It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bin Laden Urges Pakistanis to Revolt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

CAIRO, Egypt - Al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden called on Pakistanis to rebel against President Gen. Pervez Musharraf in a new recording released Thursday, saying his military's siege of a militant mosque stronghold makes him an infidel.

The storming of the Red Mosque in Islamabad in July "demonstrated Musharraf's insistence on continuing his loyalty, submissiveness and aid to America against the Muslims ... and makes armed rebellion against him and removing him obligatory," bin Laden said in the message.

"So when the capability is there, it is obligatory to rebel against the apostate ruler, as is the case now," he said.

Bin Laden's voice was heard over video showing previously released footage of the terror leader. The video was released Thursday on Islamic militant Web sites and first reported by Laura Mansfield, an American terrorism expert who monitors militant message traffic.

The message, titled "Come to Jihad," was the third from bin Laden this month in a flurry of videos and audiotapes marking the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States.

What are everyone's thoughts on this. This is a bit scary, only becuase of the timing. Not that I think the Pakistanis will follow???? Does anyone know if there are significant links to al Qaida in Pakistan, other than they may be in hiding there? I thought Pakistan was a more "forward thinking" country.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The scary thing is that the Pakistanis might actually listen to OBL. In their eyes, he is the lesser of two evils, the greater of which is their own corrupt government.*

*Based on my conversations with Pakistanis aged 18-25 who are actually from that country, not the expatriates.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
That's scary...

More links:

This one is from the BBC: news.bbc.co.uk...

and one from Fox News (I don't trust Faux News, but I like to keep up with propaganda):
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Oddly enough, I find no reference to it in the local Pak news. I'm not superman though, so there probably is some reference somewhere.

I'm sure they'll get the news somehow.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This ties in neatly with recent news stories of the two exiled former PM's, Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif, both stating their return to Pakistani politics.

Sharif flew into Pakistan from London on the 10th and was promptly detained and forced to leave by Musharraf's gov't, whilst Bhutto made a public address to the world's media on the 14th announcing her imminent return

The question is, who is being backed by who?

I would speculate that Bhutto is being courted by the 'Western' powers as their preferred candidate to lead a 'progressive and democratic' government of the only fully-fledged Muslim nuclear nation as an ally...taking into account the amount of media coverage of the two former PM's attempts to forment an opposition power to Musharraf's military rule

Then we have OBL issuing a rally for Pakistani Muslims to overthrow Musharrafs's govenment...but to be replaced by who?

I'm not sure of the credibility of this particular web-source but it makes for interesting reading in light of these events...

Former Pakistani PM met Bin Laden discussed Jihad - says ex intelligence agent

Karachi, 20 March (AKI) - (Syed Saleem Shahzad) - Former Pakistani prime minister Nawaz Sharif did meet al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden at least three times in order to get financial help, according to Khalid Khawaja, the former official with Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI). In an exclusive interview with Adnkronos International (AKI), Khawaja, once a close friend of Osama bin Laden, rejected the statements by a spokesperson for Sharif's political party, denying that Sharif had sought political cooperation from bin Laden in the past.

"Nawaz Sharif met Osama Bin Laden on at least three occasions and was desperately seeking his financial assistance," Khawaja told AKI in response to recent news reports regarding a possible meeting between the two.

In an interview with a national Urdu daily, Qazi Hussain Ahmad, the leader of the largest Islamic party in Pakistan, the Jamaat-e-Islami (JI), and of the six party religious alliance MMA, said that Nawaz had repeatedly met Osama bin Laden who offered him money to buy the loyalties of parlimentarians in the late 1980s in order to topple the government of then prime minister Benazir Bhutto. Ahmad also said that bin Laden was a big supporter of Nawaz Sharif's bid to be prime minister in 1990.

join