It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Costing $720 Million Each Day, Group Says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

www.washingtonpost.com

The money spent on one day of the Iraq war could buy homes for almost 6,500 families or health care for 423,529 children, or could outfit 1.27 million homes with renewable electricity, according to the American Friends Service Committee, which displayed those statistics on large banners in cities nationwide Thursday and Friday.

The war is costing $720 million a day or $500,000 a minute, according to the group's analysis of the work of Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph E. Stiglitz and Harvard public finance lecturer Linda J. Bilmes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.truthout.org

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This is interesting. $2.40 for every person in the US, every day, going on... ??? endlessly? For the time being, about 1600 days so far.

Think about it folks!

A family of four would have to put away about 10 dollars a day for this unholly purpose of securing profit for the White House croonies.

If you should be so unfortunate, decieved or mislead to believe in the war, let me just throw in that contracts worth 6 b i l l i o n d o l l a r s are now being investigated as fraud. Let's say half of them proves to be true, it's still an awfull lot of money, your money.

What will you do about it?

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing complaints about how your tax dollar is used for illegal immigrants or securety costs of Ahmadinejad visiting, when this massive drainage of your hard earned wealth can go on practically unobjected.

Airing complaints could label you terrorist, but fear keeps you in bay, makes you stalemate, I understand, but ...all the while you lose your homes, your jobs, become impoverished, just for the elite to keep on getting richer.

No, I don't get it... that there's no open rebbellion in the USA.

www.washingtonpost.com

[slightly edited in an attempt to make language more civil]

[edit on 23-9-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
If you wanna know more and discuss the alleged 6 billion dollar fraud of contractors in Iraq, I've started a thread about it here.

BTW, it's hard to understand nobody is replying to this core issue what war is all about, money, your money.

No one wanna comment adout the spending of $500.000 a second of YOUR MONEY ?

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I turn in now. Being +12 hours ahead of EST I always have to when the going gets started.

I will give this one last bump and have nightmares about people who only care about their money if spend on healthcare for ilegals or security of Muslims. I said that.

"Some things are too hot to touch / The human mind can only stand that much" Bob Dylan said this.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I have nothing to say to this other than it is not only sad, its scary. We have so many schools and hospitals in this country that need assistance and we are told there is no money in the budget for these things, yet we can find money to secure oil reserves that were never ours to begin with. I think it clear to see who is benefitting monetarily from this war, and its not the middleclass, or what is left of it.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This is an awakening thread to read. I read that fear keeps us in bay, which may be true. However, I do not fear the government. Perhaps my lack of fear is based solely on not enough knowledge of the bad the government has done. Our society does a great job at broadcasting the government is good. Some things creep through and you see otherwise. Again, not enough evidence through the news to provoke me to be fearful of our government.

I want to be able to help in making a change to all this spending. The problem is that I do not know where to start. I believe generally speaking most americans do not believe we can do anything to change what's going on with government decisions. The best we can do is vote and hope that the candidate we vote for has the publics best interest in mind.

Being in my mid 20's, what can I do, and other americans who generally think the same as I do to help?

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
And now our goverment has Iran in it's foresight, here comes the further devaluation of the american dollar.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

www.washingtonpost.com

The money spent on one day of the Iraq war could buy homes for almost 6,500 families or health care for 423,529 children, or could outfit 1.27 million homes with renewable electricity, according to the American Friends Service Committee, which displayed those statistics on large banners in cities nationwide Thursday and Friday.

The war is costing $720 million a day or $500,000 a minute, according to the group's analysis of the work of Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph E. Stiglitz and Harvard public finance lecturer Linda J. Bilmes.

Related News Links:
www.truthout.org

The only problem I see with this is that if it wasn't spent on the war, it wouldn't be spent on homes, healthcare or renewable energy. It would be spent on some other ridiculous thing in order to obtain votes. When did this stop being a government by the people, for the people?

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Midwest Girl

A real long time ago... Presumably 1913.

You could probably find out a little more about it here..

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Midwest Girl

exactly. I have hinted at this point elsewhere. Yes, idealistically, that money would stop homeless and hungry people from having to go through it in our 'wonderful' country ... but, this money wasn't being spent on it before the war. Now, if we brought ALL our troops home, from all over the world, and put a large chunk of that military budget on the PEOPLE, maybe be a little more Canadian like ... you know, if you teeth hurt, get them fixed, if you have a health problem, get it fixed. Health and dental should not be a profitable corporation ... because your well-being is not something that should be played with so they can extend their profits. This IS the problem with health care in general, doctors become so for the money, not for humanitarian reasons ... scientists aren't encouraged to find cures for everything, but treatments. The more they can milk from your wallet, the better. It isn't lack of health insurance that drives up cost, it is that is costs so much in the first place.

