It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Kit.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What are the essentials of any survival kit? I'm talking small enough to carry around while walking.

edit: sp

[edit on 22-9-2007 by TwoPillars]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Walkin in what environment and how far? Not trying to be cute. Just need to know to be able to give you a useful answer.
Ed

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
lets say the midwest or southwest, and for as long as you could potentially be stranded.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
In a survival situation food and shelter are a priority. A quality knife and fire making abilities are probably the most important items to begin with. Add in something to keep water in and to cook in. Go from there to Flesh out your kit.

As mentioned earlier, it all depends on where you are, and what you are trying to survive.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I agree that it depends on the situation. I really wouldn't be looking to make a fire if I were alone on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean.

In the trunk of my car I have a tent, cooking stove with fuel and a BoB with plenty of tools. I have a medical kit and water purifiers.

Depending on the situation I'll take what I need and leave what I don't.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Less is more... Your mind is the most valuable tool. Well, that and a great set of footwear. I'm not talking about expensive hiking boots. You'll want comfortable, agile, and lightweight sneakers. Maybe two pairs with four pairs of socks.

I've spent some time surviving and fleeing... Most of what you are worried about is clean water and warmth. Food isn't so important in the first days and neither are tools. Adrenaline will guide you given you are not burdened. Fortunately, even here in Alaska there are provisions hidden within civilization everywhere.

All that said, I'd have a lighter, some tobacco, my 12ga. mossberg with asst ammo, my trusty benchmade and a backup neckknife, nalgene bottle, and dress depending on season. Alaska is a bit extreme.

I could see having to flee roundup and concentration camps even here. I'd travel at night, resting under natural shelter by day. After finding a suitable clandestine homestead site, I'd begin my new life. Tools are always widely available in cabins or other homesteads.

Burdening yourself will bring about demise in a flee situation.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Ok,,,Anytime I venture out I have at a minimum 1 or 2 Bic type lighters and 2 favorite jack-knives in my pockets and a multi-tool (Leatherman type), LED type mini-mag flashlight (the 2 double A type), a sturdy sheath knife and a full quart size army canteen on my belt. There is a small pouch on the canteen holster for purification tablets in case I need to replenish my water from an un-trusted source. The canteen also rests inside a metal cup/cooker with collapsible handles so it fits inside the holster as well. I'm sure there's an official name for it but I don't know what it is.
Round that out with my very sturdy "twisted stick" staff and those are the basics.

Next I'd look around me and consider what I might expect if something went wrong. Since you said midwest and southwest you'd have varying water possibilities. A sheet of plastic would definitely be in order for catching rain water, making one or more solar stills, and shelter. You could probably manage that in your back pocket(s). A fanny pack would be great for whatever first aid items you feel might be useful, some nylon line for building makeshift shelters or snares, extra batteries for the mini-mag, a compass, a plumbers candle (for difficult conditions for building a fire), and a small compact type mirror and whistle for signaling. I also take a small fishing kit in a 35mm film canister. I use a small wooden thread spool and wrap it with fishing line and stick an assortment of small hooks shank first down the hole in the spool. I place that in the film canister with an assortment of split shot sinkers. The wooden thread spool is for a float. Very light and compact. In the southwest especially make sure you include some table salt. When your body runs out of salt you stop sweating and die.

You could maybe get by with less (I overkill on knives - they're important). OTOH it's always nice to have more. You have to draw your own line on what to carry and it should depend on your skill level and what you're comfortable with. Expect the worst and know what you need to do and you'll be ok. Panic and losing presence of mind causes lots more deaths than lack of equipment.

[edit on 22-9-2007 by SemperParatus]

[edit on 22-9-2007 by SemperParatus]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Do you mean walking as in on a hike or camping trip, or walking as in, "never put it down and always have it on you no matter what?"

new topics

top topics

join