It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee bans lethal injection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Tennessee bans lethal injection

news.bbc.co.uk

A judge in Tennessee has ruled the state's method of executing prisoners by lethal injection is illegal because it is a cruel and unusual punishment.

Federal judge Aleta Trauger said inmates were not properly anesthetised before the injection was administered.

This presented a "substantial risk of unnecessary pain" to inmates and violated their constitutional rights.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I'd really like to hail this as a step forwards against capital punishment, but that is not the case.
Due to some botched executions, this method has been ruled a cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of prisoners constitutional rights - I know the pro DP people are going to yell about criminals even having rights, but that's nott the issue here.

The judge who ordered the executions stopped has said that they can be carried out when a more humane method is introduced.

Tennessee is not the first state to block or stop this method, but has now adopted this approach until a more "humane" method can be found.
Even Arnie in california has ordered a review!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I guess it's a good thing but what else are they going to use?

Execution is a means to an end and, as much as it pains me to say it, there are some people that simply don't deserve to live. Pedophiles and rapists fall into this category, the crimes they commit are worthy of death.

So, if not the injection, which I'm glad causes them pain, what else? A bullet to the head? Or keep them alive leeching off society like a cancer?

apc

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Nitrogen asphyxiation. Painless with no sensation of suffocation because you breathe nitrogen all the time anyway. You don't even know something's wrong until your blood oxygen levels deplete and you pass out.

While I think some people deserve to have their skin removed with a potato peeler and intestines eaten by rats one inch at a time... you can't get much more "humane" than nitrogen asphyxiation.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by apc]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
That seems like a good method. Gives 'em the time to feel the terror they inflicted on their victims.

If it was up to me though, I'd have these bastards boiled alive, they don't have human rights because they are less than human.

top topics

join