It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paging File

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
OK, this has always confused me and everyone I have talked to tells me something different...

At 1.5Gigs of RAM
AMD Athlon 64

How much should I set the Paging File to???

Thanks in Advance

Semper

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is the standard formula that I've seen most people use:

RAM (in MB) x 3

So in your case, 4608MB should do the trick.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Since you have a 64 bit processor, its not quite as straightforward as it used to be.

Here is the definitive word on page file size for a 64 bit processor running Windows. Read it carefully, because its pretty much gobbley gook to normal people.

The caveat to that is there is a 4,095 MB paging file size limit in Windows. It doesn't look like you need it to me, but the link gives you a workaround for that problem if you choose to go 3x the amount of your physical ram.

In normal speak, yes, you can set it between 1.5 - 3 times the amount of physical memory, which equals 2.25 - up to 4 gig without the workaround.

[edit on 9/21/07 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Good info. I wasn't aware it was very different with 64-bit chips. I'm using a 64-bit AMD as well, though I've got 512MB less RAM than semper.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
OK,

Thanks so far, but still slightly confusing..

How will I know IF I need more Paging File?

I am currently set at

2750 Active
4000 Max

Semper

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Yup, its confusing. Mainly because your page file is based on your needs, rather than a hard fast rule stating use this amount.

Your doing ok though, with the minor caveat that Beachcoma and others have correctly pointed out in another thread that while your current min/max will work fine, most techs don't like to have the min/max set to different values for a variety of reasons, one of them being defragmentation. It'll work like you have it, and opinions vary, its just a personal observation about performance that most of us have picked up on over time.

One easy way to guestimate if you need more paging file without going thru all the gobbly gook in the first microsuck link is to boot your pc from scratch, not hibernate, or sleep, and use your pc heavily during the course of a day, games, etc. Then look at the commit charge. IIRC, If the peak is the same or close to the limit, you may want to bump it up. Be aware thats a simplistic method. Wiki breaks down the commit charge fairly well, so that its understandable, if you need to know how to view it, etc. I doubt you'll ever need more than 4 gig. Unless your running a real server, or doing some very serious gaming/number crunching, your in the right ball park. :up

So, you should be fine with the current setting, either including or ignoring the above caveat. You can "play" with the setting all you want without hurting anything. Set the min/max both at various ranges between 2.25 - 4 gig if you wish, and find which setting works best for your needs. You won't hurt anything but performance even if you set it to zero.

Beachcoma, its really not that different, and the standard 32 bit proceedures can be used, unless your really into tweaking, or you have real CAD - 3D - video editing or server needs. Another thing to keep in mind is if the client or server is running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Winblows on a 64 bit processor or not, so there can be a lot to it, depending on the circumstances. Mainly Micro just likes to make things look complicated for their own reasons. :bnghd:

[edit on 9/21/07 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Actually, it is not always that simple.

First, the max paging file size of 4095 is for a 32 bit operating system-from windows 2000-vista.

To be even more confusing, you can actually have several paging files on a system, just each in a 32bit system is limited to 4095.

The rule of paging file =3X ram is for machines with 1 gig of ram or less.

What changes is if you ave a 64bit Operating System!, then the bianary allows higher numbers as well as crazy amounts of ram.

"Some" people who have between 2 and 4 gigs of ram shut off the paging file altogather.

Like a lot of things, it takes trial and error as well as google searching to find what will be the best solution for you.

Remember folks, people who play with these settings are prepared to reload there computer if the "hose it".

If you are not willing or capable, "don't monkey with settings you don't understand" it will not end well.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

I'm really into tweaking

After going through the information you posted, I'd have to agree with you. M$ is giving the appearance of things being complicated, when it's actually just a minor thing. I could probably write a simple script to change the settings, from the looks of it.

mrmonsoon: t3h 64-bit roxors!!!11!11!! Terabytes of potential RAM! Who needs a page file?

[edit on 22-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

top topics

join