It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nimrod, the mighty hunter before Yahweh.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Hello All,

I'm looking to compile as much information as I can about this character. Needless to say, wikipedia entries for him and the Tower of Babel have both been considered, but several statements appear not to have sources.

For example, from the Wiki entry on Nimrod (bible):

"In others, it is a later rebellion after Nimrod failed in his confrontation with Abraham, and in still other versions, Nimrod does not give up after the Tower fails, but goes on to try storming Heaven in person, in a chariot driven by birds."

I would like to know where the concept of Nimrod's one-man assault on God in Heaven came from! (and, respect to Nimrod for having the balls, frankly).

Why does Nimrod hate God so?

Also if anyone has any speculations (and references to reputable sources would be excellent) that they would like to postulate for investigation, that would really help.

I can't actually post out my reasoning + evidence right now(hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work we go...), but it appears that Nimrod is Gilgamesh.

Thanks all,

Carl

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Watch out sun matrix will be all over this like a fly on poo.

He has a Nimrod obsession.

Any rate as far as I know that is the only mention of him in the Bible, or anywhere for that matter.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Don't wiki anything for serious work. Most articles are crap and you have just scratched the surface. You need to do some actual research in a decent library with real books.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
Don't wiki anything for serious work. Most articles are crap and you have just scratched the surface. You need to do some actual research in a decent library with real books.

Hence the reason I'm here! Do you have any suggestions?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm not that familiar with Nimrod, but I found that the Masons have some deal on him.

Some stories about Nimrod from the Talmud:

www.sacred-texts.com...

www.sacred-texts.com...

Jewish folk song about Nimrod

Good luck finding what you're looking for.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I thought the important part of the story of Nimrod included Semerimis, his wife.

Nimrod was killed and she somehow brought him back to life and they had a child.

Actually the strange part is that Semerimis became Isis, Nimrod Osiris, and the child Horus.

This somehow in her eyes put the 3 of them in the catagory of living Gods and the stage was set for man to be worshipped like Gods at that time in history.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I thought the important part of the story of Nimrod included Semerimis, his wife.

Nimrod was killed and she somehow brought him back to life and they had a child.

Actually the strange part is that Semerimis became Isis, Nimrod Osiris, and the child Horus.

This somehow in her eyes put the 3 of them in the catagory of living Gods and the stage was set for man to be worshipped like Gods at that time in history.

where did you hear this?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Here's something you should be interested in,......The Two Babylons

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I downloaded alot of chapters of this story.

Don't have access to them now. but here is a good read on the subject.

www.buzzardhut.net...

I am reading the book offered by ClearSkies, now. Thanks, CS.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

You're very welcome!
I like that link you gave.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Read your link. It contained a lot of both good and bad info. Without going very deep.........the dating at places is wrong. Also anything that has to do with the Quran....we know it is error because Abraham did not live at the time of Nimrod.

I did find it interesting that they tracked back to Nimrod as the moon god Sin who we know as Allah. This is correct and is one of the many variations of Nimrod. Normally, the moon god is female, and the sun god male. Nimrod is usually depicted as the sun god....Baal a male diety. And Semiramis becomes the moon goddess Ishtar at her death.

Tammuz the child becomes the reincarnated Nimrod....the false savior.

The article correctly pointed out that both Mirthraism and Baalism are similar and both can be traced back to Babylon.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The board says the last post on this thread was made by Sun Matrix.

Hmmmm. I don't see the post. Would you care to repost, Sun Matrix?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.BenjaminI would like to know where the concept of Nimrod's one-man assault on God in Heaven came from!

It comes from the Midrash, the Jewish commentaries on the Old Testament (written sometime after the OT was written.)

(and, respect to Nimrod for having the balls, frankly).

Why does Nimrod hate God so?

It has to do with rabbinical teaching tales -- they need moral examples. "Nimrod" meand "rebellion" in Hebrew. Like the AmerInd god, Coyote, Nimrod was used as sort of the Typical Bad Boy in many tales to teach people about what was moral and proper.

I can't actually post out my reasoning + evidence right now(hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work we go...), but it appears that Nimrod is Gilgamesh.

The better evidence is that he's based on Sargon of Akkadia and his grandson, Naram-Sin.
www.springerlink.com...

A midrash-based commentary on his clothing. Note that in several tales, he is murdered by Esau:
www.biu.ac.il...

In this one, scroll down to "Nimrod" where there's a discussion of the Midrash section on Nimrod and some of the interpretations:
www.aish.com...

In some of the midrashes, he is linked with Rome:
books.google.com...

So... in order to collect the ancient information, you will have to go to the midrashes. I would also strongly suggest that you get the interpretations FROM a REAL Jewish site and that if you have questions, you find and ask a real rabbi.

Other interpretations are likely to be colored by another culture. The Jewish culture is very complex and some of the traditions that appear similar to modern things have quite another meaning. Ask the rabbis, first and foremost, since the writings are Jewish and you need an interpreter for some of the things.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by Byrd]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well it seems I can't see any of Sun Matrix posts.

He must be on ignore by me, but I didn't know I put him or anyone else on ignore.

How do you unignore someone?

Sorry for the derail

[edit on 21-9-2007 by interestedalways]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
What's wrong with Sunmatrix's posts??? This isn't the first time.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
i like a few of my friends find the bibles account does not tally with the image of the almighty loving god.why does god feel threatened by nimrod,?if all those religious zealots opened thier eyes to see they,ll learn that it shows the one thing religion is threatened by--wisdom. it says that god looked down and saw the children of men building the tower and said..the people are as one,theres nothing that can be impossible to them,let us put division between them lest they build into heaven [and become like gods].this reveals a god not always fair,not always just or selfless..but sadly a threatened one,one of pride and as they say a jealous god,afraid of losing touch his control over the minds and lives of men he,d rather keep them in darkness and ignorance.if mankind work together,there is nothing impossible to us,i think nimrod proved that,big ups to nimrod,a true hero of mankind!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

top topics

join