It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Ahmadinejad to speak at US university

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Trust me, wherever this guy goes while he's here in the U.S., there will be "plants" in the audiences and on the sidewalks to try and keep Americans distracted away from what Ahmadinejad is saying and doing.

We wouldn't want the public to actually listen to this guy now would we?

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by psperos

Ao I see. Its not ok to use Anti Americanisms yet its OK you you to use Anti Iranianisms?? sounds very American to me!

Your long line of quotes have no direct origins.
Looks to me like your just following the good old US of A anti Iranian TV rhetoric.
I would think that braindead Bush has and still does spout an awfull lot more nastiness than Ahmedinijad has.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
As the university, and indeed, any university, is supposed to be a centre of learning and advancing education, then I think it should be allowed whoever it wants to speak and give lectures.

Education is nothing but a instilled viewpoint if it does not keep an open mind, and educating the university's attendees about the world and the world's various opinions outside their neighbourhood is a good step.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
wow, did anyone else notice that all the quotes on the page above weren't quotes? The guy said whatever he wanted and added "a Myth" and "Wipe israel off the map".

I think a page full of quotes would supply full quotes without inserting 9/10 of his own bias inbetween the random 1 word quotes provided as proof. There has to be a better source than that?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Akmadingdong, should be arrested on site for terrorisim. Columbia should be closed down for supporting terrorisim.

Wake-up people before your eyeballs melt from your head.............

Iran is vile and evil..............

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Just the fact that this man is allowed to address a public audience in this country speaks volumes.There are many countries(including his own)where such an address wouldnt be permitted in the first place.Then the speaker would face criminal charges,possible torture,show trial for the masses and possible execution.Though i dont agree with every foreign policy stance id still rather be here where one can get a fair trial.Even a terrorist.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by astmonster

I can see that Iran is evil, just look at them:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Now now Intrepid, I'm sure there are T&C's prohibiting such graphic images

There must be an IED or AK47 hidden behind the cushions or perhaps the head of a devil worshiping westerner in the fridge perhaps

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by astmonster
Akmadingdong, should be arrested on site for terrorisim. Columbia should be closed down for supporting terrorisim.
Wake-up people before your eyeballs melt from your head.............
Iran is vile and evil..............

Actually I think youll find that the US has been involved in a lot more terrorism than Iran has.

But I doubt you would be able to see that

'Iran is Vile and evil'
I wonder if you can justify that statement? or did it just make you feel good?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If America was the bastion of evil that it is often portrayed as, would Columbia University have been allowed to even tender the invitation? I doubt it.

It does speak volumes that this coversation is even taking place. Freedom of expression is the hallmark of our country, even the expressions of an enemy. I do hope he's allowed to speak, though I doubt anything substansive will be said.

My only concern would be security, both his, and ours.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ahmadinejad censors his own people - what's he gonna tell you?

I have a question:

A while back, I was looking at some ATS traffic stats, and I remember discovering that not a single post had originated in Iran.

Why is that, do you think? Here's a clue:

Iran has adopted one of the world's most substantial Internet censorship regimes. Iran, along with China, is among a small group of states with the most sophisticated state-mandated filtering systems in the world.

www.opennetinitiative.net...

Emphasis added.

Now, if this guy Ahmadinejad censors his own people so heavily, what kind of BS do you think he is going to tell you at Columbia University?

Wouldn't you rather hear unfiltered input from the average joe rather than the leader of a country?

C'mon, people, wake up and smell the coffee.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
If America was the bastion of evil that it is often portrayed as, would Columbia University have been allowed to even tender the invitation? I doubt it.

Haven't our diplomats been invited to hostile nations as well? And even then, haven't they been able to have high-level talks directly with leaders of those nations? That ain't gonna happen here.

It can be spun both ways.

Peace

[edit on 21-9-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I would suggest you read up a little on the power structure of Iranian Politics.

I doubt Ahmedinajad had anything to do with that (though I dont know)
I would suggest that was more the actions of the controlling Ayatollah's

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If our leaders cannot meet their enemy face to face, then they are cowards and not fit to be our leaders. Thats all I can say.

ally I think youll find that the US has been involved in a lot more terrorism than Iran has.

But I doubt you would be able to see that

Yes, here I will help him see it, but like many he will probably just close his eyes and shout "I dont see it I dont hear it!!!!!"

Somalia Government Authorities Force Media Network Shut Down Through Terrorism

That was a Western Appointed government, brought into power recently by a Western paid foreign military (Ethiopia) with the help of CIA paid terrorists.

[edit on 9/21/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Chorlton

Originally posted by Chorlton
I would suggest you read up a little on the power structure of Iranian Politics.

I doubt Ahmedinajad had anything to do with that (though I dont know)
I would suggest that was more the actions of the controlling Ayatollah's

Well now, that hardly changes the facts about Iran or about Columbia U., does it?

The point is, the America-haters would never ask Ahmadinejad about censorship. They would much rather smooch his behind than to open their eyes and see what they are smooching.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Columbia University doesn't have an ROTC program or allow any U.S. military recruiting on campus on the grounds that the military is anti-gay with its "don't ask don't tell" policy.

In comparison, homosexuality is a capital offense in Iran and as recently as two years ago, two men aged around 18 were hanged (after being beaten 228 times) for being gay. (Source here (Warning contains image of hanged boys)).

Yet Columbia invites the President of Iran to go speak at the University. See any hypocrisy here?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

No I dont see hypocrisy I see fear.
Fear that he might actually come over as a reasonable man against all the threats that bush and others have thrown at him.

But, using your criteria, the US allows the death penalty, a heinous punishment. So should the civilised world refuse to allow Bush to travel and speak there?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Edit: Accidentally hit reply button before I was ready.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
But, using your criteria, the US allows the death penalty, a heinous punishment. So should the civilised world refuse to allow Bush to travel and speak there?

So you believe having the death penalty for murderers is morally equivalent to having it for homosexual acts?

edit:

Oh and public lashings followed by hanging is equal to lethal injection?

[edit on 9/21/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
"Thanks to people's wishes and God's will the trend for the existence of the Zionist regime is downwards and this is what God has promised and what all nations want…Just as the Soviet Union was wiped out and today does not exist, so will the Zionist regime soon be wiped out"
(Comments to Iran's Holocaust Conference) December 12, 2006

Even when mistranslated to portray this guy as wanting to destroy Israel, anyone with half a brain can recognized what he is saying. Israel will cease to exist in the same way that the Soviet Union no longer exists. He does not want to kill all jews, he is not a modern day Hitler, he is merely a spokesperson for an oppressed people who have been slaves to borders drawn 50 years ago.

I love how some people can claim that the jews were given Israel as a barren desert which they have made prosperous, ignoring the fact that the main cities have been around since ancient times. Israel is and has always been one of the most important areas in the world, geographically it is prime real estate. The government of Israel wants the palestinians on the other side of the fence, the palestinians just want to live where they always have. Then the governments of either faction get involved and start blowing s*** up. Always making a mess out of things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join