It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela still alive after embarrassing Bush remark

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Mandela still alive after embarrassing Bush remark

news.yahoo.com

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Nelson Mandela is still very much alive despite an embarrassing gaffe by U.S. President George W. Bush, who alluded to the former South African leader's death in an attempt to explain sectarian violence in Iraq.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-9-2007 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

[edit on 23-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

"I heard somebody say, Where's Mandela?' Well, Mandela's dead because Saddam Hussein killed all the Mandelas," Bush, who has a reputation for verbal faux pas, said in a press conference in Washington on Thursday.

Ladies and Gentlemen the president of the unitied states of america.

AAC

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

You mean he's not dead? well i guess he will be soon now...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Sorry to say this but I thought he was death, my lord this is bad, poor Mandela dying without having a televised event around the world.

Sorry Mandela.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Bush thought the English channel was a British TV station.

The man is a vapid fool who is causing a great deal of harm with his self righteous ignorance.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Is that even a verbal error or does he just not know what he is talking about..

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nickh

You know I tried to figure that out but either way... :shk:

AAC

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I can't believe that the media are so stupid as to not know what that statement meant.

They call Bush dumb, but they are so concrete that it defies belief.

"I heard somebody say, Where's Mandela?' Well, Mandela's dead because Saddam Hussein killed all the Mandelas," Bush, who has a reputation for verbal faux pas, said in a press conference in Washington on Thursday.

news.yahoo.com...

First of all, what does Mandela have to do with Iraq?

The short answer is nothing.

Bush says that he's heard people asking where's Mandela? Well, I would interpret that as people asking where is Iraq's Mandela, which is to say, the indiginous unifier of the Iraqi people around whom the Iraqi people may gather to form a free and sovereign nation.

Bush's observation is that in Iraq there are no Mandelas because Saddam with his brutal regime killed all those who might emerge to challenge his authority.

Is that so hard to understand?

It's pretty bad when a man is called stupid by the media because the media are too stupid to abstract a meaning from a metaphor.

Reuters. What a bunch of dolts.

[edit on 2007/9/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
this is the first time i actually laughed out loud after reading something in the news, in a very long time

Nelson Mandela is still very much alive despite an embarrassing gaffe by U.S. President George W. Bush, who alluded to the former South African leader's death in an attempt to explain sectarian violence in Iraq. ?

I added the question mark...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

You know I thought that it was so obvious that your post shouldn't be needed but...we aren't dealing with mental giants here at ATS, everyone just jumps on the hate America nad Bush bandwagon. you get a star because unlike me, you were not too lazy to correct these ignorant rednecks. thank you.*yawn*

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   

BINGO!!

I watched the presser and I had no problem understanding what the President was saying in reference to Saddam killing all the Mandellas who were in Iraq.

BTW josephus, I am a redneck!!!

ED:redneck spelling

[edit on 2007/9/21 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by josephus maximus

This thread had me laughing until I got to your point and re read gradys post -- then ACTUALLY went to read the article.

Shame on me for almost joining the hype.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

It just so happens that the Media story gave no backing to the original context of the statement. After reading other sources the biased media approach became obvious. But do you really need any more proof of Bush Bloopers?

And btw, your self-righteous approach on ATS is frowned upon even by the people you think are agreeing with you. Memebers attitude here on ATS is what makes ATS great. Stop bringing down the curve with your diatribe.

Well done for finding the accurate perspective Grady.

AAC

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Well done for finding the accurate perspective Grady.

Thanks, but really I didn't do anything but consider the statement. The truth was there all along.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

uhm...i'm sorry?
(was it the redneck part? because that was a joke)

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I am a redneck and I take offense.

Pay close attention to his delivery. I don't even think Bush comprehended the speech he barely memorized.

AAC

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Pay close attention to his delivery. I don't even think Bush comprehended the speech he barely memorized.

I'm all for bashing Bush - out of principle I don't like him, sue me.

But........ I wouldn't say he "barely memorised" his speech, this seems to me to be a bit of ad libbing, actually quite a good point put in an odd but catching way.

Would you want everything this dude says to be written down and agreed on by a bunch of overpaid prats any way? IMO move along nothing interesting blah da blah

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by josephus maximus

You know I thought that it was so obvious that your post shouldn't be needed but

No you didn't, you just wish you had thought of it and are embarrassed that you didn't catch it. That would be a mental giant calling you out.

...we aren't dealing with mental giants here at ATS

I disagree.

you get a star because unlike me, you were not too lazy to correct these ignorant rednecks. thank you.*yawn*

Once again, trying to cover your mistakes. :shk: Please do all of us ignorant rednecks a favor and leave our site. I for one certainly won't miss your self-righteous, arrogant attitude. See ya.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

i hate to get into a ..uhm...conversation with you because you have a hammer and i don't but i must point out my previous post where i made a joke about mandella being taken out now that Bushy found out he was in fact alive.

had i, like you, believed that Bushy really thought mandella was dead i would have completely skipped this thread because I knew the Bush bashing was going to be extreme and it usually makes me lose my temper and i say things i regret. but thank you for posting. cheers

[edit on 21-9-2007 by josephus maximus]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Just a quick note...

A certain member won't be participating in this thread anymore... This has nothing to do with what they have posted here, but with past administrative issues.

Continue on please.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join