Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

NEWS: Girl thrown 75 Feet to death in stunt

page: 1
0

log in

join

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
MSNBC
"9:08 a.m. PST January 19, 2004 - A stunt seen on a popular television show is being blamed for the death of a Marysville teen. Police said a group of teens gathered at a park at Greeley Street and Rideout Way over the weekend to re-enact a stunt they had seen on the MTV program "Jackass."
 

The teens attached a rope to a merry-go-round and tied the other end to a pickup truck. When the truck went forward, the ride would spin.

Bobbi MacKinnon, 16, was killed when she was thrown 75 feet from the rided and landed in the street."

What a shame. This goes to show that 1) Shows like this DO effect people 2) Some people cannot think for themselves, some are followers. Its a shame that this had to happen this way, but maybe, though unlikely, this can be a sign that this show needs to be watched!


-wD

[Edited on 21-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]




posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
tha't's one less stupid gene that we have to weed out in the human race!







(offensive content removed)

[Edited on 21-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]



posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
How come the stunt on the show effects her, but not the disclaimer/warning at the beginning?

Does that ruin the theory that TV does harm?

David Cross (the comedian) says it best, referring to Tv/movies/media increasing the amounts of violence in society: "Which video games, exactly, was Adolf Hitler playing as a kid? What Tv shows were the whole German race watching in the 30's?"



posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Stupidity and tragedy are disproportionate...its a shame.



posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It appears that some people raised with TV have a difficult time telling it apart form reality where things are not so simple or controlled with positive outcomes.



posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
i dont blame the show, it was there dum@sses falt

but yes very sad



posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
too much stupidity on this show...
TV does affect people, (ever bought something advertised on TV?)
This is not the first time that viewers of Jack@ss have tried to imitate the things on the show and gotten hurt or killed.

The warning at the beginning is far outweighed by the actual stunts acted out on the show. Keep in mind that young people never think "it" can happen to them...

Stupid? sure...
Ignorant? you bet...
Disclaimer? who cares... it doesn't stop them~



[Edited on 22-1-2004 by intelgurl]



posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
i dont blame the show, it was there dum@sses falt

but yes very sad


If I did every stupid thing I saw on TV I would be either disabled or dead. These kids are just plain #ing stupid. I dont think its sad at all. The kid is obviously stupid. Now he wont pass his stupidity to the next generation.



posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
too much stupidity on this show...
TV does affect people, (ever bought something advertised on TV?)
This is not the first time that viewers of Jack@ss have tried to imitate the things on the show and gotten hurt or killed.

The warning at the beginning is far outweighed by the actual stunts acted out on the show. Keep in mind that young people never think "it" can happen to them...

Stupid? sure...
Ignorant? you bet...
Disclaimer? who cares... it doesn't stop them~


so... should they remove this show from the air?



posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango
How come the stunt on the show effects her, but not the disclaimer/warning at the beginning?

Does that ruin the theory that TV does harm?

David Cross (the comedian) says it best, referring to Tv/movies/media increasing the amounts of violence in society: "Which video games, exactly, was Adolf Hitler playing as a kid? What Tv shows were the whole German race watching in the 30's?"




David Cross is an idiot, as obviously, are those who follow him.

The German race had mass rallies and indoctrination via the education system. They were a country who's face had been pushed into the dirt following the Treaty of Versailles and were motivated into crawling back up again by a hypnotically charasmatic leader. That MAY have had some SLIGHT effect on their later actions.

Alternately, look at it this way: If you took a random selection of 10,000 video gaming/TV watching kids, and placed each one in exactly the same position of unlimited and untouchable power as Adolf Hitler, how many would NOT abuse that power and NOT become like Hitler? The answer? Not a lot. Case closed.



posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango
so... should they remove this show from the air?

not necessarily...although it could be wise to bury it after midnight or change the format...

maybe it's only a matter of time before parents of these negatively influenced teens sue the producers... same as people who sue the tobacco companies...

it is clear that in spite of the disclaimer (cigarette packages have a disclaimer too) there are those who are going to be influenced to act out the foolish behavior portrayed on the program.



posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SabbyJ


David Cross is an idiot, as obviously, are those who follow him.

