It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA, Interrogation manual 1963 CIA resource recruitment manual 1983

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
This is old stuff found it wandering around the internet, they were declasified in the 90's so they might have been discussed.

These methods are used domestically and is a good primer to let you know when a questioning sesion is trying to use researched techniques to get you to do or say something.

It also really throws a wrench into the "America does not torture", of "Abugrabi was a few bad apples having frat party fun" arguements.

"We must break you!!"

CIA, KUBARK Counterintelligence Interrogation, July 1963
Part 1
www.gwu.edu...

Part 2
www.gwu.edu...

Part 3
www.gwu.edu...

CIA, Human Resource Exploitation Training Manual - 1983
Part 1
www.gwu.edu...

Part 2
www.gwu.edu...

[edit on 21-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I just love this part

If a new safehouse is to be used as the interrogation site, it should be studied carefully to be sure that total enviroment can be manipulated as desired. For example the electric current should be known in advance, so that transformers or other modifying devices will be on hand if needed.

www.gwu.edu...

Um excuse me but don't transformers or other modifying devices refer to being able to amp up normal electricity for electric shock?

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Great read. I particularly enjoyed the profiling descriptions.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Great read, thanks for sharing. I just got through the first manual (first three pdfs) and am about to start the second manual. The first one makes it very clear that physical coercive techniques are ineffective and can be worse than useless. There was nothing remotely having to do with torture in the first (1963) manual. I was never a CIA interrogator so I don't know the actual practices, but that manual itself promotes nothing that could remotely be considered torture.

The "new safehouse" quote has to do with setting up safehouses in different countries and making sure they are set up correctly before the first interrogations take place (making sure your lights, microphones, cameras, etc. work and that you have the proper voltage converters.) If you're looking for evidence of torture being condoned, what you quoted does nothing to further your cause.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHumana

There is a spot that says before any coercive measures are used permission from upper people must be gotten.
It defines them as bodily harm, chemical, or electrical means. That might count page 8

but it does speak of the measures used at AbuGrabi, sensory deprivation and fear. I guess I consider that torture too, read somewhere psychological torture actually has longer life long effects then physical.

I am not looking for evidence. I am including the methods covered in a discovery show I saw and methods here as torture

[edit on 1-10-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Can you imagine how spooky the current (classified) manuals must be?
The government regards interrogation as a craft. (like say silversmithing) that gives me the willies.
Jules

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Redge777

Right, I did take personal note of

III. 2. - "If medical, chemical, or electrical methods are to be used to induce acquiescence." Whereby prior superior approval was required.

However, I think the quote you used relating to currents had more to do with the insistence that the interrogator had absolute control of the environment than physical shocking. It seems that even stuff that I honestly considered silliness (like hypnosis) was regarded seriously in the manual - it advised interrogators without the appropriate doctorates not attempt it due to the risk of irreversible damage to the subject.

The psychological games played seemed pretty harmless in the long term. Even "water-boarding" (not sure if it's really used or just allegedly used these days - but it's fairly irrelevant) seems rather harsh compared to the stuff in the manual, in my opinion. Also, especially back then, the CIA had a much greater interest (and success potential, I'm sure!)in turning hostile agents (KGB, GRU, etc.) against their masters than they do these days.

I especially enjoyed reading about the "Alice in Wonderland" treatment! It sounds like high school all over again.

The intentional blank spots (many seem to be of proper names - though some are paragraph sized) are what really pique my interest!

If you haven't already, I highly recommend picking up Allen Dulles' "The Craft of Intelligence", the original was written back in 1967, but current printings are available in major bookstores. The style is very familiar.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Redge777

Great read. Thanks for the contribution.

But I have to respond to what you said in your thread. Keep in mind that I'm not denying that the US engages in torture. But for you to say that a manual from 1963 (at the height of the Cold War), which has since been declassified, contradicts the arguments made today about Abu Grab and the torture of terror suspects, is pretty absurd. The only thing we can take from this manual is the kind of mindset our government had back in those days, and the lengths they were willing to go to to protect this nation from the "evils" of Communism. Aside from similarities in techniques that may be used today, it doesn't mean anything in regards to recent times.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Excellent digging! I'll respond more appropriately after I have had a chance to read more and absorb it all.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
To say because it was allowed then it is not allowed now is a counter intuitive argument. What grand change of perspective has been shown that caused the change in decision.

And it can be found in many places, including the Republican debate, that our leaders still think torture is OK. They assume the ends justify the means. A silly argument.

I guess what indication do you site that policy has changed?

On the note of drugs and Hypnosis, it is real, and used by secret societies also, I can guarantee you that. Also note the term craft is also the one used to mention the use of occult activities. Personally, and this is my belief system, I believe Hypnosis intersects with occultism, but that is a long discussion.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I found this an interesting add to the above documents.

www.theblackvault.com...
Senate report on MKULTRA behavioral modification studies. This is just one document, it is not the hearings conclusion page 36 of pdf

Conclusion -
The salient points that emerge from this discussion are the following No such magic brew as the popular notion of truth serum exists. The barbiturates by disrupting defensive patterns may sometimes be helpful in interrogations. But even under the best conditions they will elicit an ----- contaminated by deception fantasy garbled speech etc. A major vulnerability they produce in the subject is a tendency to believe he has revealed more then he has. It is possible however for both normal individuals and psychopaths to resist drug interrogation. It seems likely that any individual who can withstand ordinary intensive interrogation can hold out in narcosis. The best aid is a defence against narco-interrogation is foreknowledge of the process and its limitations.

More documents here
www.theblackvault.com...

[edit on 13-10-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Wow, Redge, some pretty amazing finds. All of it just really boggles the mind. I too must wonder what the manuals say nowadays. Where do you find all of the great stuff you post?

On a side note, there is a thread on ATS somewhere about a recently declassified document detailing the lengths to which the government was willing to go to stir up public fear and antipathy against Cuba in the 60's. Evidently they were willing to detonate conventional bombs in American cities and plant evidence implicating Cuba. Sorry, don't know the link. Imagine the lengths they would go to for more trivial matters or population control. It's frightening.

Thanks for the U2U on the other thread, going to check it out now.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I think you are talking about the "Project For a New American Centry" documents.

I find what I am meant to find when I need it.

2 Corinthians 2:12
When I went to Troas to preach the good news about Christ, I found that the Lord had already prepared the way.

new topics

top topics

join