It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans giving up friends, sex for Web life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Americans giving up friends, sex for Web life

www.reuters.com

A survey asked 1,011 American adults how long they would feel OK without going on the Web, to which 15 percent said a just a day or less, 21 percent said a couple of days and another 19 percent said a few days.

Only a fifth of those who took part in an online survey conducted by advertising agency JWT between Sept 7 and 11 said they could go for a week.

"People told us how anxious, isolated and bored they felt when they are forced off line," said Ann Mack, director of trend spotting at JWT, wh
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
personally, I'm addicted to information. I don't have a short attention span... but i only find very few obscure things interesting, and only at certain times. I've read all the books I own, and I haven't had a library card for at least a decade. the computer / internet is one of the only things that can let me jump between modes of creativity in an easy, intuitive way.

If you take away the internet, I'll still be ok with just a computer. If you take the computer away, I will immediately fill the void with more books, tv and perhaps sleep.

I guess you could call it addiction.. but most americans use, or are at least affected in a huge way by networked computers, every single day of their lives. Shoot.. take the internet and computers away, and I believe complete anarchy would ensue. That's what Y2K was all about... so that is a symptom of something way bigger than a simple addiction.

It's like saying we're addicted to our spinal cord at this point (or have I just been conditioned to think that?)

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-9-2007 by scientist]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Oh..Damn..I'm so addicted...Can't go more than a few hours without being here...Last thing before I go to bed...and first thing when I get up....:shk:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I have to agree with what AD said, I'm too hooked to this site , can't get enough of ATS !!

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by steve-o

If I get to the point where I don't go to bed..eat..or shower...then i'll worry...until then..YOU CAN"T GET RID OF ME..HA HA HA

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
It's just another step in our evolution with our machines.

If it wasn't for the internet, I'd have no social life at all.

And of course ATS rules my life. :shk:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

You know it MM.Same here.I could think of worse sites and much worse addictions.At least I learn here...and have friends here.Life could be worse.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Yeah. I could still be with my husband. *shiver*

With gas prices what they are, and having two small kids, having a social outlet on the internet is really important to me.

When I have a spare five minutes I can log in and do a quick read & post, then back to business.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
If the www. went down I would die in my chair staring at a blank screen.

Nah, that's not true, I would go out side and walk around and look at things and talk to people and go out to dinner with friends, take in a movie or concert, drive down to Mexico and get drunk, play my bass, guitar, harp, sax, go out on a date, life.

still the www. is a big part of my day.

I love you guys!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
LOL, you know it's true...

When we had a power failure here early in this past Spring, I didn't know what to do, so I went and took a nap.

Of course, I joke a little, but it was like being in a box with the windows closed. Even if you're somewhat isolated as to geography or circumstance, if you have your little 'window on the world' i.e. the 'Net, then you feel 'connected'.

I wonder if it might be a good exercise in discipline to go a few days or even a week once a year without the 'net....

Nah.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Yeehee !!! I'm gonna be here for the rest of my life, if this site remains on that long, or if it gets owned by the Illuminati I'll change my mind.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
just remember.. there is a whole generation that is with us that will never know what it's like to live without the web. i'm old enough to remember... heck i remember when the first CD player came out!.. lol

but kids no-a-days cant survive without cell's,web myspace...sad really...

apc

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I may not have many friends because, well, I hate people. But I can't go without sex for a week. That would just be madness. MADNESS!

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I'm visiting a girl I know and she works almost all day.. I'm on ATS.com so much it's worrying me. Communities like these are just really ****** cool. You have everyone with a different opinion and take on every issue imaginable. I also like the quality of it's member and moderators. I know there's a lot of alien talk and what have you but like me or not, I really respect the majority of your posts.

It's like one huge disgruntled/disfunctional family with the weird cousins talking about lizard people.. Good, clean, fun.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Oh, and about the sex thing.. Would you guys get off for an hour or two and take it to them. Ever seen Cheaters?

new topics

top topics

join