The German race had mass rallies and indoctrination via the education system. They were a country who's face had been pushed into the dirt following the Treaty of Versailles and were motivated into crawling back up again by a hypnotically charasmatic leader. That MAY have had some SLIGHT effect on their later actions.

Alternately, look at it this way: If you took a random selection of 10,000 video gaming/TV watching kids, and placed each one in exactly the same position of unlimited and untouchable power as Adolf Hitler, how many would NOT abuse that power and NOT become like Hitler? The answer? Not a lot. Case closed.


I would have to disagree. Sure, children are very influential these days, due to the increased demand for "extreme" shows, and more and more violent games on the market today. I believe that it all depends on the childs enviroment, as many people would agree with me. And as for giving a child/teen the same ammount of power that was given to Hitler... You give anyone, with enough knowledge about the world around them, power like that, you know they're going to abuse it. The human race strives on power and control. And curiousity can be a terrible thing...



posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
haha, sorry I think it's funny.
Always funny when it's not you or someone you know.

Anyways, I think it would've been awesome, I am just guessing she couldn't hold on tight enough...

or the person in the truck gunned it as fast as he could.

I've done stuff as a kid that makes Jackass look tame.

My grandparents had golf carts and a back 40, which was lush green hills, that formed like a huge bowl in the middle, lol had the golf cart flip 5 times on it's side going down the slope lol

I was only 9.



posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   

The show does warn viewers not to attempt any of the stunts, but MacKinnon's friends and family say it's not enough.


I think this says enough. Everybody is ready to blame the show but no one is willing to take the responcibility on themselves. She didn't do this alone she had to have had the help of atleast her friends and why didn't her parents know what the hell she was doing.

Sure the program is stupid but shouldn't the friends and family be taking a little more of the blame?



posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Well, I watched the Terminator so should I flip out and just go around hunting down a John Connor?


lol blaming tv is so 1990's

Nobody held a gun to her head and made her do this.



posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Originally posted by quango
so... should they remove this show from the air?

not necessarily...although it could be wise to bury it after midnight or change the format...


Why not put it on at noon while all the kids are in school?



posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SabbyJ
David Cross is an idiot, as obviously, are those who follow him.

The German race had mass rallies and indoctrination via the education system. They were a country who's face had been pushed into the dirt following the Treaty of Versailles and were motivated into crawling back up again by a hypnotically charasmatic leader. That MAY have had some SLIGHT effect on their later actions.


Maybe we should no longer allow people to listen to other people talk. Some people are obviously not mature enough to not do anything they say.



Alternately, look at it this way: If you took a random selection of 10,000 video gaming/TV watching kids, and placed each one in exactly the same position of unlimited and untouchable power as Adolf Hitler, how many would NOT abuse that power and NOT become like Hitler? The answer? Not a lot. Case closed.


Case closed?
What about the control group needed for the experiment?

How about a random selection of 10,000 rich, white, american businessmen.



posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
...at times.
Nothing can weed out that false sense of invincibility that we all have as a teen.
Geez, I used to regularly jump from a 2nd story parking level onto the grass knoll in front of the rectory, when I was a kid. I never thought for a second that may be wet grass or a rock would result in a nasty compound fracture, or a slip on my lauch would break my neck.
That's teen stupidity for you......but don't take my word for it....watch one of the video show with kids trying to ride the rail on a skateboard down a flight of stairs! No pads, of course!



posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If you're going to be stupid, you have to die sometimes. Careless and/or stupid people have a long history of dying prematurely. I'm not surprised.
When you mix careless with stupid, you're surely not looking at a long healthy life.

[Edited on 1-23-2004 by Satyr]



posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Silly sheep baa baa......................................





new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join