It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Ahmadinejad to speak at US university

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

Good post.

I saw a small portion of the interview on CNN and thought it was really good. I'm looking forward to hearing the full U.N. address also. Remember that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad speaks has a sharp tongue. Don't believe 100% of what anyone says, ever. But as far as his speeches I've found them to be factual, credible and only distorted by his enemies and outside media sources. I haven't researched his claims about the holocaust to see exactly where he's coming from instead of having words put in my mouth by a media outlet. I find myself agreeing with the majority of what he says when it's translated correctly.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a very intelligent guy and definitely knows how to carry himself in any form of discussion. I wish I could say the same for the leader of my country. I would really love a one on one with Cheney and Ahmadinejad, even though it won't happen, it would be interesting to say the least.

Jasonmod If you don't have anything constructive to say, spare us. I think you should figure out a way to repay us the whole minute it took to read your pointless posts. Get back to us on that.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Also, I would like to add the cultural differences. They're obvious but so different that we will never really understand. What's normal to them doesn't make any sense what so ever in western societies. Christianity has a 600 year jump on Islam. Their culture in accordance with their religion isn't so different from ours. 1400 C.E. tell a time of hangings, stoning, with men and women being burned at the stake in the name of Christianity. 140 years ago good Christians were forcing slavery in virtually half of the United States through branding, castration, whipping, and rape. The United States as a Christian nation were slaughtering the natives since it's conception.

I hate to bring up all these cliche examples of atrocities committed by our own government and country but it's almost necessary when people are some undeserved righteous high-ground in defense of a country who's not so different from the one he's verbally attacking. Let the people decide what's right for them. You'll notice that they'll take a turn for democracy and freedom because it's only natural to want those things. So instead of bombing the hell out of another country, destroying countless lives in the process, lets take a step back. Look at our own actions and come to terms with that region being completely different from the one in which we live in.

Let's stop with the comparisons and start getting real. As people of any nation, we cannot afford to let this kind of BS take another life!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan

If someone in your neighborhood was harassing your family or even worse, attacked or killed someone in your family, would you want to hear from this person? Would you really want to hear him say how innocent he is and how he only believes in peace and would never do such a thing? Of course NOT!!

If thats the case then you have just presented a damn good argument why no one in the Middle East should listen to anything Israel says, and certainly need to be sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming "La La La" at the top of their voices every time Bush opens his mouth, considering he's presided over the systematic destruction of an awful lot of peoples lives in Iraq - and he's not even FROM the neighbourhood.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Well I just got reading the whole thread. Its been interesting so far.

To summarise what I've read;

People in a land that advocate free speech don't necessarily believe in it.

Despite no clinical psychological profile to the confirm the fact the President of Iran is "crazy"

Not one single person seems to understand Iranian culture, let alone the fact that the guy dresses in the formal style that is seen as the norm in Iran - instead you make fun of it.

Iran may be supplying arms to groups in Iraq that are engaging US forces. Fair enough. But, if the US forces weren't there in the first place after engaging and prosecuting a non-mandated war for oil then they wouldn't be being engaged in the first place. This is, apparently seen as Iranian aggression however and has nothing to do with the fact that the US walked in and steamrollered an entire country and has threatened to do the same to others in the region.

A nuclear weapon is fine as long as its under the control of a man who can't speak a sentence without sounding like a drawling uneducated moron, and yet in the hands of a man who is putting his point across as best as he can - quite eloquently in some cases - in a foreign language, it would be unthinkable.

Despite the fact that the actual translation of what was said about Israel is freely available on the internet, and indeed has been quoted in the thread, people choose to use the "Fox News" version because it suits their argument, rather than rely on the actual facts.

Iran is accused of terrorism and "genocide" - its entirely possible they are engaged in the first act, but "genocide"? Could someone please show me examples of "genocide" committed by Iran?

The words "down with america" (clearly seen on the photo) seem to have been mistranslated from english into english because I could swear they are referred to as "death to america"

Certain people are, by the evidence of their posts, bloodthirsty warmongers who would prefer to see the death of thousands, if not millions of innocent civilians rather than the use of diplomacy solely because "the guys a nut".

