It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the best spyware/Anti-virus?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Unisol

Must be where you downloaded it from. Don't trust all download sites. Some will mod the program so a spyware can piggy-back on it.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hello all,

On the anti-spyware front, check out the new evaluation online at PC World magazine at:

www.pcworld.com...

Yes, some anti-spyware programs will slow down your computer, unless you have 1 gigabyte of memory available. In other words, go ahead and max out the memory on your computer...it is money well spent, because you won't like any computer that is loaded with spyware and other Badware.

For anti-virus software, getting the "best" software really depends on a few key variables:

1) What are you using your computer for? If you have to do a lot of downloads from the internet, your risk profile will be very different from that of users who just use the internet to send email and read news websites.

2) What's your hardware platform? Standalone or network? PC or Mac or Other?? Each platform type has different risks and benefits, and the security software is often designed for one platform type only.

The following link is from ZDnet (PC Magazine), which rates anti-virus products as of 2007:

reviews-search.zdnet.com...

I used to use Norton until my hardware support guys recommended against it, then I used McAfee until it killed my e-mail program by mistake. For the last 2 years I have used ZoneAlarm which I recently renewed my subscription on. For me and my computer usage, ZoneAlarm does the trick.

Hope this helps. Good luck out there.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uphill
I used to use Norton until my hardware support guys recommended against it, then I used McAfee until it killed my e-mail program by mistake.

Well, let me second that. Norton is bloatware and McAfee is ineffective.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uphill
The following link is from ZDnet (PC Magazine), which rates anti-virus products as of 2007:

reviews-search.zdnet.com...
I don't understand it, does ZDnet rates anti-virus or is the link to anti-virus ratings as of 2007?

If you mean the first, I think ZDnet does more than that, and if you the second then the page says "28 Product reviews for zonealarm", so it is not a list of the ratings given to anti-virus, it is the result of a search by "Zonealarm" on the "Product Reviews" section.

If you want to see anti-virus ratings then you can see Checkmark and Virus Bulletin (free registration needed).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join