It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Ahmadinejad to speak at US university

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

I believe the death penalty for anything is morally reprehensible and cannot be justified.

However, This laws were in place in Iran long before Ahmedinajad became president and he does not have the power to rescind those laws.

He would also probably not be allowed to say he was pro homosexual anyway.

The US boasts of having free speech yet doesnt want someone to be allowed to speak. I say that is fear, nothing else

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
The US boasts of having free speech yet doesnt want someone to be allowed to speak. I say that is fear, nothing else

He's going to speak, he's going to speak to his heart's content at both the UN and Columbia.

But it is also my right, to speak out to criticize Columbia for giving him such a forum.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

But it is also my right, to speak out to criticize Columbia for giving him such a forum.

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? You have the right to criticize(speak) that Columbia is giving him a forum(to speak)?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? You have the right to criticize(speak) that Columbia is giving him a forum(to speak)?

Not at all.

They don't have to invite him to speak there. It's a symbol, a significant symbol that they didn't have to make by inviting him there. Do you think University of Tehran would even be allowed to invite George W. Bush or the Israeli PM there to speak his mind to their students?

[edit on 9/21/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Dj, is Columbia doing something hypocritical or symbolic?

Which one is it, or are you just sitting on the fence?

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Dj, is Columbia doing something hypocritical or symbolic?

I think it's clear that they are doing both, and by doing so they are exposing their own real agenda. It has far more to do with the promotion of radical anti-American government views than anything to do with civil rights, education, or anything else.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think it's clear that they are doing both, and by doing so they are exposing their own real agenda. It has far more to do with the promotion of radical anti-American government views than anything to do with civil rights, education, or anything else.

You don't know that, unless you're his script writer. None of us knows what he's going to talk about.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

No I don't, maybe he'll surprise us all.

But I should mention that this is not an isolated incident, it is a pattern. I know from the Jewish community in New York, especially Columbia alumni that that school has become very Islamofascist-friendly lately and has many holocaust deniers and Jew haters on staff. Many Jews here that used to donate money to them no longer do.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Sweeeet! easy target!
Attention all American Militia Members...target practice begins immediately!

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

Ahhh you heard from the Jewish community? a not entirely paranoid bunch of racist ultra religious people.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by josephus maximus

America doesn't like militias, so why would you do America a favor?

Finish your Capri Sun, it's time for recess.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Talk about spin ...

So I'm sitting here as CNN goes down their list of Headline News [yeah, I know]. When they get to the topic of the Iranian President being allowed to speak at Columbia University, here's their blurbspin approach to the situation...

Basically that Columbia University has decided to allow Iranian President Ahmadinejad to express his anti-Israeli sentiments during his visit to the United Nations

... Huh? Not that he may speak of and or address his views regarding world events, etc.

Nah ...
Ahmadinejad will express his anti-Israeli sentiments at Columbia University

While listening to their run down of the Headline News, I couldn't help but envision this poor derelict behind the scenes ... just trying to keep up.

Spin on. Spin on ...

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Reces? I'm not allowed to have recess, and I only drink "nearly juice"

And let me correct you on one point, if I may. American Militias are not Anti America They are completely Pro America, the reason they are at odds with the government is because the government takes rights away from American citizens...this makes THE GOVERNMENT anti-America.

The arasure of that Iranian Animal is justified in my book, since he also is Anti-America.
Are you seeing a trend here?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I am hesitant to post this, but I know that is the conditioning that says anything said against Isreal is Anti-Sementic.

I heard his speech will be on Holocaust denial (fox news) but last time I heard that it wasn't true, he gave an opinion on Imperialism and Empire, including Isreal.

I think we should follow Tzu Sung and know our enemy, we should be able to hear what he says, especially if we might be going to war against him soon. But a part of me thinks our media will not let us hear anything that goes against the corporate spin.