But, people accept this evil, as well as wasting money on war. How about this, since, it was admitted that Iraq was 'mostly about oil' ... then not the u.s.american people paying for it, but, the people who have profited from the oil and arms pay for the war, and the politicians who approved of it ... wouldn't that make more sense? Why should we pay for something, we the people, get no rewards from. But, the complacent and lazy, zoned out on tv, worn out from work, in debt society won't stand up for what is right, but they will sure picket to 'free paris'. I can't wait for that one in the history books, imagine a kid seeing a picture, and thinking, Paris was enslaved/invaded in the early 2000 era? No, that was some spoiled celebrity driving without a license ... she broke a law? yes, and they thought a month in a special cell away from the rest of the prisoners was too tough on her. pathetic.

i wish the rest of the country would wake up, and soon. but it will take something to effect them in the moment, in their face, in their life directly to do so ... curfew will be a good one. people here wouldn't follow the curfew after being struck by 3 hurricanes in a month and no electricity. curfew and restricted travel ... i believe that to be the straw that breaks the glaze over the eyes of the average citizen.

I am not surprised this thread doesn't get more attention. People don't like seeing real stuff, nor discussing it. They would rather go argue about something that can be neither disproved nor proved.

Thank you for trying.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'll bump this one too - it's worthy of discussion.

There's no real scarcity of money, it doesn't have to be a choice between this and that.

Humanity is what is lacking.

There are still 20,000+ children DYING each and every day from preventable hunger, whilst we live in a world with abundant resources and the technology to distribute those resources.

Pretty much same goes for poverty, eduction, health care, etc etc

We just don't care enough as a global population to create any real change.

When humanity eventually awakens from it's long slumber within the mass of humans, we will rise up together, take back control and set things right. Until then, we will continue on as selfish, complaining, little tribal narcisists, not able to see much further than the end of our own food bowl.

Ouch!

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Good morning folks, and thank you for the overwhelming respons (19 flags... whauh, never had that before).

I knew this had to touch a core in the members. Found out just yesterday 75% being American, I also knew it would be repressed, because what can you do about it?

Well, peaceful demostrations like the ones going on right now inside Burma would be a worthy way. But then again you don;t have many monks in America.

I just hope some day the huge demos against the Vietnam war of 69-73 will be back. Imagine 1 mill+ people at the Washington Monument. It's my believe tHat they stopped the Vietnam war.

And I do wanna believe it can be done again.

Get together folks, don't be afraid, take to the streets. Peaceful demos are the answer.

And I pray to they'll be the solution.

Being way to old to be a blue-eyed idealist, I'm well aware it might not be so, but I know the flame of freedom is burning strong in every American, so... DON'T LET YOU REPRESS!

Can we discuss the weapon of protests in the street?

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

a very informative video indeed. also visit this site:
www.freedomtofascism.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Is anyone balancing the checkbooks?

If I remember correctly, the state of the U.S.S.R. seemed less dire than our current state right before it collapsed.

I don't think it's war that's going to destroy this country. It will be the economy that does it. It will just disintegrate. God, I hope not.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Revelmonk

Yeah. Did anyone listed to Coast To Coast AM yesterday? Weren't they talking about putting money into gold and silver because of the declining value of the dollar? Really scary stuff.

Everyone is hinting at an economic collapse, but no one wants to come out and scream it.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
The war may be costing $720million a day, but the money is not
disappearing down a rat hole. It's being transferred from the
US government coffers to men, women, families both in and
outside of the military. It seems that people are for a big
spending government if it helps them in some way and against
big expenditures if their self-interests aren't on the receiving
end.

The world we live in is has literally rivers of money flowing.
The key is not to complain, but to learn the rules for getting
yourself or your special interests into one of the cash flows.
The trillions of dollars aren't going to stop moving through
the military establishment, or any other. Complaining is
futile, but learning how to capitalize on how the game is
played can be very rewarding. This applies to any industry,
not just a government body.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

www.washingtonpost.com

Related News Links:
www.truthout.org

all this money for war what a waist this should be used to help communitys the poor and alot of things it can do whats it doing spending all on war ohh this world the more the rich get rich there more bad it gets

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Health and dental are NOT something we want for free. You get what you pay for. If bright kids in school will make more money doing something else than we loose good future doctors to other professions. Doctors already get the shaft from lawyers and insurance companies as it is. Canada is not a good example, people are dying from simple problems because they must wait for all the other cheap bastards to get the same thing removed, patched, or fixed. No thanks, if I have to pay more for awesome medical care I will. if you cant.....Sucks to be you

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
wow thats 10 million 400 thousand homes that could have been bought outright with that cash in those 1600 days the war has been going....

I seriously doubt the US wouold get back the money from the war that they are spending on it.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
wow thats 10 million 400 thousand homes that could have been bought outright with that cash in those 1600 days the war has been going....

I seriously doubt the US wouold get back the money from the war that they are spending on it.

the country wont but gw bush will get it back in his account i rekon

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join