Not one of the anti-Iranian posters on this issue seems to have researched the fact that Iran is at, or possibly past peak oil production, relies on oil exports for cash and has repeatedly said it needs nuclear enegery to supplant its own internal needs so that it can carry on exporting oil. Nope - it has to be about a weapon apparently.

In conclusion;

Theres a whole lot of hate knocking about right now and ignorance sure as hell isn't being denied.

These are just my observations by the way.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Everybody, please stay on topic and lets go sniping at each other eh? It adds nothing to the debate and if you need to resort to ad hominem attacks then perhaps you need to research your point a bit further.

Thanks
FredT

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
neformore - as to the quote about "death to America" the poster said it was a translation of the Iranian text on the flags. The translation into American by the Iranians that is on the flags was different. At least that is what I got out of it.

I have had several good friends who have been from Iran. One was from the desert region, several from the mountains. They don't exactly agree with each others ideals, kind of like here in the US. Several think their president is a nut job, the other thinks he is a savior!

As far as the nuclear aspect, do some more research on that one. Iran has said they are developing nuclear weapons and that it is their right to do so. There is a well researched book on this with many examples of documents from the UN weapons inspectors files and includes many from Iran as well. I believe the book title was something like "Iran the coming crisis" but not 100% sure that was the title from looking on Amazon. I read this about 8 months ago and I am not a big one to care about the books title, just what is in it.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bluehaze

I think you will find that Iran said they had the right to develop them if they so wished, not that they were actually going to do so.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by prona
I'd pay money to see a sniper splatter his brains all over the podium during his speech. I honestly can't believe my tax dollars are paying for this guy's little vacation to the US. Thinking about that just makes me want to shoot him on sight.

i think i am with you...
i get what peoplw are saying about hearing it right from him, BUT, what makes anyone think that he is going to say anything other than what we want to hear.

a columbia student is on cnn right now saying it's crazy cause college students are not going to be able to engage him in anything more or different than the un or these news guys...

now we're gonna spend mad money on extra security, this, that....some american citizens are probably gonna get tazed diring this free speech debacle.

back to your post....
i just watched a movie called 'shooter' that has dude making shots from over a mile away.....6 second bullet hang time...
i'd like to see the pink mist personally.....that would PWN.....

i don't get the whole free speech issue... he is not a citizen, he has no rights.
he can speak all he wants at the un...he sure as hell don't need to speak at a US college....

this guy is gonna walk around like hs is a movie star with his security and whatever and students are gonna be under the friggin grip of security...

oh well.

this is the world we live in....

when is the ayatollah(sp) coming to town

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

What exactly has he done to you?

I'm just curious as to what inspires so much vitriol.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

eh, i'm not too into guys floating around their turf with signs that say down with america and such, like the ones js posted....
down with america, then he gets to come to america, with american security, to speak at an american university....

nah, i'd rather see the mist..

anyway, apparently this 'effort' to get people involved really is not gonna so all that well. the university is refusing to cancel classes and only 600 people can fit where he is speaking so, thats a whole lot of students that are gonna miss out on this oh so special chance to listen to him pour his heart out in front of is, WITH NO SPIN....

i like how people seem to think that after hearing or reading a transcript of a speech he gives, ONE speech for what, an hour, that they are gonna have a better handle on where he is coming from......
get real

dude could get up there and talk all day....don't mean he isn't just spewing air.....
sit back home in iran and hook us up with a live speech via sattelite feed or something...
let ALL hear his message....
instead, a couple hundred people are going to actually hear it, the rest of us are gonna get snippets from news colums that are gonna rework it, leave stuff out, add stuff. we're gonna read transcripts where you can't get the context.

it's a joke and i can't believe how many people are falling for this....

free speech free speech....

constitution applys to him?
...huh

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Imam ghoft een rezhim-e ishghalgar-e qods bayad az safheh-ye ruzgar mahv shavad

that is EXACTLY what he said

The Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time.

Word by word translation:

Imam (Khomeini) ghoft (said) een (this) rezhim-e (regime) ishghalgar-e (occupying) qods (Jerusalem) bayad (must) az safheh-ye ruzgar (from page of time) mahv shavad (vanish from).

