It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PROOF: Arctic Seabed 'Belongs to Russia'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   

PROOF: Arctic Seabed 'Belongs to Russia'

news.bbc.co.uk

A Russian expedition has proved that a ridge of mountains below the Arctic Ocean is part of Russia's continental shelf, government officials have said.
[---]

The Arctic is thought to be rich in oil, gas and mineral reserves.

Correspondents say Russia's main rivals for the supposed spoils - the US, Canada and Denmark - have been angered by Moscow's recent aggressive strategy in the region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Russia Claims North Pole in Global Race for Oil
North Pole ice-free in 2030?
Russia lays claim to the North Pole, and all its gas, oil, and diamonds
Russian Sub plants flag under North Pole and claims resources

[edit on 20-9-2007 by khunmoon]

[edit on 20-9-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This is hardly unsuspected news.

I would say, it's pretty quick they have analyzed the results of this summer's media stunt expedition. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it though.

But the signals this 'expedition' and the hasty extracted conclusion displays are worth concern and worry.

Is a possible future war theater the Arctic?

With the summer ice soon gone and increasing demands for exploitation of the last oil, gas and mineral reserves, I think it is not unlikely.

Forget about Denmark (and Canada for the matter) in such a scenario, it'll be US versus Russia.

A good ol' cold war in the icy waters of the North Pole?

With some armed conflicts included, testing the latest weaponery.

Note this from the link:

Marine research official Viktor Posyolov told Russia's Tass news agency the claim could extend Russia's seabed by 1.2m sq km (463,323 sq miles).

He said the territory could potentially yield 10,000 billion tonnes of conventional fuel.

In a further sign of its intent, the Kremlin announced that four strategic bombers were to make training flights over the Arctic and the Atlantic Ocean.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Map

1) North Pole:
Russia leaves its flag on the seabed, 4,000m (13,100ft) beneath the surface
2) Lomonosov Ridge:
Russia argues that this underwater feature is an extension of its continental territory
3) 200-nautical mile (370km) line:
Shows how far countries' agreed
4) Russian-claimed territory:
The bid to claim a vast area is being closely watched by other countries

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
IMO i think its fair enough that Russia claim that territory from looking at the map it looks more theres than the US's.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   
New soil samples prove the Arctic is ours: Russia

Samples of earth taken by Russians who planted a flag on the seabed below the North Pole last month show beyond doubt the Arctic is Russian, its natural resources ministry said on Thursday.
[---]

"We have received preliminary data from an analysis of models of the earth's crust from Arctic 2007 which confirms that the Lomonosov Ridge ... is part of the adjoining continental shelf of the Russian Federation," the statement said.
[---]

Global warming is melting the polar icecaps and governments now believe that it is only a matter of time before they will be able to start exploiting the previously inaccessible seabed below the Arctic icecap.
[---]

"At the present time we are preparing rock samples and materials to document and present to the United Nations commission on ownership of the continental shelf," the statement said.

Last month's expedition, when a mini-submarine dived from a command ship 4,200 m (13,000 feet) below the sea and planted the Russian flag with a mechanical arm, triggered international allegations of a Kremlin stunt.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I thought it WAS proven to be a stunt. Maybe it's 'don't tease the bear' mainstream media tries to constrain. I don't believe for one minute they were down there. Propeganda - Russians are masters of that.

As for the actual North Pole, extending the 200 mile zone borders of all the countries around the Arctic, they will virtually meet at the North Pole.

I don't care much about who "owns" it, I care about the security situation coming out of these claims in the future.

top topics

join