It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Military Says It Nabbed Iranian Commando In Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

U.S. Military Says It Nabbed Iranian Commando In Iraq

www.cnn.com

Coalition forces on Thursday arrested a suspected member of an elite Iranian unit that has been accused of training and equipping insurgents in Iraq, the U.S. military said.

The military said the suspect, who was not identified, is a member of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps - Quds Force.

The U.S. military calls the force "a covert action arm of the Iranian government responsible for aiding lethal attacks against the Iraqi government and coalition forces."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
A suspected Iranian Commando caught in Iraq. Accused of arming and training insurgents, this could very well be THE excuse to start the war machine against Iran. Get ready, this is not very good at all.

www.cnn.com

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Why should it not be a reason to military attack Iran if the suspect is indeed from the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps? And why is this "not very good at all"? I for one consider the capture of Iranian agents in Iraq very important, especially if they are responsible (in any way) for attacks on US troops and citizens alike.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If they would just show us Prof of Iranian involvement then the American people would support punishing Iran. They tell us this stuff all the time and then show us nothing.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo

A suspected Iranian Commando caught in Iraq. Accused of arming and training insurgents, this could very well be THE excuse to start the war machine against Iran. Get ready, this is not very good at all.

www.cnn.com

In my opinion it's a valid reason to remove irans military and goverment through bombing.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Why should it not be a reason to military attack Iran if the suspect is indeed from the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps? And why is this "not very good at all"? I for one consider the capture of Iranian agents in Iraq very important, especially if they are responsible (in any way) for attacks on US troops and citizens alike.

Actually you make my case for me. We agree that it is important to capture any and all agents who are responsible for attacks against allied forces and civilians.
It's the fact that it's an Iranian is what makes it bad. Whether it is real or just perceived, it seems as though the American war machine has been banging on the Iran drum for some time now. To find Iranian military personnel, who are not at war, training the insurgents in Iraq can be interpreted as an act of war.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
To find Iranian military personnel, who are not at war, training the insurgents in Iraq can be interpreted as an act of war.

Still not clear, this is again considered "bad" because of what exactly? The fact that it may cause a defensive-retaliatory war on a county which sponsors through state organizations direct and indirect attacks on our interests, military and citizens?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I misunderstood your original question.
I personally think it's bad, as I do not want to see the US engage in war with Iran.
Our military is already spread much too thin as it is.
The US economy is already in jeopardy due to the current war fronts.
A draft would more than likely be instituted.
More innocent people would be killed.
The potential for the entire Middle east to get involved (Not to mention China and Russia) is practically a given.
Chances are very good that Israel would get involved, and with that many countries with Nuclear capabilities warring with one another, the chances of seeing Mushrooms are very real. And once one goes off............lights out.
That Sir is what I mean when I say it's a bad thing. It's my own opinion, but I do believe it.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
One Iranian men will cause the downfall of civilization as we know it.

Yes lets bomb Iran now we have all the proof we need to push the final chapter of the war profiters agenda.

Deny Ignorance, He said, she said, bush said, Iran said, Israel dictate,we all have to fall for propaganda.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

So using your logic, if Iran captured an American Special Forces soldier who had been training anti-government forces(or conducting missions), do you think they might consider that an act of war? Or would they need to capture more in order to spot a trend, and make up their minds that something was up?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Certainly a possibility however unlikely I think each of those scenarios may be on an individual basis, let alone combined. Still, I would not ignore the current situation and be content with the status quo. Which is complete Iranian involvement in Iraq leading to the deaths of US military personnel and citizens while also undermining our effort in Iraq and in the region. Involvement which they are conducting with no direct and significant repercussions whatsoever. That is not acceptable to me, as an American, especially in light of other Iranian activities. I for one do not want us to idly sit here and proverbially take it up the... This course of action, or lack thereof, not only encourages such activity further but also undermines our global position and credibility. Politically, militarily etc... Even if we disregard the moral factor and focus on practicality we are capable of launching limited retaliatory attacks upon Iranian targets and containing the outfall. As such it is irresponsible, at the very least, for us not to do so given the circumstances.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by sanctum]

[edit on 20-9-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
So using your logic, if Iran captured an American Special Forces soldier who had been training anti-government forces

They're not anti-government, they're anti-US, there's a difference or is there.

Iran caught a British ship in their water and gave the sailors mafia-style sweatsuits, and food and water for cryin' out loud. What leads you to believe the US guy would be treated any different?

Peace

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Pro Us forces from the Pushtan mountains where doing attacks inside Iran, blowing up Busses and bridges and such. Pure terrorist, when the CIA was confronted they said, they have connections and training operations but do not directly fund them so they are not responsible.

People need to leave the fake little safe world of the USA being this freedom spreading engine, we have done plenty wrong in many countries. It was only 54 years ago that we last overthrew Iran, there are people who still remember that over there.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If true this wasnt some mercenary acting of his own accord.This is a well trained iranian special forces soldier training forces to kill coalition troops.The iranian government is responsible for his presence there as well as the powerful roadside bombs killing and maiming the troops.Cut off the head and the body will die....

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Iran caught a British ship in their water
Peace

Offtopic but wasn't it disputed/international waters they were captured in?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
Offtopic but wasn't it disputed/international waters they were captured in?

Yes, I believe it was disputed by FOX News.

Don't you just love the propaganda machine?

Peace

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Are you serious? The only one spreading propaganda here is you, go do some more research before posting irrational nonsense.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

If they're Iranian, and they're in Iraq fighting against the Iraqi government, that sounds like a pretty clear example of being anti-government. The point is that they're in another country, killing Americans. That's a hostile act-period.

The Brits weren't in Iranian waters by the way, and they weren't conducting combat operations. If they'd been killing Iranians prior to their capture, I doubt their treatment would've been the same.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by BlueRaja]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Iran caught a British ship in their water and gave the sailors mafia-style sweatsuits, and food and water for cryin' out loud. What leads you to believe the US guy would be treated any different?

Peace

Woah woah woah there, in thier waters? Its legally iraqi waters so I think maybe you should recheck your facts. Also Iran hasnt signed the UNCLOS so any demands they make under it are void, plus military vessels are immune to UNCLOS.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
So many of you gladly accept rumor, heresay and outright propaganda from dubious sources when its accusing the US and/or the Bush Administration of evil/illegal acts. But then you turn around and demand a mountain of proof before you're willing to consider that our enemies are capable of such acts.

I think its disingenuous to assume that we would launch a war against Iran soley based on the capture of this Iranian member of the Quds force. When it comes to making a case for an attack on Iran, there's already more than enough justification. They've been attacking US citizens and interests since 1979. They hold weekly "Death to America" parades, for Christ's sake. What exactly will it take for you guys to finally admit that something needs to be done about an Islamofascist dictatorship that happens to be the world's largest state sponsor of terrorism, seeking nuclear weapons?

You guys need to stop underestimating our military's strength and ability. You need to stop buying into the liberal media's incorrect assessment of the situation in Iraq, which you're using as a basis for your fear of confronting Iran.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join