It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Ahmadinejad to speak at US university

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

I think the best reply to this must be:

If we have to explain..
You wouldnt understand

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
So this is idiot gets to enjoy the freedom of speech on our country? This is such a slap in the face to all the Iranians who cant say ANYTHING in their country without risk of execution if their gov't doesnt like what they are saying. Why should we let this man talk?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Sounds very interesting to me. Maybe it will make it harder for the Bush administration to make everybody living in the middle east look like insane terrorists. Its an illusion that works because of the ignorance of the people.

The Bush Admin doesnt have to do that-Mr. Ahgmadjhfjob does a fine job of making himself look like an insane terrorist with the speaches he gives ALL by himself.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
So this is idiot gets to enjoy the freedom of speech on our country? This is such a slap in the face to all the Iranians who cant say ANYTHING in their country without risk of execution if their gov't doesnt like what they are saying. Why should we let this man talk?

For just that reason ... think about it.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This nut job should not enjoy any privliges that he doesnt grant his own people. He should get a taste of it.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   

This nut job should not enjoy any privliges that he doesnt grant his own people. He should get a taste of it.

Would you say this applies to any world leader then?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Ibow to your superiorknowledge of the Iranian language and your understanding of it.

You ..........you do speak Farsi? or how else would you be able to translate them all

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Sure do. Any world leader who doesnt let their own citizens enjoy free speech in their country should not have the opportunity to come here and enjoy it as well. If they feel so styrongly that their OWN citizens cannot speak freely then why do they think they should enjoy that opportunity?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Sure do. Any world leader who doesnt let their own citizens enjoy free speech in their country should not have the opportunity to come here and enjoy it as well. If they feel so styrongly that their OWN citizens cannot speak freely then why do they think they should enjoy that opportunity?

I'm glad to hear that you agree. Google "Free speech zones", there were too damn many to choose from. So when do we censure Bush? Btw, I'm glad you're in line with this.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I'm glad to hear that you agree. Google "Free speech zones", there were too damn many to choose from. So when do we censure Bush? Btw, I'm glad you're in line with this.

You're obviously not listening. Bush is the leader of a country who enjoys the the freedom of speech so therefore he would be exempt in my scenario. Mr. Akmablowjob is not.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

You're obviously not listening. Bush is the leader of a country who enjoys the the freedom of speech so therefore he would be exempt in my scenario. Mr. Akmablowjob is not.

Free speech is not as free as you think.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   

* bold emphasis mine

A taste of What? ... that which he as well as the citizens of Iran so seek and desire? The ability to speak their mind without fear of persecution and or reprisal? As do we? You?

Denying Ahmadinejad the ability to speak would seem akin to telling the Iranian populace that "Hey? It's no different here. Same, same."

?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I don't think this is the right way to look at it.

As long as Ahmadinejad is in the United States, he has the right to free speech.

However, no organization (such as Columbia University) has any obligation to facilitate that speech by providing him a forum that only a prestigious few get to have.

It is not Mr. Ahmadinejad's right to speak freely while he's legally in the U.S. that should be questioned, it is the actions of Columbia that are of concern. Of course they have the right to invite him to speak -- as both individuals and organizations have plenty of freedoms to make stupid decisions in our relatively free society. But that doesn't mean they should be applauded for exercising their right to make a stupid decision, which, in my opinion, inviting him to speak there is.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
People talk about how Iran denies the freedom of speech, censors certain aspects of gaining information etc. Some people already made a few good responses in defense -- but I'd like to make another point.

Iran is still considered a 3rd world nation by most -- correct?
'3rd world' meaning not just technology, but society and government.
Look back at what America used to be like, a couple hundred years ago -- where it too could perhaps be considered a '3rd world' country. There was slavery, racism, hangings... a lot of crazy stuff that went on, by the very people that we today see as the 'average American families'. But did America have some world 'superpower' come and show us the 'right way'? ...or did America sort it out itself, as the nation was left allowed to progress?
Even today some of this is still a problem -- and the nation is considered the most advance, technologically and society wise.