If our media does not let us hear him, doesn't that action say more then anything he could say?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Can someone from ATS living nearby the university could go there, tape the speech and put it on youtube? It would be VERY POPULAR and could stop the Iran war.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Can someone from ATS living nearby the university could go there, tape the speech and put it on youtube? It would be VERY POPULAR and could stop the Iran war.

I live not far from it, but I'm sure it won't be open to the general public. Any Columbia students here who can get a ticket?

I did just hear, however, that Ahmadinejad will be having a press conference beforehand, so we call see what he has to say.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kacou

In 2003 Ayatollah Khamenei contacted the Bush administration by the bias of the Switzerland embassy to say: "We would want to normalize our relations with the United States. We would like to release a process that would drive to a peace agreement between Israel and the Iran."
Can you imagine that, Israel and Iran? He did not say: "We want to wipe out Israel of the card." He said: "We want the peace with Israel." And Iran was ready to put his nuclear program on the table.

You should know better than that to claim such things without documentation. Please provide proof of such an exchange taking place. If you can't then I respectfully state that it is unfounded speculation on your part. Please provide links to back up your claim.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Does it ever occur to anyone that this "anit-semitic" view is not about Jews at all? Maybe it has something to do with Isreal and the entire ruling class, including America. The fact that the US and Isreal are sharing the same bed, while the one whispers into our ears to carry out their agenda.

I'm very skeptical of Ahmadinejad for the specific reason I do not know much about him. I read the quotes and beliefs of Americans that paint him out to be ruthless, but most of this is based on opinion or public belief. The only things I have read about him that I believe, is the letter he sent to our government a while back, (maybe like 6 months ago, I can't remember) Where it was asking for an open public debate and also trying to legitimately discuss the problems. This of course was denied.

And on the subject of Columbia letting him speak at their university. THANK GOD! I mean it's obvious the news doesn't tell us the truth. The government doesn't tell the news the truth. So where do we find this? Thankfully there is still a free thinking institution that would like to hear what this man has to say for himself.

Open forums and debates and lectures give us a chance to hear things that haven't been filtered through the news.. so please have him here.

On another note, "is it all just BS?" Will he come over here to try and sway our opinion of him and his country? Maybe.. and based on the sincerity and the legitimacy of what he is saying you will probably be able to determine the validity of it. Walking the tightrope, consider this

I say to you that security is an indispensable pillar of human life and that free men do not forfeit their security, contrary to Bush's claim that we hate freedom.

Is defending oneself and punishing the aggressor in kind, objectionable terrorism? If it is such, then it is unavoidable for us.
-Osama Bin Laden

Ok, with that said, and the blind patriotism that I will receive for that, consider this.. Bin Laden brings up several points for retaliation that if the tables where turned we would also want the same exact thing. So if Ahmadinejad comes here and warns us of how the United State is continually pushing them into conflict isn't there some validity to that? It seems that we keep pushing and pushing. He reaches out and is denied. So what better way than to have him talk to us? I think most of the people here on this website see the type of imperialism that's going on in America and extending to our allies. So is it so hard to believe someone like Osama when he says we are the reason that we do not have security? That we are bringing this on ourselves by our government's actions. So if Ahmadinejad comes here and says he does not want conflict, that it's being forced upon him, isn't there just a slight chance this isn't rhetoric, instead it's truth?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I wonder how easy it would be to get tazered at that little function?? If they did that to the kid when Kerry was speaking, imagine what they would do regarding Ahmadinejad??

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe
I wonder how easy it would be to get tazered at that little function?? If they did that to the kid when Kerry was speaking, imagine what they would do regarding Ahmadinejad??

Good point! I bet he'll come here, make terrorist threats from the
podium and go home to a big support rally. You and I would be
arrested the moment we uddered a word indicating our desire for
destroying a country, it's leaders, people, etc.. I wonder why the
USA doesn't simply ban him from coming? Isn't Iran part of the
"Axis of Evil" that Prez Bush referred to a few years ago? Go figure...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join