It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to push for Palestinian state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   

US to push for Palestinian state

news.bbc.co.uk

The US secretary of state has said the upcoming Middle East peace summit must address substantive issues and advance the cause of a Palestinian state.

Condoleezza Rice said there was no point inviting the Israelis and the Palestinians to the conference, expected in November, just for show.

Ms Rice made the comments after holding talks with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This seems a bit odd, seeing how Israel just "announced" that Gaza was a "hostile" area. I think this may be a front to keep the Palestinians quiet in case Israel goes to war with Syria. Maybe to be able to use the Golan Heights without much resistance. Thoughts?

-Droops

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Here are a few more stories regarding this thread:

Israel's harder line on Gaza complicates U.S. push for talks
Rice may present US draft for deal

Wonder how this will play out. Maybe it's some sort of counter to President Ahmadinejad's visit to the UN this weekend.

-Droops

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Yeah the last thing this type of thing happenned, there was an inside job ``palestinian attack`` against Israël which cancelled the talks of a palestinian state. I think it will happen again, Israël don't want peace, it's obvious.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I agree with both of you. I strongly doubt Prime Minister Olmert would want peace with the people he has been neglecting for this long. It would be a nice change, but I highly doubt it.

It is a nice change of policy for the US however. Clinton formed a shaky peace between the two in the 90's. Lets hope this administration will actually do something that will bring them some good karma. I'm glad that they are doing this and sending a message to Israel saying "we know you don't like this, but too bad, we want to show them we actually care."

-Droops

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
We should not condone even our best allies supression of basic human rights.

www.theotherzionists.com...

I know, I know...I'll brace myself for the hate. I'm really not against Israel, only their stubbornness and hypocracy. They above all people should have compassion and empathy for the oppressed, reviled and homeless.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I couldn't agree more. I have no problem with the country, or the people. Just their government at times. Everyone deserves a standard of living. I don't care who they are or where they are, everyone is entitled to be treated like a human being. Maybe the Israeli government will stop with their tantrum and understand that these are people that they will be hurting/killing if they continue to subject them to this kind of treatment. I know I know, "what about Hezbollah and them shooting rockets at them?" Well, what would you do if your people were treated like dirt and not given the supplies needed just for sustaining life? The hypocrisy in these types of situations is mind-boggling.

-Droops

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Here is another story about this "push for peace".

Rice is visiting the region and has already met several Israeli leaders, before meeting Abbas on Thursday.

The meeting between Rice and Abbas took place in West Bank a day after Israel declared Gaza 'hostile territory' - a measure that could result in disruption of fuel and electricity to the region.

-Droops

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It's interesting that the Iranian president mentioned this issue during his Q&A session at Columbia. Could this be the issue that we will use for bargaining with a nuclear Iran? Or a further justification for war by either side?

top topics

join