It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How a non-Neutral ISP could work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
www.boingboing.net...

This is a very disturbing thought.

This notional tiered-pricing graphic -- from a world where there's no Net Neutrality and ISPs are allowed to block various web-sites if the companies that run them don't pay for "priority delivery" -- scared the pants off of me. I think that this is what it's really all about -- not just charging three times for every bit on the Internet (you pay your ISP for your connection, the web-host pays its ISP for its connection, and then it pays again for "carriage" to your ISP), but rather, turning the Internet back into cable TV, where access to anything except MPAA content costs extra and is walled off from the majority of users. Link

I really hope this doesn't happen........

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
All I can think at the moment is "Oh **** no!"
ridiculous! I want my internet 100% non adulterated! I need my fix and I am sure as heck not going to be charged extra just to access a few "premium" sites. This is total crap, man. I hope it doesn't happen. Really really really hope.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yeah, and then they'd lose all their customers to another ISP.

Sorry, but the cat's already out of the bag as far as the Internet goes. I know conspiracy theories are out there, but IMO they're just not going to happen, no way.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

Agree with you there - so long as there are enough ISP's and they don't all start getting into bed with each other we should be cool.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
reply to post by djohnsto77

Agree with you there - so long as there are enough ISP's and they don't all start getting into bed with each other we should be cool.

It's too late for that. All the ISP's are pushing hard for this. The MSM is keeping silent because they want their content locked down again(the MSM hates the 'net as it stand now) and the only people who are making a fuss over it are the geeks and nerds who truly understand what's at stake. Yeah, some of those geeks and nerds are billionaires, but their clout counts for little if they can't even get their message out on TV. If it's not in the news then it's not an issue to most people.

BTW the above is a worst case scenario. Here is a Washington Post article thats a bit more balanced.

www.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 22-9-2007 by sardion2000]

top topics

join