It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputies subdue autistic boy with Taser

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I think we have all noticed some kind of new trend recently. One in which the police have itchy trigger fingers when it comes to "protecting and serving" the community.

-It seems the cops can and will arrest you for seemingly nothing more than reading the constitution.
Five People Arrested For Reading The Constitution At A Pro War Rally

-We have the case of the wheelchair bound woman being tasered to death...well done boys. The streets are much safer
Wheelchair-Bound Woman Dies After Being Shocked With Taser 10 Times

-And of course we have the Florida student tasered in front of his peers.
The 3 minutes BEFORE the student got tasered @ Kerry's Q&A

Now I bring to you the latest taser job by the cops...

Deputies subdue autistic boy with taser

Orange County sheriff's deputies on Tuesday defended their decision to use a stun gun on a 15-year-old autistic boy who ran away from his parents and later dashed into traffic.

The deputies feel it was the right thing to do and claim it may have saved his life. Perhaps they hadn't seen the article about their police brothers killing a wheelchair bound woman with tasers.

Naturally, mom is not happy about their decision.

But Doris Karras, mother of Taylor Karras, said deputies did not need to use the Taser gun, particularly since she had called various police agencies to alert them that her son was missing.

She said her son would have followed deputies' directions if he hadn't felt threatened. "This was a very aggressive response," she said. She said her son "didn't have any weapon on him. He didn't even have a pencil."

Due to all of these stories coming out now, I am left with questions as I'm sure many of you are.

Are all of these just freak coincidences?
Is this an orchestrated effort to make us fear police and to feel like we don't have all the freedoms we think we do?
Is this being done so we begin believing that we are doomed to live in a police state?
How many more incidents will it be before people make a stand?

I dont own a gun, but thank God we still have the right to bear arms in case we need to.

PEACE

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
My guess is a couple stories broke in the news, then a few news casters actually did their job and found there were many more they never reported, or more that they rereported from months ago.

With tens of thousands of cops being trained to taser to get compliance I would guess there are 100's of people tasered daily, some just got caught on tape.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Thats what I was thinking, and hoping, but it doesnt hurt to have a thread like this where we can keep track of the latest taserings.

I'm not the typical doom and gloom ATSer that thinks martial law is coming or the end of the world is near. I just want to know the truth. Is this all coincidence or conspiracy...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Despite I dont like the use of tasers we hear about all the time, this could have been the right time to do so. Sure, he was autistic and only 15 years old and that makes it sound terrible, but autistic kids can be a great danger to themselves and in some cases, others.
In this one, I could see the use the of a taser as the right thing to do if the kid was in danger due to traffic. Better get tasered than getting run over by a car.

Of course its impossible to tell if you didnt actually see the situation, but reading the article, this is what came to mind.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Just to play devil's advocate here: at least people are just getting shocked and not shot these days.

I'm not defending the cop's decision to taser this kid; I wasn't there and I don't know the whole story.

But most people who are tasered don't end up on life support in the hospital or in a coffin.

In a way, this is progress -- innocent people, even suspects, are no longer being shot and killed.

It remains to be seen whether this is meant to intimidate people or not.

I know I'd rather take a shock than a bullet. Any day.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The absurdities. Police are just using these tazers as a means to doing as little excercise as possible.

"Hey Baaawb, thur goes that thur awwtistik kid. Gawdaamn he sure is a quick 'in. Hell, lets jus' zap him."

"Hey Baaawb, that thur cripple looks kinda daanjurus, we can't jus' wheel hur awwf. Hell, lets jus' zap hur."

"Hey Baaawb, that thur gurl is drunk. She maight take some man-handlin' t'get hur cuffed. Hell, lets jus' zap hur."

"Hey Baaawb, that thur chatterbox of a fella won't stop acksin' them thur stoopid thangs. Hell, lets jus' zap him."

Yeah, tazers are the new donut in the fight against policemans midrifts.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Tasers are deadly weapons, and are used by people to kill lots of people a year. I for one refuse to be tasered. I carry a gun, and have a concealed carry permit, and if someone points a taser at me, whether it's a cop or not, I will defend myself.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
So according to the police in this case, if my 7 yr old autistic kid gets out of line I should taze him..

Well God damn I wish I would have thought of that before my hair went grey and now I look 60...

Oh well better luck next time.

[edit on 9/21/2007 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What should they have done then? Continue to let him running through traffic and endangering himself and anyone who was driving on that road at the time? Should we just let anyone who has a problem just go and do whatever they want simply because they cant understand what they are doing?

Also, how were the deputies supposed to know about his condition? Its not like they have access to every single person's medical records you know.

Im sorry guys but I think the cops did the best thing. You guys need to realize that reality isent so clear cut and perfect ... you cant shoot guns out of peoples hands, you cant talk everyone down from the brink of a rampage, this isent a movie; this is the real world and sometimes you have to get tough and use force.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Autistict children can be very strong,my nephew is autistic at 12 yrs old he flippd out beat up my mom and my sister,it took 5 policemen to subdue him,and even then they had their hands full

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If it took 5 police officers to subdue one 12 year old autistic kid, I would say we have more things to worry about then geting shocked.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Before tasers, police didn't just have the option to shoot. Police work has been done effectively for long enough than to all of a sudden make it "taze or shoot".

I'm sure the taser has kept some from being killed, but to call it the ONLY alternative to shooting someone I think is a little ridiculous.

I can see where the cops could be coming from in this situation IF TASERS WERE 100% SAFE, but the problem is, they're not. 220 americans dead and counting...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
What should they have done then? Continue to let him running through traffic and endangering himself and anyone who was driving on that road at the time? Should we just let anyone who has a problem just go and do whatever they want simply because they cant understand what they are doing?

Also, how were the deputies supposed to know about his condition? Its not like they have access to every single person's medical records you know.

Im sorry guys but I think the cops did the best thing. You guys need to realize that reality isent so clear cut and perfect ... you cant shoot guns out of peoples hands, you cant talk everyone down from the brink of a rampage, this isent a movie; this is the real world and sometimes you have to get tough and use force.

I didn't want to comment on this but now I will- Tasing isn't the answer all the time. But this situation perhaps it was. Have the Deputies yell stop and watch the boy get hit?

In a very rare case surprising though the boy getting tasered saved his life.

[edit on 9/21/2007 by Leyla]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burymeinblak
If it took 5 police officers to subdue one 12 year old autistic kid, I would say we have more things to worry about then geting shocked.

please do not attempt to twist the incident out of context

the five cops were probally attempting to restrain , bring under control that child without resorting to violence / injury

and that takes bodies - as you need at least one person for each arm - and legs - and control the head

physically pinning each limb and limiting movement - so they cannot hurth others , or themelves

have you aseen the fits an autiscic can have ? they are pretty scarry -

i have had 1st hand experiece of having to issolate , subdue and capture a larger suspect - and it can be done ' one up ' but it is not pretty and cetrainly not the way to treat a 12 year old autiscic boy

new topics

top topics

join