It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Ahmadinejad to speak at US university

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Intelligence, eloquence and passion do not always equate to rational reasoning or valuable ideas. Iran's president has very little credibility with me personally. Unless his actions change his propaganda tours and immature speeches mean little.

Couldnt this exact statement also apply to George Bush?

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Good Lord! After reading through the crap in some of the posts about Columbia University it makes me wonder. How many of you "Political pundits" have actually been to or know what Columbia is trying to achieve ?

What is the point of inviting him to a forum ?? People seem to prefer the 'fingers in the ear and hum' approach rather than engaging somebody in debate. I bet every ATS member would go crazy if Ahmedinajad were to become a member here. Where else can the average American citizen have the chance to address world leaders and get answers . Where else can leaders of countries like Iran be cross-questioned as to his beliefs and challenged intellectually. Everybody is more interested in gaging him and shouting him out rather than doing the intelligent thing and confounding him in his own poor logic . Who knows, he might even learn something or the other from his interaction.

As for Columbia University becoming "irrelevant" that is absolutely crazy, they had 4 Nobel prizes last year alone and has served as a launching pad for the greatest minds in the world. Those who choose to ignore it are mere fools. It is one of the worlds greatest universities period.

Someone a few pages back asked if people can put up a video about Ahmedinajads speech. There is going to apparently be a web-cast of the event on the Columbia site.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Seriously, Why Not Just Hear The Guy Out?

Obviously there are many different opinions about this, so here's mine.

What harm could there possibly be in having President Ahmadinejad speak his peace in a free country?

Has the United States become so averse to knowledge and liberty that the idea of hearing a man's words from his own mouth is frightening to us?

This man has been labeled the "New Hitler", is given credit for all sorts of outrageous statements and is alluded to as some sort of "source of all evil" in the American press.

According to sources.

How many of my fellow Americans truly consider themselves too weak-willed and feeble-minded to hear what this man truly has to say?

I refuse to believe my beloved country has fallen so low. :shk:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Well for fear of getting a bollocking for a one line post

Hear Hear !!!

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
What harm could there possibly be in having President Ahmadinejad speak his peace in a free country?

This type of thinking is the result of the relentless PC crowd and the liberal media.
There is NO way I could imagine Hitler coming to the U.S. and give a speech at a university. Its just absurd and ludicrous!
Have some self respect people and don't get swindled by this dictator.

Has the United States become so averse to knowledge and liberty that the idea of hearing a man's words from his own mouth is frightening to us?

It has nothing to do with being frightened. You just don't allow tyrannts to run amuck giving propaganda speeches. Don't you realize he is NOT going to say what he really means. He will only lie and spew his propaganda in order to further his cause.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Public talks from foreign leaders should be not only permitted but REQUIRED. Let the people hear what he has to say and why he's saying it instead of getting a diluted picture after the news agencies are done molesting it. It's important to hear it from the primary source! I know we're so out of touch from the origins of news because of the media bias and for us to determine whether or not he's a "bad guy" or not is really imparative for not only the United States but every nation.

If our president would stop being such a f***** coward and have a moderated, fair, and open debate with this guy, maybe we could see where the disagreement lies between the two nations, you know? If we have a presdient who doesn't have the intellectual capacity to have a debate than he should be let out to the wolves. I'm really excited about his visit, though. Should be interesting..

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
Public talks from foreign leaders should be not only permitted but REQUIRED. Let the people hear what he has to say and why he's saying it instead of getting a diluted picture after the news agencies are done molesting it. It's important to hear it from the primary source! I know we're so out of touch from the origins of news because of the media bias and for us to determine whether or not he's a "bad guy" or not is really imparative for not only the United States but every nation.

If our president would stop being such a f***** coward and have a moderated, fair, and open debate with this guy, maybe we could see where the disagreement lies between the two nations, you know? If we have a presdient who doesn't have the intellectual capacity to have a debate than he should be let out to the wolves. I'm really excited about his visit, though. Should be interesting..

Let me put this another way:

If someone in your neighborhood was harassing your family or even worse, attacked or killed someone in your family, would you want to hear from this person? Would you really want to hear him say how innocent he is and how he only believes in peace and would never do such a thing? Of course NOT!! Same with Ahmadinedoofus. It has nothing to do with cowardice. It has everything to do with having some respect for yourself and not allowing lunatics to voice their distorted view.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

may i ask what that has got to do with Iran?
in that sense most nations shouldnt have a dialogue with the united states
(russia aswell) for the actions of the US in the past and presense.

got to love these doublestanderd views

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Fight Tyranny With Tyranny

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan
It has nothing to do with being frightened. You just don't allow tyrannts to run amuck giving propaganda speeches.

I don't? And just which tyrant has dictated that I cannot?

My copy of the United States Constitution doesn't prohibit me from hearing what President Ahmadinejad has to say.

Perhaps your copy originated in a different country?

Ignorance Is Not Strength

Don't you realize he is NOT going to say what he really means. He will only lie and spew his propaganda in order to further his cause.

Am I to depend upon you to decide for me what is true and what is false? If so, then we have incompatible views of what it means to be an American.

I would rather make up my own mind about what constitutes lies and propaganda than have someone else -- whether you, the press or the government -- dictate that to me.

Consider me a rebel, if you must, but in my America people think for themselves.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
may i ask what that has got to do with Iran?

Do you know what thread you are reading? Its about the Iranian leader.

in that sense most nations shouldnt have a dialogue with the united states
(russia aswell) for the actions of the US in the past and presense.