The point is, the only right way to set them straight (not that IMO they need to be) is to lead by example and let them progress on their own. That doesn't mean let them make attrocities and give the potential to make attrocities... but if everyone kept to their own needs and not get selfish, I don't think we'd be worrying about that happening in the first place. If we want Iran never to aquire nuclear weapons -- throw away our own. Set by example, not by double standards.

It's so easy for us to sit back while judging & criticizing at the comfort of our own homes, while at the same time our country has many of the same problems and issues going on behind the curtains. I think if we forget about everyone else, fix our own problems -- and set by example, this world would be a much better place. Every now and then we might get another Hitler, then we unite with everyone else & take him down. But if you're going to compare Mr. Ahmadinejad with Hitler ... that is proof we have a major problem with the American nation today, and it needs to be fixed.

Wake up, get up -- and get rid of the propoganda spewing, war mongering, brainwashing, [insert 50 other words]... which is the American Mainstream Media. I don't mean just turn it off, it needs to be taken out ....of business.

[edit on 21/9/07 by Navieko]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Does anybody else find it strange that this evil monsterous man who is threatening our very way of life and banging the war drums against us is walking around here on a visa giving speeches at universities?
Reminds me of those pro wrestling matches, what a stage...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Does anybody else find it strange that this evil monsterous man who is threatening our very way of life and banging the war drums against us is walking around here on a visa giving speeches at universities?

Um, how has he threatened YOUR way of life?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Reminds me of those pro wrestling matches, what a stage...

"evil monsterous man", "threatening our very way of life" "banging the war drums" ...B..B...Bill O'Reilly? Is that you!?

Sounds like it came straight out of Fox News!

Twitchy, please tell me how on earth you managed to come to such a conclusion, such that Iran are the aggressors and the US/Israel -- are not?
Because I'm so stupid... I was under the impression that it was the US that started this whole big mess, and everything was fine before.

Also -- as Intepid asked above, how has he threatened your way of life, and where has he threatened to do so?

[edit on 21/9/07 by Navieko]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I sure do not follow the condemnation of Columbia university
for giving the president of Iran a stage to speak from...

The stage is just an incedential factor, Ahmadinejad's message and words
can be spoken anywhere.... it's the media that puts him on TV that
is the the 'problem'...(if there is one)
i'm certain the news coverage isn't about to glorify his rantings & ravings & opinionated rhetoric,
they will counter that they are covering his address in a dispassionate
manner, letting the audience make their own judgement about what they hear ! which is true to a cetain extent

~ that's exactly the university' position...he does not have a 'right' to be heard or broadcast, but his message should be heard, then analysed, and conclusions made after open inquiry & debate....& that's mostly a service
made to the American public so they may judge & weigh his message.

Do youse all recall all those Hitler speeches that were made available every week at the weekend matinees in the local movie theatres ??

news clips of 10 minutes or so, something like "Movie Tone" or similar newsreels...
the ranting, lunatic yelling speeches Hitler made, just caused the masses
to unite in solidarity against Nazi Germany...Hitler more or less motivated
many against him & his cause....
should Ahmadinejad's public life & rally speeches have a different effect ?

i think not. let him be televised, printed in the news, you-tubed on the web,

[edit on 21-9-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I don’t feel it will be safe for him to be in the US. Too many loonies that watch too much Fox news are going to be protesting violently. But I must say, has some massive balls for wanting to do this.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Intelligence, eloquence and passion do not always equate to rational reasoning or valuable ideas. Iran's president has very little credibility with me personally. Unless his actions change his propaganda tours and immature speeches mean little.

I think the man should be given a chance to be listened to without all the propaganda surrounding him. Perfect oppurtunity for him to get his side of the story out to the west which is fair enough. Ateast the guy has some balls cuz i wouldnt see bush speaking at a uni in iran.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join