It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest lie ever told - The Bible

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoknow
God did not create religion ego of man did how hard is it to see that and also Any religion founded on the concept that females are not equal to males violates Gods Universal Law this we violate only ourselves or anything else for that matter but Nature or God does not get angry or punish us only "we" humans do. p.s this is my first post

First post hi and welcome to ATS, get ya tinfoil hat out and post away!!

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I was going to stay out of this one, but here goes. You really can have proof of God, because you really can knowHim. Jesus said, "If you seek Me, you will find Me." Sorry to give you a quote on that one, but that is what He said, and it is quite true. The reason there seems to be a disparity in the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament is in the way Jesus came and presented Himself to mankind. God has been dealing with the sin factor in mankind throughout history. In the Old Testament, the people had to offer up an unblemished lamb for their sins every year. This sacrafice of a lamb did not erase that individual's sin, it simply rolled their sin forward to the next year. The sacrifice of a lamb, goat, or even our own blood could not erase our (mankind's) sin. If the God of the Old Testament seems harsh and uncompromising, it is because we in our fallen state of imperfectness, do not understand "His Holiness." i.e. perfect purity, perfect love, perfect justice, perfect mercy, etc. The Lord came in the New Testament as a "sacrificial lamb" to erase our sins once and for all, since His purity was the only purity that would blot out our sins completely. The best we can do is to receive the work He did for us, and try to keep His commandments. As for the rest of it, stop wrestling with all of it and let Him guide you. After all, He is alive.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

No i am not alking about these 4 books i'm talking about the Bible, we can do a seperate book review later 1 at a time if u like ..

These four topics are mentioned in the Bible and are not separate books.
What is your opinion?

[edit on 23-9-2007 by Siren]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Siren

Well then you know what i think of the these, a collection of stories, fables, Hints on how to live your lives. That has been adopted by a certain mass group as fact. with very little real evidence.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I totally, fully, completely agree with Quantum Squirrel. I have studied the bible, and I used to go to church all the time. But I no longer believe in the bible. I think it is indeed a very epic, and kriptic story that contains alot of enlightened ideas and historical accounts. But the bible was written by men, for men, and although it is very clever and really makes you think. It has historically been used for both good and evil deeds.

I am a practicing buddhist, and I think that the bible is outdated, and needs a serious re-working to make it valid for tommorrows generation. It is by no means perfect, and by no means is the only path to liberation. I believe that the three poisons cause all of our suffering, and I believe that ignorance is the greatest of these poisons. To me it is self-evident. All truths should be self-evident, and i see no proof at all that jesus was the messiah, besides what was written in a book hundreds of years after his death. And it is true that there were other messiah-like figures around at that time period, and many of them were also crucified.

To all the christians: I dont mean to knock your faith, but i just think its very ignorant to base all your faith in one book. I have read the bible, koran, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Tao-Te ching among others, and i think that perhaps all these are guides for living a good life and finding happiness. But no one is greater than another. One enlightened mind is not greater than another enlightened mind. All the paths lead to the same destination. Religion should be modified around scientific discoveries, and one wagon wheel at the bottom of the Red sea doesnt proove squat. I found a car at the bottom of the ocean does that mean there was a road there at one time??

Keep an open inquiring mind, and Dont preach your faith, LIVE your faith.
Peace.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Oh and one more thing.

Taking quotes from the bible to proove the bible is right is like a Schitzophrenic person saying that he is right because the voice in HIS head says he's right.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by befoiled

Originally posted by Kenpachi
Anyone who wants proof of good just sign up for the military, when on the battlefield and your arm, leg or whatever gets blown clear off the first thing you're likely to scream is Oh God!?

This constitutes proof?

Perhaps the existence of God is already printed in the back of your mind and is only known at your darkest hour so it could be. Theres alot no one knows about the human mind.

Im not saying I subscribe whole heartedly to the Christian tradition but to say there is no god without proof is arrogant and ignorant.

There is no proof that the tooth fairy exists, therefore there is no tooth fairy. How is that arrogant or ignorant?

Because the Earth and Universe couldnt have happened completely by accident and comparing god to the tooth fairy is just something people do to ruffle feathers. Also there is concrete proof there is no tooth fairy there is none for the disproving of God.

...but that's just my two cents on the God debunkers.

Great. Now what about the topic of this thread...the Bible?