Umm....No!
Putting the U.S. in the same catorgory and moral ground as Iran is despicable and shows that you don't have a grasp of foreign affairs. Please get off the PC bandwagon.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
I don't?

You do since you want to hear him speak at the university on U.S. soil.

And just which tyrant has dictated that I cannot?

Nobody said that you cannot listen to him. You can hear what he has to say when he speaks at the U.N. or even when he speaks from Iran. However the U.S. government has the right and should restrict him from doing anything except going to the UN. Hell, if I had my way, I would not have even let him enter the U.S.

Am I to depend upon you to decide for me what is true and what is false? If so, then we have incompatible views of what it means to be an American.

I don't know what to say because he is constantly spewing hatred and propaganda. I guess you are not listening.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

"The righteous always prevail." If we're in the RIGHT all the time over there, prove it with a regulated and focused debate. The simple action of doing so in a public forum would clear some things up for both nations without the spin. As in the case with the IRAQ war the media and the government agencies that sold us the war were completely off-base in the majority of their claims. If you're willing to believe that Iran is supplying munitions to extremist groups than you haven't learned from the first war that was sold to us hook, line, and sinker.

And to clarify my first point... If I'm right and I know I'm right, with the information to back my claim factually I can COMPLETELY DESTROY anyone's credibility. As the president you have a responsibility to defend the country not only through actions but through discussion. He has no issue with blasting Iran in State of the Unions, press conferences, q and a's, and rose garden photo ops. Why not prove what you've said all along in real-time?

Of course, people who don't know how to argue a point without using extremes. For example; Hitler, Stalin, Castro, etc... If our actions were justified over all the opposing sides, I would have no hesitation on bringing them on my soil to prove my point, to my people. May the best man win. Transparencies on both sides become obvious in debate and that's why I have so much faith in it...

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

your right the united states is a saint compared to Iran
what was i thinking

The United states has never invaded another nation
The united states doesnt sponser groups for its own intrests
The United states doesnt do anything wrong

my apoligies

Sarc off

[edit on 22-9-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
"The righteous always prevail." If we're in the RIGHT all the time over there, prove it with a regulated and focused debate. The simple action of doing so in a public forum would clear some things up for both nations without the spin. As in the case with the IRAQ war the media and the government agencies that sold us the war were completely off-base in the majority of their claims. If you're willing to believe that Iran is supplying munitions to extremist groups than you haven't learned from the first war that was sold to us hook, line, and sinker.

And to clarify my first point... If I'm right and I know I'm right, with the information to back my claim factually I can COMPLETELY DESTROY anyone's credibility. As the president you have a responsibility to defend the country not only through actions but through discussion. He has no issue with blasting Iran in State of the Unions, press conferences, q and a's, and rose garden photo ops. Why not prove what you've said all along in real-time?

Of course, people who don't know how to argue a point without using extremes. For example; Hitler, Stalin, Castro, etc... If our actions were justified over all the opposing sides, I would have no hesitation on bringing them on my soil to prove my point, to my people. May the best man win. Transparencies on both sides become obvious in debate and that's why I have so much faith in it...

I am not going to argue with you so if you cannot see the obvious then nothing I say will change that. You can go ahead and believe all the propaganda you want but its the wrong opinion. Sorry, but I choose to believe our ideals over theirs.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

It would seem that you are scared or doubtfull of the American people not to be swayed by what Ahmedinejad has to say.

Imust say this is alarming as you dont have the faintest idea what he is going to say

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I also think public debate of world leaders helps secure a true and absolute form of checks and balances. You know, that weird word that we used to require when referencing war and all other political decisions....

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'd rather have a friend of the US than a friend as Iran. Thats what most people should be considering.

There is no question about who is good or who is bad. Mohammad according to our values here in America could have been called a Pedophile and a barbarian but quite a few people also see him as a great prophet who brought about a purpose to the thousands of nomadic Arabs of that time. Ahmedinajad is the same. In America we may tend to find his existence repugnant but many people across the world think he is a great leader and for that it would be wise of us to listen to what he says so that we have a better understand why so many people like this guy.

As a free nation it would be magnanimous of us to extend the right to free speach to Ahmedinajad even though he does not practise the same thing in Iran. Also, we arent just going to listen to him rail on and on but there are going to be question posed to him and he will be asked to answer them logically. I doubt if his rhetoric will find any favor with the audience.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
your right the united states is a saint compared to Iran
what was i thinking

I don't know what you were thinking but I'm glad to see you have come around to the obvious.

The United states has never invaded another nation

True!
Please list a nation the U.S. has invaded in order to take over their land and conquer them permantly.

The united states doesnt sponser groups for its own intrests

What terrorists groups are we sponsoring?

The United states doesnt do anything wrong

I never said the U.S. doesn't do anything wrong but we don't do things wrong with an evil or sinister intent.

my apoligies

Apology accepted!

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Listening Post

I guess you are not listening.

You guessed wrong.

Just because we have different points of view about this issue doesn't mean I am not listening or am otherwise uninformed.

In fact, you might want to ask yourself honestly if you are really listening to what people are actually saying.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
It would seem that you are scared or doubtfull of the American people not to be swayed by what Ahmedinejad has to say.

Imust say this is alarming as you dont have the faintest idea what he is going to say

Apparently you are not comprerhending what I am saying. I'll repeat myself once again.
It has nothing to do with being scared or doubtfull. It has to do with not allowing a tyrant to run amuck spreading his propaganda. Would you have wanted Hitler to come speak? I hope not.
I don't care what he says because it will not be the truth or what he really believes. He is only going to spew what he believes the American people want to hear. Besides, what is he going to say that you have not heard him say already?

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join