It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LOL Harrier pilot ejects at beach Dee De Dee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
This cought my eye this morning aparntly this pilot had some mech problems

[edit on 20-9-2007 by semperfi221]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
That crash was Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK in 2002 and the board of inquiry found it to be the result of pilot error, not mechanical failure.

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Yup, I was there..

IIRC as he pulled the lever to move the jet from hover to forward flight he caught something which killed the engine power.

The Harrier was left in the water for quite some time too before they could get the equipment there to pull it out.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Stoo]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I've never seen that footage before - WOW! I love watching military planes especially harriers. I'm surprised that they fly them that close to what appears to be civilians out enjoying the beach. I would have loved to see that in person!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If you crash a multi million plane like that are you permenetly grounded?

All that water around and he still landed on the hard surface of the plane. ouch.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I believe you get demoted and temporarily grounded. I doubt it's grounds for permanent as the aircraft is still recoverable and possibly even fly worthy after repairs.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
I believe you get demoted and temporarily grounded. I doubt it's grounds for permanent as the aircraft is still recoverable and possibly even fly worthy after repairs.

Shattered OUT...

No, that type of crash will over stress the airframe, it will be decommissioned and struck off the asset list - the cost would be too high to return the airframe to flight condition, especially as its had a dunk in salt water as that would add extra cost.

Various parts will probably be reconditioned, including maybe the engine and weapons, others will be beyond use.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Makuahine
I've never seen that footage before - WOW! I love watching military planes especially harriers. I'm surprised that they fly them that close to what appears to be civilians out enjoying the beach. I would have loved to see that in person!

The angle is a bit deceptive, it was more than 400 metres away from the crowd, as per regulations

new topics

top topics

join