And was said in the context of a summit on `a world without zionism`.

stop misquoting FOX and CNN

they have an agenda which people must DENY IGNORANCE and learn the truth.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The "creative translation" of his quote by MEMRI has been used to great effect by those promoting war. Of further note is that he was comparing the theoretical dismantling of the Israeli state to the collapse of the Soviet Union - which occured IIRC without the wholesale slaughter of the Russian people.

I am no fan of Ahmadinejad or the Iranian theocracy, but the attempts to paint him as some kind of new Hitler are absurd.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
you show em President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,

as for " crasy " . . . hehe wouldent go barkin at the wrong tree , look at the u.s ´s history of blood money ...

if he was the president for the u.s , i bet you would be making money from your own oil and exports abit more and mabye even have a stabil economy...

how can you supress a contry from achiving nuklear stability , what are you afraid of , your own actions ?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Well Bush gets warm welcomes across the US, protesters are moved away from event into free speech zones, lets see if they do the same thing at Columbia. Cheney protest in Utah allowed 2 hour protest, at end signs and posters were not allowed to be taken outside of free speech zone and had to be discarded.

Lets see if this is the same restrictions in New York today. If not it will prove Homeland defence is a political wing of NeoCons.

Also to show that Bush does not arrest people for political speech anyone wearing an anti Iran shirt or having a sign inside auditorium should be arrested.

I do not agree with these measures I am only pointing out the fact they really are political measures.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Those of you who believe Iran should be bombed for having a sign with down with Iran, or those that mean that says they are a threat to us that must be dealt with. I thought you wanted to bring free speech to the middle east? Or is it only speech that supports your position.

Speech against our values helps us not by its accuracy, but by allowing us to prove it inaccurate thereby making our position legitimate

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
LIVE SPEECH ON CSPAN 2

(edit)
My take, Torture? its wrong, and he stonewalled on the question. Torture is wrong and should not happen in Iran, AbuGrabi, or Gitmo.

Freedom of the press, stonewalled, I doubt there press is free, but I am not sure if they are since ours is bought and paid for and supports the corporations. So there is no way I know the answer.

He admitted some Iran weapons were in Iraq, I assume he knows we probably have captured some and did not want a gocha moment after the speech, so he said, a few weapons.

He spoke about how bad lying was, I saw him really try not to blatantly lie, but he was evasive enough to be deceptive. His religious conversation went down the gutter when he did this.

Israel, odd translator cut off. He was speaking that they did not have valid claims and are an aggressor nation. Of coarse Israel is aggressive because of danger. Just a really ugly situation.

Holocaust he brought up denial, he also said that was a European thing why should Israel be in middle east, diverting question back to Israel right to have been established. My guess he thinks it was hyped.

[edit on 24-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up redge.

I'm watching it.

It's channel 357 on my cable for those who have no idea where that channel is. Could be different on yours.

It's no surprise they're televising it on C-Span so nobody will watch it. Cowards!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by jsobecky

They're driving outdated jeeps with "Down with America." All the while we have heavy formations of Apaches and Blackhawks flying mock sorties over my house 6 times a day. We're transporting nukes to fully active and participating air force bases. We're also seeing the same media exposure that Iraq was exposed to before the invasion of that country. How is that lacking any sense?

Because all you see in that one picture are two jeeps, not the entire parade.

Because it matters not if the banners are towed by a jeep or a tank. It's the sentiment that counts.

Because what happens over your house six times a day has nothing to do with this thread.

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
Just because I'm leaving your ignorant thinking in pieces, ripping it to shreds, doesn't necessarily mean I'm defending Iran. There's no reason for the invasion of anymore nations. We've already been blackmarked for our first "freedom" crusade. Instead of you seeing that, you group me with proponents of Iran.

BLINDING LOGIC once again.

Blinding logic, alright. Blinded by compassion for terrorist regimes.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777
LIVE SPEECH ON CSPAN 2

What a hatchet job!

Every question is loaded! The goober running the interview is snickering to the audience. What a douche!

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
He's being interviewed right now on CSPAN-2. Denying everything, of course.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join