My thoughts are perfectly on topic as the bible and god go hand in hand along with any other holy book. Alot of people seem to pick at the bible. Where's the threads debunking the Koran or other religious books?

[edit on 23-9-2007 by Kenpachi]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

how many of you are actually alive today because of the advancement of human understanding of the world around them (science, technology and education)

Yeah, people have become guinea pigs under the microscope and science (falsely so called) is there to make the altered DNA work and people not know what is happening to them which is probably why independent thought is dwindling.

Why must we behave humanely to other beings only in the hopes of going to heaven and out of fear of going to hell?

This is one I have wrestled with and if I gave up my beliefs then I would be free to seek vengeance upon all those who have wronged me and to rendered unto them the bitter pill they have shoved down my throat.

clever way to govern the peoples' behaviour.

First, I think, people should be able to govern themselves, but, it seems most people fall short of this task, or at least need some guidance.

Secondly, some of those, who govern, have no right to, for they do not abide by any law, but, want others to be submissive to the devils doctrine.

Your parents taught you what they knew. Would you throw out everything they taught you if you found one fault?, two faults??? If you threw out everything, then your whole existence would be a lie.

Who is truly free? I think some of the ideas presented here are a mechanism for the N.W.O to predetermine what to expect when they try to outlaw religion. It keeps coming up in different forms.

Energy can't be destroyed only transferred so both scenarios are possible.

Although, I may agree, I would like to know the basis for your belief?

1. How do you know, what proof do you have?
2. Is this your idea or did someone tell you this?

with very little real evidence.

Living right will provide the evidence.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gravytrain

If you do not agree, what better suggestion can You offer the world?
... a nano chip, a gogue, a worm, a band (stringy sputum), a bug in the ear, nose or throat?

What have you contributed to make this world better?

Jesus came to set the captives free. If you are not a captive, why all the fuss? Oh, unless you are the overseer, then it would be your job to make more confusion (con fused with natural mind).

Those that leave the class after the first 5 minutes will never understand what the class is about.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

My thoughts are perfectly on topic as the bible and god go hand in hand along with any other holy book. Alot of people seem to pick at the bible. Where's the threads debunking the Koran or other religious books?

So you're saying God can't exist without these so-called holy books? Doesn't say much for your deity.

I don't pick on the Bible. I scrutinize it like I would any other book, albeit perhaps more so given the outrageous claims both contained within and from its fanatical supporters. Supporters, incidentally, who have failed to mount even a token defense on this thread as to its legitimacy.

I can't answer why there isn't an active Q'uran debunking thread right now, but I suspect its defenders would respond as you and others have.

The case against the Bible as the unerring word of God is overwhelming. That is, if we're talking about an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent God. I'm rooting for you though.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Siren

What better suggestion can I offer the world? Stop arguing over the valitity of an ancient book, and use your own common sense and knowledge. Stop bickering and start doing. Live your faith, dont preach your faith. Meditate often. Conquor your own self first and foremost, and then help others. Be compassionate, Love others as yourself, and love yourself as others. When you are alone act as though you are in company, and when your with company act as if you are alone.

What have I contributed to make this world better? I volunteer some of my time at the local First Baptist Church. And I have helped several of my friends out of the hell of chemical addiction- after I escaped that hell myself.

Jesus came to 'die for our sins' and show us how to live compassionately. Where does it say that he came to free the captives?

Those who sit in class all day every day forget there's a world outside the classroom.

Be Mindfull. Peace.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by befoiled

So you're saying God can't exist without these so-called holy books? Doesn't say much for your deity.

I don't pick on the Bible. I scrutinize it like I would any other book, albeit perhaps more so given the outrageous claims both contained within and from its fanatical supporters. Supporters, incidentally, who have failed to mount even a token defense on this thread as to its legitimacy.

I can't answer why there isn't an active Q'uran debunking thread right now, but I suspect its defenders would respond as you and others have.

The case against the Bible as the unerring word of God is overwhelming. That is, if we're talking about an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent God. I'm rooting for you though.

Im not saying God cannot exist without holy texts at all. I just find it odd that most people feel the need to attack the Bible, personally I believe in a god to which I cannot nor do I try to understand. I would say most of the bible is probably just compilations of oral traditions before written text.

