It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wheelchair-Bound Woman Dies After Being Shocked With Taser 10 Times

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Ok, I read that news article, and that was sickening. How many GROWN POLICEMEN does it freaking take to cuff and elderly, sick woman. Come one people this is nuts. What IS the world comming to? If I had any say, I would fire everyone of those policeman (except maybe the first one) and pay my dues to that womans family.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
She died afterward from injuries sustained, but how is that any different than someone being shot in the chest, then bleeding out in the hospital?

remember, 160 seconds of high voltage electricity being pumped through someone's body. That's no joke. IF the police don't understand the dangers of it, then they have no business being police. It seems to me like they either overreacted to a situation that didn't require the force they used, or they enjoyed using the taser so much that they overdid it. Either way, I don't think they should be officers anymore, and I do believe they should should serve jail time for involuntary manslaughter at the least.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by neformore
You need to think that one through a bit.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. The shock is a lot more likely to make her let go of the knife than to make a slicing motion across her neck.

Peace

actually, while being electrocutes people's muscles tend to contract - therefore giving her an even stronger grip on the knife.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
But no control over what the knife does. After the first shock the police should have been able to restrain, and subdue her. At least knock her out of the chair.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Just another day in the life of a cop.Can't wait for even more "non-lethal" weapons to be deployed.heh

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Ras with all due respoect I am not going to even attempt to talk about the issue with you. Everyone knows you dislike all cops you have made that clear time and time again. With that aside yes they were allowed to use force even leathal force if need be she was armed and dangerous. Knives can kill just as easy as guns or didn't you know that?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Yeah, why do we dislike America... its a mystery!

Poor old lady, may god rest her soul.

What does that have to do with America? It was 2 individuals who obviously abused their authority and will now face punishment. This happens in countless other country's but they don't have freedom of the press so no one knows. So I'm left to assume nothing like this has or ever had happened in the shangri la utopia society in which you live in?

I love ill informed individuals who judge an entire country based off of one or two people. Where do you live? I'm sure I can find some skeletons hidden in your country's past/present. Say hi to the Dali Lama for me.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

the fact that she was in a chair and mental was reason enough to WAIT...pretty simple....the cops were afraid of her safety so they had to crank her up 10 times??

None of us were there so who are we to judge which is the right or wrong action? We did not witness what took place. I have always been told one is innoicient until proven guility not the guilty until proven innoicent.

While you on the other hand have them all convicted and probably sentenced to life.:shk:

You may very well be right and perhaps the Police were in the wrong but unlike you I am not going on what the family says without knowing the police version of events. For all I know the knive may have slashed one of their shirts (I am not saying that is the case just saying it could be possible)

[edit on 9/19/2007 by shots]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

she was obviously asking for it. there are a certain set of standards you are expected to abide by when conducting yourself in public. She obviously didn't want to cooperate, and they had no choice.

i figured I'd say it before someone else did.

The responsibilities of police isn't to enforce "public standards", it's to enforce law. That's because what you consider standard may be different from what I consider standard, so instead of using something so transient, we write down basic principles most of us can agree on and use them as law. Obviously, this woman needed to be arrested. In that case the police have a responsibility to subdue the woman in the quickest, safest way possible. I could understand the one officer who tasered the woman for five seconds, that seems justifiable. But do you really think the other nine times (160 seconds, 2min. 40sec.) was necessary? The woman was elderly and in a wheelchair, that kind of force isn't justifiable.

Taser's can be just as lethal as a gun, especially when overused, and police tend to overuse them because they see them as the perfect nonlethal weapon. There are alternatives, be it old fashioned billy sticks or pepperspray or new weapons like airpowerd rifles that fire pepper spray pellets, that have a much smaller chance of being lethal.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by shots

All due respect shots, if you can point out one comment I've made where I said that I dislike all cops, then I'd be amazed. I admit that I've advised using caution when dealing with the police as they have the capacity to do one a great deal of harm, but I've never said that I dislike all police. Quite the contrary actually.

