It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mattel, China and Disinfo

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

No really because this will show who is the ones at fault giving china more power to impose whatever penalties they want and if corporate America wants to keep making business with China their goods will have to increase in prices to pay for the extra expenses.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Every article I've read from the very beginning of this recall crap said that the problem stemmed from Mattel and not China. Some people just WANT everything to be a conspiracy, so they warp their minds around reality to make it look like there is one.

We, the US, are getting what we deserve for outsourcing our manufacturing jobs to the cheapest sweat shops that'll take them, and then supporting that outsourcing by selecting the cheapest made piece of junk on the shelf when we go to the store.

You want your kids to be healthy? Don't give them feces for christmas.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This deal shows you what kind of control China has over Mattel's manufacturing and business..Eckert couldn't have stuck his tongue any farther up the Chinese butts over all this..The poor sap got slapped into line by his Chinese bosses..He needs to protect his multi million dollar bonus this year and this shows you how it's being done. Lead painted toys have been coming into this country from China to Mattel for YEARS.

China is the controlling power in this relationship. All you previous posters that have said it's about the bottom line are correct. This is what is being taught in the US MBA programs these days. What they are teaching is that if you can save ONE dollar by sacking the entire US workforce and moving production/development overseas,not only is that the right thing to do,but it is your OBLIGATION to the shareholders to do this. That mindset,my friends is going to be what spells the end for the US manufacturing capacity. No more of the WW2 heydays where you can convert your entiire GNP into building munitions in a National Emergency (try and find a car built between '42 and '45)..

Classic economic warfare. And by the way,I used to work for Mattel.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by EBJet

Thanks for the input on this issue, China is really controlling everything, the war of deceptions is what is been wagged here.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Anyone who says morality has no place in capitalism clearly doesn't have good business sense.

Which must explain why the unethical behaviour of global corporations have made them so poor, right? Explain the logic please...

Unethical behavior hurts profits and the experiences of Enron, Worldcom, and many now bankrupt or nearly bankrupt mortgage lenders can serve as proof of that.

Unethical behaviour can also make one wealthy beyond comprehension in a system where your crimes are covered by a criminal state system that will not only alter laws to favour your business practices but bail you out , by using taxpayer funds, when you get caught out or simply steal too much too fast.

Although it is true that some corporations have gotten ahead through unethical behavior, it is very foolish for anybody to base their business model on immoral practices.

It should be but clearly it's the way to go if you wish to compete in modern capitalistic markets. Fair play does not work if your the only one doing so.

The chances are high that the customers will punish you if you do.

As if the customers will likely ever know about your practices and sweat shop below living wage hell holes in so many 'developing' ( over exploited really) countries.

Well, I think it could well be the case of a few bad apples spoiling the whole bunch.

I know it's nice to believe that but that's just not what the record shows so why are you still buying that particular line?

Think about it: the vast majority of consumer products are safe when used properly.

And the evidence for that is where exactly?

Though, I will agree that there are a lot of firms out there going unpunished, which is why we need to be vigilant and hold everyone accountable.

Ideally....

Stellar

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Do you think we are being lead astray and not told the whole truth about problem products coming from China?

I would have to say no. As I see it all they did was accept more of the responsibility since most of the recalls were a result of poor/bad designing.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

reply to post by Beachcoma

Anyone who says morality has no place in capitalism clearly doesn't have good business sense.

They are not moral for resons of conscience in your arguement they are moral for reasons of proffit. The thing is they usually solve this not by being moral, but by pretending to be moral with a good PR firm. If they have to be moral at cost of proffit they will under one condition.

Moral people force them to be that way. We stop putting up with their actions and take away their all driving motive, money.

There is a lesson here.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Im going to say the same thing I said in a similar thread about this stuff. Where's the quality control at the US companies? I wouldnt import several thousands of pounds of goods without making sure they're in tip top shape, especially food. US companies are cutting costs and people are raising questions of China... hrmm... Seems like we set ourselves up for failure by being cheap.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Redge777

But are not all people moral only out of self-interest?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Redge777

But are not all people moral only out of self-interest?

'you' is not you personally but is any person, I should have use if a person, not if you.

If you are moral to feel better about yourself, yes.
If you are moral out of fear of hell, from fear of God, yes
If you are moral out of fear of punishment, yes
If you are moral for peer or financial gain, yes

If you are moral just because it is the only thing that makes sence to do, and sometimes does not make you feel better, and does not protect you from power, and you know that God will never abandon you, and do not really worry about what others think or give you, no.

You volunteer to help some people down and out, it does not make you feel better since now you are feeling down as you empathise with sorrow. You gain no personal better feelings. It actually sucks to consider the suffering we may be able to help with, we then must acknowledge its existance and our compliance in it.

You step up against a wrong, and get your hat handed to you. No gain, wife is ticked off, things just got really complicated, no gain. Yet you could no longer do what the boss told you to do. It sucks. but you just do what you must.

Imagine a person with broken leg on side of the road, you stop to help, the whole time thinking this sucks, I had plans, just got blood on my car. And dang it she is being really obnoxious. But your empathy, not your personal feelings pushes you forward as you drive to hospital.

If afterwards you gloat of self importance, you only need to think of all the times you 'walked on by' to know you aint that great and you move on the next thought in your mind. Hopefully a puppy runs by, or a family is having a picknic playing baseball, something that does help self interest and the warm fuzzy's of the good stuff.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Redge777]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join