The bible is a good book with alot of good to say, although I wouldnt take it word for word as truth. Personally I think people should just accept its a good book with plenty of good ideas and like any book it can be manipulated for your own ends. Hence the atrocities commited by the catholic church, although you cant blame a book for distorting God, that was 100% human.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Religion, what's it good for?

The Catholic church, rampant with child molesters who in turn are then protected by the same church and it's administration so that they never face justice and in cases are moved to other places where it's safer for them to offend.

Very 'godly', 'thou shall not offend.....and get caught....'

A little off topic but don't you just love those people who set themselves up in a religious settlement, the first order of the day is to create a rule where you can have as many wives as they like, they can be any age or they go the whole hog and say that the 'leader' can sleep with whoever.

Beats doing mundane things like teaching the kids, do 'good' thing etc....Of course, done in the name of their 'religion'..

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Mclane]

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Mclane]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon
Anyways, you were wrong about the Jesus part. The Roman historian you mention that talked about Jesus a decade later, the works of his that mention Jesus have been proven to be forgeries. The first mentionings of Jesus aren't until 200 years after his death. There are no mentionings of any of the apostles during their lifetimes either. Censored parts of the Bible even show that Jesus, like Muhammed, was a pedophile.

[edit on 9/23/07 by RedDragon]

Are you stating that The bible can't be changed? It must have been altered 10 times by now. Going to say the same thing about the constitution?

And will ANYONE say ANYTHING on the fact that heretical churches were founded a full 100 years before the Roman one????

52BC was one of them. They were an established Christian religious church, preaching and converting others, long before any Roman ever heard of Jesus.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Gorman91]

Oh yea. Jesus? A pedophile? Where does it say that?

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whirlwind

god doest lie , his book doesnt lie, ........... but reality does. and so did big corporate execs and people who have money and power. and that is was forms our reality.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
THe bible is like a history book, but I'm pretty sure part of it was change to benefit the elite.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
When early Christianity expanded to 'Pagan' lands one of the first things they did was to build Churches on the Pagan sites, and then set about 'converting' the 'non-believers'.
(Only after the area had been declared 'safe' by the occupying army!)
Then the 'ten commandments' were thrust in front of the non-believers, telling them that 'These were the words of God'.

The first six commandments were NOT about a moral code!
In fact, according to 'Exodus 20:2-17' (if one paragraphs them) there were 16 commandments! The same as Deuteronomy 5:6-21

It is this part of the book that gets me thinking it was written as a tool to help subjugate the populace, and perhaps give justfication for rounding up witches, Druids etc. (By saying they doing the work of the Lord according to the commandments!)

My two penneth!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
THE BIBLE SUCKS!!! I know I'm not going to add any real subtance to this debate, but I must vent a little. I am totally fed up with expressing my views on Christian culture. I am fed up scrutinizing the bible. The bible makes zero sense as far as I'm concerned. I do not need any book to tell me how to live, my conscience and common sense will do so for me.

Argueing a point to a drunk man is wasting time. Religion is like that. Why point out your view if most people won't even acknowledge it...or try to understand it. Most religious people are like that. Religion proves a statisical point to me. If you brain wash children...and continue to do so for the rest of their lives...you will control most of them. Which basically sums of the fact that most people are stupid. Some may say I am disrespecting other members' views & religious beliefs. But...oh well. As far as they are concerned, I'm on my way to hell anyway.

Hell...here I come!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
ohhhh, now I get it. The universe, and everything in it just happened. For no apparent reason from NOTHING, it just happened to exist.

Think about it.
Proven Fact, the universe is expanding. Which means that at one point in time the universe didn't even exist. Go reverse in time and the universe gets smaller, and smaller, and smaller until what? Yeah, it didn't exist. What was before the universe? It hasn't always been.
Think about it.

Now go to this picture of space and tell me where it ALL came from, if there is no Creator.

hubblesite.org...

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havalon
When early Christianity expanded to 'Pagan' lands one of the first things they did was to build Churches on the Pagan sites, and then set about 'converting' the 'non-believers'.
(Only after the area had been declared 'safe' by the occupying army!)
Then the 'ten commandments' were thrust in front of the non-believers, telling them that 'These were the words of God'.
\

What army? Early Christians were hated by all. The only army would be the one sent to kill them. After the Romans corrupted it for 1000 years, then that happened.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join