As for knives killing people, of course they can kill people, but descretion must be used when using deadly force, and just because someone is weilding a dangerous weapon does not mean that deadly force is immediately required. especially when the assailant is in a wheelchair and has severely limited mobility

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm absolutely disgusted by the volume of posts by armchair police officers on this forum. "Well, gosh, if I was there, I would've done ultrajudo moves and gotten those weapons out of her hands".

YOU WEREN'T THERE, STOP SECOND-GUESSING THOSE WHO WERE.

Courtesy is Mandatory
Terms & Conditions of Use

[edit on 9-19-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
I'm absolutely disgusted by the volume of posts by armchair police officers on this forum. "Well, gosh, if I was there, I would've done ultrajudo moves and gotten those weapons out of her hands".

YOU WEREN'T THERE, JACKASS, STOP SECOND-GUESSING THOSE WHO WERE.

Is ultrajudo necessary for someone in a wheelchair? Take two steps to the left ands you're out of range of any attack. And if she follows, you've just disarmed at least half of her arsenal. And don't call me a jackass.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

That doesn't exactly explain how one is to get the weapons out of her hands without sustaining grievous injury.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

There seems to be quite a rash of police abuse reports coming out lately. I'm sure the police have been abusing their power since the moment they got power, but it is good that the public is made aware of such abuses.

Yea this type of abuse has been going on for quite a few years now, pregnant women, parents holding their babies, children as young as 5, 80 year old men and women, college kids that refuse to yield the microphone at a speech and now a wheelchair bound woman..
And there will STILL be people that will claim that "they deserved it", defending the cops regardless of the circumstances.
One reason that I think this is happening is because cops no longer want to waste their time trying to talk to a person. They are abandoning the social part of their jobs and they probably think that they are wasting their time on a BS call like this when they could be out on a "real call" where their might be a chance to really shoot somebody.
I also blame it on the departments for having the policies that allow such a liberal use of this "non-lethal" weapon..

"Sir, throw your sticks down now-
but their my crutches, if i throw them down i'll fall down-
I said put them down now-
Officer, I cant-
Zap, pzzzzzzzzzzzt-
Sir, get off the floor now

Haha, the supporters are already out in force.. jeez
for every incident they have an excuse..
My father was a cop for 30 years in Dallas Tx and even hes disgusted by this crap

HEY that 5 year old child really had sharp teeth-
That pregnant woman out-weighed that cop by 50 lbs

give me a break!

[edit on 9/19/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
especially when the assailant is in a wheelchair and has severely limited mobility

Nowhere did I read she was severely disabled. In a wheel chair yes but neither you nor I know if she has severally limited mobility. Your choice of words not mine. Now prove she was severely disabled. Oh wait you cannot because you were not there.

While you are at it tell me how many police were on the scene one two three four or 20. If it were as normal I would suspect two on scene (but I could be wrong) that would mean one officer might have been watching the second party involved for safety reasons. What I am getting at is until we know all the facts it is stupid to say the police were absolutely wrong because we know little of anything other then what the story provides for information and the family we know of course is always going to make it look the police were at fault standard procedure in lawsuit's.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Another news story about the police. What is this, Police Abuse Month or something? Or is ATS just reporting more stories of this nature than normal due to paranoia? Either way, it's sickening unless further facts show up to prove otherwise.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
ughhh this stuff annoys me..i am currently in the academy of corrections to become a corrections officer and they constantly tell us about use of force and what not to do etc..these cops KNEW what they were doing damn them abusing their power.. it's always force plus one..like say someone is punching you you CAN punch them back if you're getting the crap beat out of you by someone hella bigger than you CAN use deadly force for fear of your own life or others etc..but i dont get where these cops get off doing this..especially on someone incapacitated!! UGHHH ANNOYING... as someone somewhat involved in law enforcement this hella annoys me.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Under maximum security...they should now be made to clean the backsides and underwear of mentally challenged eldery people for the rest of their life.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
DER...capsicum spray !!!!

Why the need for tasering on an already incapacitated person in a wheelchair

Those cops are off the chain.

res

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
OK, I'm also totally disgusted with the abuse of the term "incapacitated" on this thread. Just because she couldn't walk doesn't mean she was incapacitated! In fact, quite the opposite was true, as she was dangerously wielding deadly weapons.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join