It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mit student arrested at gunpoint for 'fake' bomb at logan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   

mit student arrested at gunpoint

www.boston.com

An MIT student has been arrested at gunpoint after allegedly walking into Logan International Airport with a fake bomb strapped to her chest. State police say 19-year-old Star Simpson, a sophomore from Hawaii, had a computer circuit board, wiring and a putty that later turned out to be Play-Doh in plain view over a black hooded sweatshirt she was wearing
--------------

wonder what is the deal with this?
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-9-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
that link sucks...thats the whole store as per that link but i JUST saw it on cnn and that is the only link i have....just wantes to get it out there

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit*

ok

cnn confirmed just now

young lady was arrested after walking in to logan.

she was 19 year old 'star' student..student was in terminal c and went to a public info kisok...person behind the desk saw the student wearing a 'sircuit board'...called the cops. the student walked into terminal c.
then, she was arrested...

it 'appeared' to be a fake bomb strapped to her chest...

state police handled it...don't know the extent of TSA.

gonna be a press conference in 15 minutes
thats all cnn said just now.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
her name is star simpson....
computer student from hawaii.

still waiting for the conference

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The biggest questions here is why? Is this to test reaction? To see how far one can get with a 'fake bomb' strapped to themselves. I find it very, very hard to beleive that she walked into the air terminal at Logan with a fake bomb strapped to her body.

This is very reminiscent of the case recently in Orlando. What is going on?

This is a quote from the officer and it is very true.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

“She’s extremely lucky she followed the instructions or deadly force would have been used,” Pare told The Associated Press. “And she’s lucky to be in a cell as opposed to the morgue.”

[edit on 21-9-2007 by esdad71]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This is the person that was arrested it would seem.

stars.mit.edu...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

i'm with you here...why would anyone, let alone and american college student do this?

they said she walked right in man...right to the kiosk...
a public info center.....

maybe to see just how far she could get IN to the airport?

bout the only thing i can think of

edit*

death by suicide?

they said when they pulled the guns she responded though...i'd think you would have to expect you'd get killed in a hot second if you pull that stunt

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

I love to build things and I love crazy ideas.....

.....Before that, I lived for a long time in Hawaii, while traveling the world and saving the planet from evil villains with my delivered-just-in-time gadgets.

If this was her, you can't get any crazier than this.

On FNC presser, the suspect called her stunt art.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
from the conference

happened at 8am
she asked about an incoming flight at the kiosk. the lady immediately became concerned.
with no response she walked away and th elady at the desk called the cops.
she was in the lower road way on the 'island' when they found her...they had k-9 there.
she followed instructions...they found it to be fake in minutes.
cause she followed instructions deadly force may have been used.

getting arraigned for disorderly and a hoax device...

she is a softmore..she said it was a piece of art and wanted to stand out for career day.

she claims it was just art and wanted to display it. the play dough was in her hands and could not explain it.....

she did not seem mentally disturbed

she gave a name of a passenger incoming and by the time they verified, they did have a passenger by that name. he already came in and left.

flight she was looking for was continental connecting from oakland.

name she gave was on the flight.

don't know the relationship between the two

she was immediately told to stop and raise hands. observe everything to see if she was trying to trip a device.
not sure how long she had it on

he is shocked that someone would wear that type of device into an airport.
had mp5 officers respond immediately.....they went right to the scence

it was a rectangle circuit board attached with wires to a battery that actually lit up..

thats ALL that was said

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
here is what i don't get.....

i don't want to turn this into the jena thing but a couple guys just got popped down there for driving around with nooses on the back of their truck....dude is getting charged with inciting a riot and 'maybe' a hate crime.
---------

this chick walks into logan with a fake bomb...people don't know it's fake and they are going to charge her with disorderly and a fake device???

-------

whats the deal here? i am NOT saying the noose thing is excessive...i am saying her charges do NOT seem just.....is a fake device a serious charge or what?

i mean, they had guys with mp-5's and k9's out there...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The entire thing is strange, and to me the idea of death by suicide is a good theory. The lead up to this next election is going to have them all coming out. The kids of all of those loonies that Reagan let out in the eighties now have grown kids.

No religious type affilitation, no obscure web site denouncing anoyone and a very, very thin alibi.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
ok, they just showed the pic of the shirt that said 'socket to me class VI'

AND, the circuit board did NOT look like a circuit board.....it was white and it looked like a 3 year old put it together in 5 seconds.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You'd think anyone from Boston would remember those boards from that Aqua Teen Hunger Force (or whatever it was) .

I wonder if she was trying to copycat that?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

she is claiming it was art and wanted to stand out on career day...

i don't get it..

this thing didn't look like anything..
we shall see

they said the hoax device charge is a felony

she is getting araigned in an hour.....is that pretty damn fast or what?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well, maybe she can get a job in law enforcement....

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I just saw the story, It doesn't look like a bomb.

It is just a breadboard with wires and lights. Her sweaters had the sock it to me comment from the old show laugh in. there was no fake tnt sticks or bricks, it was just a 4 by 12 breadboard.

If she was a EE grad it would make sence, a project to combine her studies and fashion. It is just a small circuit board.

Unless she said it was a bomb this is a big miss understanding, and poorley reported.

If she said bomb then disregard this comment.

I can understand police concern, but the reporting needs to tell us if this was intentional or a missunderstanding.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

lets see a muslim person try exactly the same stunt under the guise of 'art'. you can bet he most likely wouldn't live long enough to explain himself and if he did, would probably be jailed for a very long time.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I don't know what this device looks like, but it if it was cause for concern, she should know better

things are VERY tight around airports now and anyone with half a brain would know that anything that looks suspicious or out of the ordinary is going to be inquired about.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777
I just saw the story, It doesn't look like a bomb.

It is just a breadboard with wires and lights. Her sweaters had the sock it to me comment from the old show laugh in. there was no fake tnt sticks or bricks, it was just a 4 by 12 breadboard.

If she was a EE grad it would make sence, a project to combine her studies and fashion. It is just a small circuit board.

And what exactly does a strap on bomb look like? It's not like everyone is wearing the device she had on to an Airport, on top of that one of the airports the 9/11 flights came from. Just plain stupid thing to do, don't make it sound anywhere near normal behavior.

To say she used poor judgement is the understatement of the year. She is very lucky to have completely complied with the police on the scene or she probably isn't alive right now.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

she is in no way right and it is not normal behavior but just for the sake of the convo, i am pretty sure strap on bombs do not look like what she had...

the way they explain it on the news you picture some computer board with wires here and there and this and that...

it was a white hunk of junk with a wire going to a 9 volt....it looked like some 3 year old tried to make a pc or something.....

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I am not defending her lack of thought process, it is like the marketing campaign for adult swim that put boxes on bridges for guerilla advertising in Boston.

Sort of like the guy who walks into a bank to get cash for his halloween party and doesnt reallize a axe and a Jason hokey mask is a bad idea.

It is possible she made a shirt to show off her electical skills and never thought about it. It was dumb, but not intentional, I am just glad she didn't get shot. Or tasered....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join