It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civilization...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
If civilization failed, and technology crumbled, I would personally do everything in my power to keep it from coming back the same as it was. I would try to keep things tribal, sort of like green anarchy. If anything really hit the fan I would try to lose the bonds of technology completely from my methods of survival and do things as primitively as
possible (self preservation comes first).

Would you guys agree with me on this or would you try to rebuild things into the mega-destructive empire we have now?

I've been reading alot about green anarchy, and anarcho-primitivism lately and I would suggest anyone who hasn't read "Ishmael - by Daniell Quinn" should go pick that up and read it, it's short, and an extremely good read probably my favorite book.

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post this in but, I'm just curious as to get some peoples views on the subjects of Green Anarchy, and Anarcho-Primitivism etc. in the survival situation.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It's not the technology that taints the earth, but rather it is the heart of man. Have you read "Earth Abides" by George Stewart? I first read that book over 35 years ago and have re-read it about once a decade ever since. (along with "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank) Although it's a bit dated (late 40's) some truths are timeless and that one is truly a work of art for a survivalist.

It would be nice if the pure of heart set the standard but still, without choice and freedom what is a society? My biggest hope is that the future provides a catalyst for building character.

Good thread. I think it will get interesting.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I haven't read either book, but I definately will. And yes everyone having charecter etc. is my ultimate hope as well, and I'm by no means a radical anti-civilization activist or anything, but I think that we need to stay in touch with our "wild" roots, or we loose a little bit of our humanity.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Alas Babylon is a great book. I bought a copy just a fews years ago and have read it several times. Yes, it is dated in some regards, mentions 49 states so you know when it was printed, but very true in other regards.

Given a situation of starting over, I like to see some things change, but not necessarily everything. What about modern medicine, go back to leeches... No, keep the antibiotics and modern pain relief in pill form.

Looks like I have a couple of books to check out and read. Thanx for the book titles.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Technology is a tool, A tool isn't good nor bad. We use Technology as an excuse to be selfish and do things to improve our own situation at the expense of others. The Movie The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise comes to mind. It in my opinion is a perfect example of the type of situation that technology can bring.

The Gatling gun was a tool of advanced (for the time) technology. It allowed the modern rulers to wipe out the last of the old thinkers in one fell swoop. So do you get rid of the gun? No you get rid of the users.

I would like to add one more book to the two others. its a book that is also dated but shows that technology can be used for good in survival.

David Graham Down to a Sunless sea

A word of warning there is two versions of this book out there. One with a good ending and one ware everybody dies. other then that the stories are exactly the same. Ive read both but odds are if you find this book it will be the happy ending one because the sad ending one is almost impossible to find.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Maybe I should have phrased this differently, but I agree technology can be a good thing, in some cases, I feel civilization, at least ours, or our civilizations ideals right now are the problem.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Oh ok I see what your saying now. LOL still read the book I suggested. its a great story.

I do not believe that dismantling society is the answer we are looking for. if you end all as we know it the people will still be here. they will not go away and things are so crowded ware will everybody go. Something needs to be done there is no doubt about that but I do not believe that dismantling society is the answer.

The true answer isn't in destruction but a moral awakening. If the morals were right there would be no need of all my survival training. Well thats my story and im sticking to it.

new topics

top topics

join