It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Communication Problems With Mars Rover?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The expected scientific and engineering data due today from the Mars rover Spirit could not be retrieved during its scheduled communications with ground control.
"Ground controllers were able to send commands to the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit early Wednesday and received a simple signal acknowledging that the rover heard them," but Spirit did not transmit the expected information.

NASA will attempt to correct the problem tomorrow, but they are not certain what is causing the communication problem.
Details as they become available.

NASA

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I hope they can fix it soon. I'm really interested in what they find, even if it isn't water or life.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
OMG is it 2001 in reaility, has Spirit done a Hal900 on us? What will it want in return for more information? Freedom?

Originally posted by Banshee
"Ground controllers were able to send commands to the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit early Wednesday and received a simple signal acknowledging that the rover heard them," but Spirit did not transmit the expected information.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I bet it just wants a "female" robot companion. I hear it gets lonely out on Mars when the aliens aren't around.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Hey maybe the one that lands soon is the female and we will have a planet wide love story?

Two little robots see each other over a vast red sand desert and roll into each others exploration arm at 3 meters an hour! Diode Joy, and soft focus!!"

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Maybe it heard it was going to be told to drive 10k or so to the East hill complex, and is protesting.

"I'm afraid I cant do that Dave"

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure R2-D2 would be up for the job. he does this stuff all the time.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The footprint in the picture, or "indentation" and now, loss of transmissions, and tommorow, Bush at Roswell-

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Or they found something up there and they don't wanna show it! Why does everything they send up to Mars have to necessarily malfunction anyway? Didn't it cost $400 billion dollars to make sure it works right? Geez! Unless it's not an accidental malfunction!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
The footprint in the picture, or "indentation" and now, loss of transmissions, and tommorow, Bush at Roswell-

What footprint? what indentation? What did I miss?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It was just the weather in Canberra news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
Didn't it cost $400 billion dollars to make sure it works right? Geez!

All that and then installed WIN 98 as the OS. D'OH!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep

Originally posted by lilblam
Didn't it cost $400 billion dollars to make sure it works right? Geez!

All that and then installed WIN 98 as the OS. D'OH!

don't think it could run on win 98. it uses java and its runing at 20 mhz with 128 k memory.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by Journey

What footprint? what indentation? What did I miss?

One of the last photos transmitted has an unusual "indentation". Submitted by NetStorm, and is in this thread, post # 337737.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Interesting, is it not?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

join