It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new British empire? UK plans to annex south Atlantic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   

The new British empire? UK plans to annex south Atlantic

www.guardian.co.uk

Britain is preparing territorial claims on tens of thousands of square miles of the Atlantic Ocean floor around the Falklands, Ascension Island and Rockall in the hope of annexing potentially lucrative gas, mineral and oil fields, the Guardian has learned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Well if the Russians can do it then so can we?

I fear this might stir up some international agro though ??

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
hahaha! Like anything that may be found there of value will benefit the British people

The government - any government - would just sell off the mining rights to the big corporate boys to swell the coffers while expecting the British people to fight to defend that territory if disputed.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Ya know... it strikes me that a good way to go about things would be to propose a joint venture with Argentina and Valenzuela. Ya know... contribute to the world energy base while pushing forward good relations with estranged nations, rather than continuing confrontational attitudes.

A partnership between those 3 nations would bound be be rocky, be we could rest assured that they'd keep each other honest. Maybe.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BitRaiser

A nice thought Bit, I think I like the way you see the world in a more peacefull state. Being some what synical myself I don't really see things happening that way.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
We offered to share any oil/gas revenue with Argentina surrounding the Falklands Island. They said no, so the South American country shouldn't start having a hissy fit over this.

Here is information about Rockall.

Ascension Island is already a British overseas territory, dependency of Saint Helena (another British overseas territory).

I wouldn't call this the "new British empire", it's not like we about about to annex a country.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I didn't say I could see it happening...
I was just tossing it out as an example of the kind of things we could do if the species was just a little more rational.

That and I wanted to see if anyone would flame me for daring to propose working together rather than hostile confrontations.

[edit on 22-9-2007 by BitRaiser]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

how do you come to that conclusion ??????????

please review govt handling of the licencing and revenues from North sea and Morcambe bay strikes - which have been of fantastic benefit to the UK population and ecconomy

tax revenues have to be generated some how - if the govt did not plough the huge revenues from oil and gas opeatations straigh back into the eccomomy to balance the budget , what do you suppose the current rate of income tax and other tarriffs would be ???

so how do you conclude that licences would be sold off to corporate sharks , with zero benefit going to the UK population , when the handling of similar windfalls has been almost exactly the oposite

are you talking about HMG , or some fictional government you dreamt up to act as your strawman

[edit on 22-9-2007 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
It's quite a typical and hilarious British thing this,

The Russians and Canadians are trying to lay claim to the North Pole and us Brits are trying annex large parts of the Atlantic ocean

[edit on 22-9-2007 by infinite]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Great idea. Should have done it years ago. We ought to be charging all them pesky foreigners for sailing on our ocean as well

Now all we need is a navy to patrol it .....

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

With new oil and mineral fields become much more economically (not to mention tactically) important, it's only a matter of time before people start squabbling over more and more un-claimed territory.

At least Brittan is making a move on areas that can go relatively un-contested.
Us Canucks have to worry about a possible grudge match with Russia that we simply cannot win. Not with out military in the state it currently is and not with Harper backing out of plans that could have given us equipment to enforce out legal claims.

But that's a complex and entirely different story...

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
At least Brittan is making a move on areas that can go relatively un-contested.

Err...Rockall is contested by many in Europe.

South America isn't going to like us increasing territory in the South Atlantic, but oh well...they will have to live with it

We also have territory (not confirmed by the UN) in Antarctica, we should claim the lot to upset the French (who claim parts too)

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I cant really see any co-operation between Argentina and the UK over this other than licensing the Argentinians to actually get the oil out but I think that act could be very dangerous too.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
I cant really see any co-operation between Argentina and the UK over this other than licensing the Argentinians to actually get the oil out but I think that act could be very dangerous too.

I don't think the government is too bothered really, Argentina wouldn't risk another war with the United Kingdom because of the political and national pride damage was too much for them.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The US should Annex the Pacific between our Islands and Mainland

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxe
The US should Annex the Pacific between our Islands and Mainland

Oh, are we now playing "what do you want to annex?"

I claim Russia!

new topics

top topics