It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Commercial coming to a website near you...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This is the one I have been waiting for... In a very short time advertisers will be able to simply paste their current television commercial (no transfer to Macromedia required) to the website of their choice.

Obviously the big websites that rely on advertising dollars are going to be renting a few square inches of their home pages out at a premium to show these commercials.

Another interesting twist on this is companies won't need to develop "web specific" advertising unless they want to. Imagine loading up your favorite search engine and there in the upper right hand corner is the commercial you just saw on ESPN TV.

Growth in internet advertising has been stagnated somewhat by the pop up blocker (GREATEST WEB INVENTION EVER) so Madison Avenue has been searching for a new way to get the word out to you, the web user...

money.cnn.com...

PEACE...
m...

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Heard about this on the radio this morning - the idea stinks.

I wonder if it would be considered theft of my bandwidth to run this junk.

I can visualize your favorite website (not ATS) covered with these commercials while the info you wanted is scrolled through 3 lines at a time on the bottom, gotta max those profits.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I guess we need to get busy with an invention to counter this
I agree with Springer on the pop up blocker being the greatest web invention ever

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Websites have to pay the bills somehow and IMHO this is better than pop ups. Assuming it is held to a small sqaure that you can scroll down to avoid if you don't want to see it I don't have a problem with it.

As businessman myself I would NOT spend the extra money for one of these unless mine was the ONLY one on that page. To have more than one running on any page would be worthless.

PEACE...
m...

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I work part-time in the marketing division of a webdesign company. We decided to put up high-detail captures of the products tv commercials but with frames dropped.

DSL(90kb/s down) load time is perfect(actually flash-video) and it gives the whole website a damn nice touch.
You also have this "aha"-effect that people discover things they alreay know from TV.

When bandwith increases more and more internet will then become what I am patiently waiting for: No more bull# websites but websites which look like DVD menu's. Greeeeaaaaat!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I actually see a blending of TV and the web in the VERY NEAR future... I see this blending happening to the extent TV becomes obsolete OR it becomes the source feed for the web...

PEACE...
m...

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
s'cuse me... b-b-b-b-uuurrrrrp ah... Unicast came in an demoed this for me about 9 months ago, old news. They download small pieces of the video in the background, over time, until the entire 30 second spot is available to play in your browser... a 30 second spot... a static video... non-interactive... probably complete with the 1-800 number tag at the end. blah boring c'mon Springer! you and I have talked... I expected better from you!
If anything, history has shown us how media diverges, and this is a convergence of TV and web. Think of it, TV diverged into "home entertainment" with DVD's, video games, digital cable, pay-per-view, and more. The "web" as we know it is only about 7 years old, and we're not going to be able to shoe-horn the old-comfortable ways of doing things into digital media. The dot-com boom-and-bust showed us this, and Unicast hasn't learned.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You may want to reconsider your thoughts here... I beleive TV is going to be DEVOURED by the web...

If you misunderstood my point than I understand... If you think otherwise I am VERY interested in why.

This is a matter of business plans for the future. The efficiency of TRUE broadband (I'll grant you it is still on the horizon) IMHO is going to consume not only TV but telephony, the US Postal Service and a few other things we are used to.

I beleive Divergence is the painful pregnency that gives birth to a much more efficient CONVERGENCE that will cause new innovations we have yet to conceive of to fill the void.

To think that TV and snail mail are going to survive in the long term is naive in my mind... For that matter the only thing saving radio is the efficiency of its distribution, (a small device that can be planted in the dash of a car) IF radio required the equipment TV does I'd be signing its death warrant tonight as well...

PEACE...
m...

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I actually think this is a good idea. Perhaps this can get rid of all pop-ups all together. i hate those damned things. even with a pop-up blocker, some still seem to leak through.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Not many places you can go these days without a product or service being rammed down your throat. The advertisers are smothering us, its crazy. Just like my remote control allows me to change the channel during tv commercials, my mouse can rid me of all these annoying ads.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
At least with pop-ups, you can close the windows or try to block them out. I completely agree that this is a waste of bandwith and after the few novelty new-idea months that it's out, you will come to hate it.

By the way, who watches commercials anyway?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
While I'll agree that advertising is not the best form of entertainment I can think of... We do live in a free market society and bills have to be paid for servers, bandwidth, people's time to manage a site, etc...

Advertising is the only model that works in most cases. I would venture a guess that if all of a sudden ATS cost $9.95 a month the active membership would decline dramatically.

Fortunately, the management of ATS has seen fit to avoid all the obtrusive means of revenue generation and only asks that we click one google ad a day, nothing to it. But rest assured donations are needed too.

PEACE...
m...

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Interesting. Did anyone try or know anyone that tried one of those "free computer" deals where you got free internet too, but the comp was rigged for half screen streaming advertising while on-line?

That was all the rage (sortof) for about a minute here. A company in Charlotte gave away thousands of PC's before going bankrupt.
I think they were quite slow, bad comps.

top topics

join