have personally squatted in an abandoned house for almost two months straight, but that was in a near perfect spot.

Crowded places can be your best friend or worst enemy in this kind of situation. If you can blend in easily, and don't really have any distinguishing features (obviously if you're over 6'4" or 250lbs, you will stick out) then being in a crowded place during the day isn't a problem. If you can't easily blend in though, life gets difficult.

Learn really fast to keep a keen eye on what's going on around you, or get caught. Period.

If you can buy, borrow, or steal a new outfit or three, do so. Choose clothing that you would never want to wear, so as to not look like "you".
I've been within spitting distance of people who knew me, and police trying to find me, but dressed out of character and most of the time you won't get the second glance.

Trustworthy friends are also key in this situation, being totally on your own is a bitch.

People you can bum a meal or smoke off of at the very least are a godsend when you have no where to go.

This only really applies if you intend to stay in the same area, city, what have you.

[edit on 10-16-2007 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Hypothetical/Hyperthyroid...potato/potahto...

Still, it does raise the question of how to come by meds such as Insulin or other daily pharmaceuticals necessary to stay healthy when on the run and without resorting to robbing a pharmacy; which would possibly be flagged if the authorities were on your tail and aware of any outstanding medical condition.

Perhaps head for a blood-bank and make a withdrawal?

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
If you are on the run there is Two things you need Money and a means to contact people. So means of getting money... start by making a cash "Reserve" take a X amount of money out of your check any week and split it up into different bills.. next if you are on the run you need to contact people.. you cant carry your cell because they will track it so remove the sim card and batt and throw them in the water. next take some of your money and buy prepaid phones. just remember that they will be able to track you if you call a number that is being taped so they are basically one time use then you have to destroy them.

thats all I can tell you I don't want to go into more

[edit on 16-10-2007 by Danman]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Carry gold on your person. I am convinced that street-saavy types are not just wearing gold jewelry and watches just for the looks, it's easily convertible into hard currency and tends to appreciate over time. Furthermore, if you have the gold ON YOU, say in watch or necklace form, anyone who wants to rob you will generally have to incapacitate or kill you to get it. Furthermore, gold can be concealed under clothing, such as under a shirt.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Next time you have to renew photo ID grow long hair and a full beard

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to aquire a gun in Brixton? According to the Clash, that's where they are. ha...

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

I think you'd do much better asking an old grizzled Scot or two up in the Highlands, Orkneys, or Hebrides. GUNS ARE THEIR CULTURE!!!

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
When SHTF, most valuable will be food and medical items. Also valuable: ammo and firearms.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to aquire a gun in Brixton? According to the Clash, that's where they are. ha...

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard in most big cities in the UK, every week 16 year olds shoot up someone, latest is in Sheffield (p.s. don't really think there has been a huge increase - just reported more IMO).

But I would be very weary of the people I start mixing with if I happened to be in such a vulnerable position. I would personally be looking to reduce the amount of problems I had to deal with, for every decision I'd have to mentally tally pro's and con's (so no booze etc for me
) I think a firearm on the streets in the UK for most situations would be a bit of a no no personally.

Better get to know how to use what you have to hand that can easily be passed off as harmless should the need arise - maybe put the heavyset most solid item in the bottom of a small day sack and be prepared to swing at someone's head - be ready to kick scratch and bite if need be.

Y'gotta know when to hold em' know when to fold em' = Ain't no shame in running!!

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Unless you already know the right kind of people, going on the run is very hard. If you're able to live off the land you have a chance of fleeing to somewhere remote, but that's a long shot. To survive in an urban setting you need to know what you're doing - squatting as suggested by another poster, is an excellent idea, but if you're a stranger to the local squatters you've not got much chance - there's a big squatting scene in most cities in the UK, so if they already know you you can blend in easily, but if you don't then you're bound to be noticed. Travellers are an even better bet - I used to know a lot of people who live on traveller sites in old vans, ambulances, even a horse box! Again, if you already know a lot of hippies then it's no probelm to buy a van and move onto a site, but they're bound to be a bit wary of a newcomer in a hurry.

Do you use drugs? If you're in a city and know drug dealers then that's a good start - the more hippyish dealers are bound to know travellers and squatters. Free parties are even better - get to know the local scene and find what you can use. If you spend a lot of time with these kinds of people, disappearing is no problem. If you're clean cut and mainstream, it's almost impossbile if there's any serious amount of heat.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Better get to know how to use what you have to hand that can easily be passed off as harmless should the need arise - maybe put the heavyset most solid item in the bottom of a small day sack and be prepared to swing at someone's head - be ready to kick scratch and bite if need be.

A few innocent-looking but very effective weapons you can carry are:

A bunch of keys on a 2-3ft lanyard that can be used nunchaku-style

Sharpened pencils or biros as stabbing weapons, will pierce most lighweight clothing.

A spare sock filled with stones or coins as a cosh (remember that scene from the movie 'Scum'?)

If you have low-denomination coins, keep them in a front pocket so if confronted by potential muggers, make to empty your pockets and suddenly throw the coins in their faces which is guaranteed to momentarily confuse your assailant/s, and give you vital seconds to either attack or flee

The scariest weapon you could weild wouldn't be a knife or gun, but a hypodemic needle...an assailant would assume that you would be a smackhead and have HIV or something just as nasty and be very wary of getting jabbed

[edit on 18-10-2007 by citizen smith]

new topics

top topics

join